Contribute
Register

Catalina - Safari Crashing on Video Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today it did it again with amazon prime ...
Catalina says that silverlight needs update. But i don't see any difference after installing or uninstalling Silverlight.
Is this ... microsoft software still needed ?
Also i can't help to notice that we all use RX 580 in this topic. Could be relevant.

Most of the video streaming sites switched to HTML 5 for video streaming. This supports HDCP which typically what caused problems with the Playback - the DRM was killing it.

This was working prior to Catalina for me (I was setup with Headless IGP, with a iMac Pro system definition).

Chrome still works flawlessly (I suspect its using the AMD 580 for playback and DRM), same with iTunes - its just got awful Safari that not only refuses to playback the video but actually crashes the desktop.

I just finished the upgrade to Catalina, as in Movaje a number of things worked great:

1) Netflix/PrimeVideo etc. in Chrome
2) Apple TV Streaming.

I have found a weird issue with Netflix, CraveTV, Prime Video in Safari - the minute I access the site - my computer locks up.

Is this happening to Anyone else? Chrome is rock solid - AppleTV and ITunes are rock solid - but Safari is locking up.

PS. I disabled all extensions to see if they were causing the issue.

I'm also having the same problem as OP. Funnily enough, YouTube works fine. I get the crashes primarily with Netflix and Plex Web app.

I've tried it on a clean install with Catalina 15.1 with Whatevergreen/Lilu in both eft>Clover>Kexts>Other as well as S/L. Same crashes.

I haven't tried adding Shiku and FakePCIID kexts as some places have suggested as I understand they are part of Whatevergreen now. I will try them to see if it makes any difference.

@shamster you are on RX570, interesting, although very similar cards.
Just did a .. crash test with Netflix again after 10.15.1.
I confirm that:
Safari crashes ...
Chrome works fine
And for all the chrome haters out there, like me...
Firefox works great
Opera works as well

@shamster you are on RX570, interesting, although very similar cards.
Just did a .. crash test with Netflix again after 10.15.1.
I confirm that:
Safari crashes ...
Chrome works fine
And for all the chrome haters out there, like me...
Firefox works great
Opera works as well

Thanks for the heads up, caniggia. That's useful to know.

Ok, ive had some progress on this. I used Hackintool to correct my PlatformID of my iGPU. The framebuffer info was inconsistent with what I had. I used this guide:

to change it. I also had to change my smbios from iMac Pro to 18,3 to match my hardware as well as the PlatforID data.

Now:

Plex web works perfectly in Safari. No problems at all. (this was my main problem)

Neflix doesn't crash my computer but gives me playback error when I try to play: "Unexpected Error....Error Code: S7363-1260-FFFFD089"

As a side effect to this tinkering, my Sidecar with my iPad works perfectly. I have never managed to get this to work before. Just used to get black screen.

Still trying to figure this out....

Has anyone tried this with the newest version of WhateverGreen (1.3.5)? There was a note in the changelog that read:

• Fixed FairPlay DRM playback patches on 10.15
  • Added shikigva=16 (repurposed) property to use AMD hardware DRM decoder in select apps
  • Added shikigva=128 (repurposed) property to use hardware decoder for FairPlay 1.0 (can be used as shikigva=144)
Has anyone tried with iMacPro1,1 with any of these settings + Netflix/Amazon Prime in Safari? I intend to tinker with it later today once I'm back at my desk.

Has anyone tried this with the newest version of WhateverGreen (1.3.5)? There was a note in the changelog that read:

• Fixed FairPlay DRM playback patches on 10.15
  • Added shikigva=16 (repurposed) property to use AMD hardware DRM decoder in select apps
  • Added shikigva=128 (repurposed) property to use hardware decoder for FairPlay 1.0 (can be used as shikigva=144)
Has anyone tried with iMacPro1,1 with any of these settings + Netflix/Amazon Prime in Safari? I intend to tinker with it later today once I'm back at my desk.

KarlKupermang, could you try these and get any results?

KarlKupermang, could you try these and get any results?
I tried on a test drive, and it didn't seem to fare any better. Now I'm getting unsupported plugin errors on Amazon Prime and I've since cancelled Netflix. Disney+ also fails. *shrug*

I've gone back to Mojave on this machine and Amazon and Disney+ work, HBOGO does not (same error).

I tried on a test drive, and it didn't seem to fare any better. Now I'm getting unsupported plugin errors on Amazon Prime and I've since cancelled Netflix. Disney+ also fails. *shrug*

I've gone back to Mojave on this machine and Amazon and Disney+ work, HBOGO does not (same error).
I also gave a try with WEG 1.3.5 and Lilu 1.4.0, tested shikivga=16, 128,144 with SMBIOS 18.2,19.1 AND macpro1.1. In all cases I get red screen with audio on Netflix and Amazon Prime in Safari. I think there are still some changes will be added to WEG in final release For now, I am using Kodi to get 1080p Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back