Graphics
R9 290
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello Hackintosh friends!

I have a Gigabyte Z490 UD motherboard with a Core i7-10700F, 16 GB DDR and an ASUS Radeon R9 290. I bought the board on the recommendation of TonyMac's buying guide. I want to install a Hackintosh with Catalina. I have set the BIOS settings as indicated in the guide. I created the USB stick with Catalina with UniBeast according to the instructions. Nevertheless I only get as far as the apple icon, that's as far as it goes. Can someone help me?

Greetings from Berlin, Germany,
Wackelpudding

I have a Gigabyte Z490 UD motherboard with a Core i7-10700F, 16 GB DDR and an ASUS Radeon R9 290. I bought the board on the recommendation of TonyMac's buying guide. I want to install a Hackintosh with Catalina. I have set the BIOS settings as indicated in the guide. I created the USB stick with Catalina with UniBeast according to the instructions. Nevertheless I only get as far as the apple icon, that's as far as it goes. Can someone help me?

Wackelpudding

Catalina itself supports Z490 and the 10th generation Intel CPUs like yours, but the Unibeast USB stick does not work with your system as the version of the Clover included (5119) does not work with 10th generation CPUs.

You need to switch to OpenCore or Clover 5124 and later as bootloader.

Wackelpudding
You can try my guide here for Gigabyte Z490 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

Download the EFI for Catalina using Opencore 0.6.5. (i have several versions) and add your own serials into it. It should work for your board.

You can try my guide here for Gigabyte Z490 (...)
Hi, after reading through your post - thanks again and my respect for the excellent work you have done - I think I can install my system with Big Sur. However, your latest update only mentions Big Sur 11.4 - can I also use Big Sur 11.5 or higher? Directly in the AppStore, I am only offered the new Big Sur 11.6.1! Thank you for your answer!

Update - unfortunately with bad news! I have tried the installation with Big Sur 11.4, but it is not possible to boot from the stick. I don't know what the problem is - can someone please help me? Attached is the config.plist I used, please have a look ...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-29 um 19.12.49.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-29 um 19.12.49.png
    728.8 KB · Views: 51
Update - unfortunately with bad news! I have tried the installation with Big Sur 11.4, but it is not possible to boot from the stick. I don't know what the problem is - can someone please help me? Attached is the config.plist I used, please have a look ...
You're using a AMD card to boot aren't you? In that case you must place the relevant boot-arg in the NVRAM (add them to the line, in addition to what is there):
shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94
and save your config.plist and retry the install.
If that doesn't work, try radpg=15

Btw these boot-arg settings are derived from the guide here > https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/misc/bootflag.html#amd-boot-arguments

Btw these boot-arg settings are derived from the guide here >
Yes, that's how you feel your way forward bit by bit - how is a normal user supposed to know all these things? Everything has become so terribly complicated. A few years ago I installed several Hackintosh's with Unibeast (El Capitan + Yosemite), that was wonderfully simple and required no special knowledge! But today? Cruel!

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try and then report back!

I can't even remember how many times I've installed the bootstick with different Big Sur versions and some EFI's. I'm slowly going crazy ...

Yes, that's how you feel your way forward bit by bit - how is a normal user supposed to know all these things? Everything has become so terribly complicated. A few years ago I installed several Hackintosh's with Unibeast (El Capitan + Yosemite), that was wonderfully simple and required no special knowledge! But today? Cruel!

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try and then report back!
Well you could say that but the new Opencore bootloader does expect the user to read the guide and understand their hardware from a certain level. There is also help with the online sanity checker but that only goes so far. Hackintoshing has always required some technical skills to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back