Contribute
Register

Catalina USB stick install problem PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390Aorus pro
CPU
I9 9900 K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dear Everyone

The setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Pro
CPU: Intel i9900K
Video: Gigabyte Vega 56 8Gb
RAM: 32 Gb 3200Mhz
SSD 2 Samsung Evo 960 500Gb
SSD 2 Samsung Evo 960 250Gb
BluTooth + Wifi card
5 HD
Corsair Cooling
Corsair PSU

I already built 4 Hackintosh to myself and for the family in the last 4 years with relative success, they all worked with some sleep problem here and there.
These were built using older simpler mobo and cpu.. all worked fine.

With this setup I really struggle (i don't know if it is the motherboard or the videocard I have all kind of issues)

I could install Mojave but have problems with it (no sleep and no shutdown etc...)

Decided to go up to Catalina. I am quite a noob but I always used TonyMacx tools and they always worked ... not this time...

I downloaded the latest Catalina install from Apple Store 10.15.6
Downloaded Unibeast 10.3 Catalina version and MultiBeast 12.3 Catalina Edition.

Pendrive is a good quality SanDisk 16Gb USB 3, but I attached it to a USB 2 port at the back of the computer as it should be.
Erased and formated to MacOS Extended. Wrote the USB as it should be used the UEFI option as always.

In the BIOS set all to what is described at the Install portion of this website. It works with my Mojave installation so it should be OK.

I attache the new Install Catalina USB pen drive to the USB2 back port, press the F12 at start as it should work.

I see the Sandisk name in the list but there is NO SandiskUEFI Partition 1

I experineced before that ONLY that works if I start the install with this UEFI Partiton.

And it is just not there. I rewrote the pendrive several times i also tried other pendrives without any succes.

If I start the install from the Sandisk name than it strats but imediatly stop and it goes back to the Aorus Pro logo.

I just cannot install it. I also have a Mojave and a High Sierra pendrive and those shows the UEFI Partition 1 label (but they also don't install)

There must be some problem here
Please help if you can!!!!!

Thanks
rockjano

If you "Get Info" on both Unibeast and Multibeast, you should have Unibeast version 10.3.0-2 and Multibeast 12.3.0-3. Also what version of your motherboard BIOS are you running? You might need to update it using "Q-Flash."

Hi

Thank You for the reply

My Unibeast is 10.3.0-2 and Multibeast is 12.3.0-3 just as you wrote these are the latest in this site. I even tried with an older Unibeast (also Cataline compatible just somewhat older) but that did not help either (of course)

I just don't understand what the problem could be???

Thanks
rockjano

Hi wstrom
Thanks

Yes mine has BIOS F10 version. I upgraded it to F12d (the newest) but it did not help and I had problems finding the right things in the BIOS (Vt-d and stuff like that) so I downgraded it ..means reinstalled the F10 version. I just don't really think that my problem has anything to do with what kind of BIOS version I have. I made several hackintosh before I did not upgraded the BIOS and they all worked... not to mention that I have a working BIOS save if I upgrade it that will be lost..

Thanks
rockjano

... The setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Pro
CPU: Intel i9900K
Video: Gigabyte Vega 56 8Gb
RAM: 32 Gb 3200Mhz
SSD 2 Samsung Evo 960 500Gb
SSD 2 Samsung Evo 960 250Gb
BluTooth + Wifi card
5 HD
Corsair Cooling
Corsair PSU...

When you prepare the USB stick do you erase the volume selecting GUID partition scheme?

Hi milicue

I always erase the stick with MacOS Extended (Journaled) should I try to partition it before??? I can only select GUID when I partition it. I will try it now, partiton to GUID and than I rewrite the USB it might work that way

Thank You

Thank You miliuca

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! That was exactly the problem. It was masterBootVolume not GUID partition scheme.
I don't know if I will be able to install from it or not but now it shows up in the boot list as it should be.
Good old Apple try to hide from us everything in Disk Utiity... drives me crazy

Thanks lot!!!
rockjano

... Thanks lot!!!
rockjano

:)

You understand the reason right? If the motherboard is configured to boot as UEFi, it only recognizes GUID schemes as boot devices. In order to boot from MBR, the board would have to be configured as Legacy. With modern boards it is not worth it. Boot disks and devices have to be partitioned as GUIDs, but data disks can be GUIDs or MBRs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back