Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina on EX58 UD3R- installed no internet cards seen by OS (could use help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
So this worked up until 10.15.4 upgrade I think. I've got Catalina installed on this old legacy system. I can boot with Sys def of either MacPro 5,1 or imac 14,2 but neither of these allow me to connect to the internet. The machine is hard wired to ethernet and both system deffinitions used to have an active network card in system report. Now the system report in Catalina says that the computer has no card. It actually has two ethernet cards, the built in and the added PCI one I've always used Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA. This seems kext related but I have tried with no success to find the right combination of kexts and settings to get ethernet back. It works fine booting into Mojave just not Catalina. And again it used to work in Catalina. I would really appreciate some help solving this.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 14.31.04.png

RealtekRTL8111.kext

There are many posts here about getting 88E8053 based Ethernet cards to work : Search

There are many posts here about getting 88E8053 based Ethernet cards to work : Search
@P1LGRIM thank you so much for taking time to respond. I have searched so many times and I guess it's a lack of proper search term that failed me. In any event I read through everything linked in 'your search' and found the solution. In fact I'm typing right now from the Catalina booted system with both wifi & ethernet detected and functioning properly. Again I really appreciate the push in the right direction.

So frustrating!!! This Ethernet card is no longer seen when booted into Catalina. I have tried the linked “solutions” numerous times since my initial success and have had no success any longer. Maybe I’m doing something stupid or just not quite getting it. I would really appreciate a more step by step set of instructions if someone has a solution. I know something will work because I had it working a month or so ago. I’m still mostly using Mojave but need the ability to start using Catalina soon. I appreciate any help offered!

I finally got the stock MB Network card functioning with the RealtekRTL8111.kext file but that is certainly not as good as the Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA PCI-E network card. I'm unclear about the exact method used to insert the older AppleYukon2 .kext file from Mojave into catalina. In mojave it works in:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

I've tried a myriad of techniques for placing the AppleYukon2.kext file into Catalina's IONetworkingFamily.kext plugin folder but alas no Ethernet card recognized. I know someone here must have more experience with this. I just need some more guidance please. I will be very appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back