i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti, HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is the first time I installed macOS on PC. Surprisingly I eliminated some minor problems very quickly regarding formatting drives, etc and now I have a fully working Catalina 10.15.4 thanks to tonymacx86 guides! According to the Buyer's Guide I don't have compatible hardware but I gave it a go and the system was up and running in an hour. Wow!

USB drives, SSD drives (external/internal), gigabit Ethernet, etc, almost everything works, even my Asus USB headset works.

However what doesn't work properly is the integrated audio and the video driver. There is no audio coming out from the motherboard and no devices visible in audio settings (only my USB headset if I plug it in and it works). About the display: Alienware AW3420DW, ultra wide 3440x1440.

I have nice crisp image in full resolution but the graphics, the scrolling and the mouse feels very slow and stuttering, I also see some blinking artifacts on window titles. It's like when there is no driver installed on Windows PC. In System Pereferences / Display I cannot select any other resolution or setting.

My config is: Asrock B85M Pro4 motherboard, i7-4790K (4th Gen Haswell), Asus nVidia GTX1080Ti, audio chip Realtek ALC892. I followed the MultiBeast instructions and selected some drivers looked appropriate. Here is the setup:

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 6.38.52.png

I don't see any available video driver in the Downloads menu for Catalina. Can I safely install the High Sierra drivers?
I don't know what is VoodooHDA audio drivers.

I read a lot of Catalina topics and guides on this forum but I am a bit lost know among these all new things. Can someone please point me to the right direction where to proceed with the video and audio issue?

Thanks!

Hello,
CPU : i5-9600K
MB : MSI Z87-G55
GPU: (GTX970 deactivated; on iGPU)

About the video issue, I fear that no drivers are availables for Nvidia boards for Catalina and Mojave.

I experienced the issue with my GTX970, the output works (slowly) but it is not recognized (in Apple > About my Mac, I had only "5M output" displayed) and you cannot configure it.

I order to avoid changing my graphic board for an AMD, I use the internal intel iGPU (I have 2 bios profiles, GPU from PCIe if I want to use Windows or I select internal GPU if I want to use MacOS that I use only for coding)...

I am maybe wrong (and I hope so) but from what I have seen, there is no other solution for now (internal GPU or get AMD GPU).

About the Audio I have the same chip Realtek ALC892. Using AppleALC worked for me

In Audio settings -> Output : I selected Internal Speaker (is that available for you)

The difference with your config is that I selected iMac 15,2 (my CPU is i5-9600K, iMac 15,2 is i5-9600 so it was the closest) but I don't know if it is relevant...

Best

I order to avoid changing my graphic board for an AMD, I use the internal intel iGPU (I have 2 bios profiles, GPU from PCIe if I want to use Windows or I select internal GPU if I want to use MacOS that I use only for coding)...

Thanks for the detailed answer. I am just wondering how to use two bios profiles you mentioned. Is that I just disable the onboard PCIE graphics card in the bios and then reboot?

Hi,

Yes just change the bios settings and reboot (for me, I need to have the HDMI cable already plugged on the MB when I restart, if not it will not be detected).

I don't know if your MB allow "profil" saving but it is just in order to be more user friendly.

Hope that helps and worked for you.

Thank you! I did a lot of reading and research based on your suggestions and it works like a charm. Double BIOS profiles and HD4600 integrated graphics for macOS, GTX 1080Ti for Windows. It's awesome. Everything works now on Catalina.

Asrock B85M Pro4, i7-4790K, 16GB DDR3 1333, Asus GTX 1080Ti (+ HD4600 integrated), 2 SSD + 3 HDD, dual boot with Windows managed by Clover, two BIOS profiles.

The only glitch is that the monitor is working on 60Hz instead of the native 120Hz at 3440x1440. But maybe I will find something for this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back