CPU
i3-3217U
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first ever post on this forum, and my first ever Hackintosh attempt... so please bear with me!

First, what have I got?

Used Hardware

Intel® NUC-Kit DC3217IYE
  • Mainboard-Chip Intel® QS77 Express-Notebookchip
  • Processor i3-3217U Ivy Lake, 1.80GHz
  • RAM 8Gb Kingston DDR3-1600 (2 x 4Gb SO-DIMMs)
  • SSD SanDisk Z400s SSD mSATA 128Gb
  • Video Dual HDMI
  • Graphics Intel HD4000
  • Audio HDMI
  • Lan Intel E1000
  • Wifi Broadcom BCM94352HMB
  • USB 2.0 3 Ports
  • Installed Bios 69 (GKPPT10H.0069)
Other Hardware
  • Generic USB keyboard and mouse
  • 16GB USB Stick (for UniBeast)
  • Dell U2715H Monitor, connected with HDMI
Used Software
  • macOS 10.15.4
  • UniBeast 10.1.0
  • MultiBeast 12.1.0
  • Clover 5107
  • EFI-Mounter 3.1
  • Clover Configurator 5.9.3.0
  • Hackintool 3.2.7

Second, what sources have I used?
This Sierra guide for the DC3217IYE by @Withoutaface, and the accompanying update to Mojave. And of course the "UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC" guide.

Third, what have I managed so far?
✅STEP 1: Download macOS Catalina
✅STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast

❓STEP 3: Recommended BIOS Settings
None of the settings listed to amend in the BIOS settings seem available on this NUC - so I moved on here. If there is something I ought to especially be paying attention to? IGD DVMT Memory is set to 128Mb, and Secure Boot Mode is off.

✅STEP 4: Install macOS Catalina
✅STEP 5: Post Installation with MultiBeast - Configuration as follows (taken from @Withoutaface's guide):
Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 10.46.36.png

Also because of the Broadcom BCM94352HMB Wifi card I used EFI Mounter to add the AirportBrcmFixup.kext - this shows the kexts and their locations:
Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 16.03.47.png

And then...

Reboot the machine, and the progress bar gets to 2/3 of the way across, and hangs there.

Reboot again, go into Clover Options > Graphics Injector > InjectIntel - FakeID and set this to anything, and the machine will boot. But with graphics acceleration disabled due to the FakeID:
combinedscreens.jpg

This is not a new problem, so I tried following the suggestions in this thread, setting ig-platform-id to 0x0166000a, rebooting, and getting this:

screenmess.jpg

The format I used for this in config.plist was:
Code:
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0166000a</string>
I then went through ALL the IDs for Intel HD4000 Graphics listed here, and some boot to the messed up screen, with some the progress bar hangs, and some the Mac boots - but with no graphics acceleration and 7Mb allocated as shown in the screenshot above.

However elsewhere it indicates formatting it like this:
Code:
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>01620005</string>

Or here even like this:
Code:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                CwASBA==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                EgQAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>

QUESTION: how do I need to format this part, and what ID should I use?

And then when it gets really messy...

In the previous threads I have cited, users with this problem have other NUCs (such as DC3217BY) that have other display output options. A DC3217IYE has only 2 HDMI ports, meaning I cannot follow "General Framebuffer Patching Guide using Hackintool". Connecting with HDMI is the only option I have.

However having installed Hackintool I get these screens:
Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 23.49.16.png

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 00.01.04.png

that might help work out what the IDs should be.

I also attach the config.plist file, but absent of any ig-platform-id etc. as discussed above.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope it is now possible to be able to provide pointers as to what to do!

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.9 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for sharing your experience. This already helps a lot for starting with catalina.

I'm linking your issue to a strange user experience in my guide and asking myself if it can really be a issue doing the installation on a monitor with higher resolution than full hd / 1920x1080!?
guide-intel-nuc-dc3217iye-macos-sierra-10-12-tv-box.240623/post-1741749

As per my understanding of his description he / jroen only get correct display output after doing the installation on a full hd monitor and using his 2560x1440 screen after setup. I only checked my nuc on my Asus 2560x1440 monitor after doing setup on full hd and got correct fullhd 60hz output on the asus screen (sadly the maximum).

As per my googling your Dell U2715H is also wqhd. Do you have any other monitor to validate this?

In case anyone is trying to update to Big Sur, here is my 100% working EFI folder from my NUC with the same wifi/bt card running macOS 11.1 booting with opencore. You'll need to copy your own System Serial, System UUID, and MLB into the Config.plist.

Attachments

• EFI - NUC.zip
    75.6 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
In case anyone is trying to update to Big Sur, here is my 100% working EFI folder from my NUC with the same wifi/bt card running macOS 11.1 booting with opencore. You'll need to copy your own System Serial, System UUID, and MLB into the Config.plist.
Hi h2a, thank you so much for your efforts. But I have a couple of questions about your EFI folder. Why do you fill the kext folder with unnecessary lan drivers? It is okay to x out the smbios details. But the system definition you seem to suggest is macmini5,1 whereas dortania recommend macmini7,1 only for nucs. What bios do you use on your machine?
TIA

hi,
how is the bigsur performance?
Does HDMI output sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back