Contribute
Register

Catalina on Dell XPS 9500 (year 2020 model) (OpenCore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 9500
CPU
i7-10750H
Graphics
UHD 630
I've created a repository on GitHub to share my progress with getting Catalina to run on Dell XPS 9500.
It is almost fully working for me but there may be several other things I haven't tested, including HDMI video/audio output.

Any help on fixing the outstanding issues appreciated - headphones jack and sleep mainly. Sleep is due a Dell BIOS bug, but maybe someone can come up with some ideas to fix it with alternate methods. Dell isn't the most competent when it comes to fixing BIOS bugs.

You can track my progress here: GitHub Repository - Catalina on Dell XPS 9500 with OpenCore

Good job man, keep going
I think you should add more info about your specs (for example type the wifi model not just wifi, ethernet, trackpad etc)

and I found this kext (Sinetek-rtsx) that has been updated by cholonam to get SD card to work (not a big thing but I think it worth mentioning)

Great job on making this possible and almost entirely working. I'm following this project since the beginning.
I may have found some information for you to look at. It's about sleep/wake.

This guy has sleep/wake working on the xps 13 9300 so maybe you can look into this and fix the problem on your xps 15 9500. The latest BIOS version as of now for the xps 13 9300 is 1.2.0 and for the xps 15 9500 1.4.0

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for that reference repository. I've managed to improve my EFI based on that and got Audio to work 100% now. However, the sleep issue for the XPS15 is unfortunately a Dell BIOS bug. The same behavior could be seen with any Linux kernels and Windows 10 itself if you enable S3.

With the XPS13 9300, disabling "sign of life" in the BIOS fixes the S3 sleep wake issue but the same workaround doesn't work on XPS15 9500.

What hard drive would you suggest for installing in the second slot to use for osx installation. I know there are problems with some of them when you install osx you get a kernel panic. Is there a specific one I can get so I don't have to worry about that?

The manufacturers usually say whether the drive supports MacOS. If not, you can always look for reviews on Amazon to see if anyone's bought it to use on their Mac. Personally I've got a Seagate Barracuda 510 m.2 drive.

I'm pretty sure the 7590 needs a different USB mapping. You should really be using an EFI tailored for your laptop instead.

I saw in your signature that you have the i7-10750H. I have the 16gb ram and 512gb SSD version but my Processor is the i7-10875H model. What would I need to change in the SST.aml files and Config.plist for only the processor part to be right? Since all the other aml files should be correct if I'm understanding it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back