Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina on Biostar TH55HD Socket 1156 with Sapphire Pulse RX580 - CLOVER & OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to upgrade my HackPro5,1 from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5, but the MacPro6,1 trick (simple change of SMBIOS MacModel from MacPro5,1 to MacPro6,1) does not work for 10.15.5. Must also change the Board-ID for a more "valid" fake. I used Clover Configurator to pick the MacPro6,1 MacModel (Clover Configurator auto-assigns a valid Board-ID) for my Catalina 10.15.5 installer USB and the 10.15.5 installer recognized my system as a valid destination for 10.15.5.

I upgraded from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 by doing the following:
  1. Backup your Catalina 10.15.4 volume
  2. Upgrade Clover on your SSD (your 10.15.4 Catalina disk) to r5118 or later
  3. Upgrade Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to the latest versions
  4. Create "vanilla" Catalina 10.15.5 installer USB
  5. Install Clover (Legacy) r5118 (or later) on the USB thumb drive and configure the thumb drive's EFI as per Post #1 in this thread with two exceptions: place all 3rd-party kexts in E/C/k/O in the thumb drive's EFI, change the SMBIOS MacModel to MacPro6,1 (use Clover Configurator to make the SMBIOS change or manually change the Board-ID to 'Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6' - a valid MacPro6,1 Board-ID) (Catalina won't install on MacPro5,1 and unlike 10.15.4 and earlier, 10.15.5 installer checks for a valid Board-ID in addition to the MacModel)
  6. Boot from the USB installer and select the Catalina installer on the USB
  7. When the first phase of the 10.15.5 install finishes, ignore the error "An error occurred while preparing the installation" and reboot from the USB
  8. At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina installer on your Catalina Data volume (not on the USB)
  9. When the second phase of the 10.15.5 install finishes, ignore the error "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" and shut down.
  10. Remove the USB thumb drive and boot
  11. At the Clover boot screen, select the upgraded Catalina volume (not the Catalina Installer which is left because of the error in Step 9)
  12. Follow the prompts to configure Catalina 10.15.5
  13. Remove /System/Volumes/Data/'macOS Install Data' which is left because of the error in Step #9
  14. Welcome to Catalina 10.15.5! Catalina 10.15.5 will run fine on your MacPro5,1 with the -no_compat_check boot arg.
Potential Issues and their solutions
  • Catalina 10.15.5 installer does not recognize a suitable volume to upgrade (all volumes are grayed-out): you forgot to temporarily modify the SMBIOS MacModel (changing to MacPro6,1) and Board-ID (changing to a Board-ID for MacPro6,1)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 3.14.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 3.14.26 PM.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
USBMap tool reports that Catalina 10.15.5 still includes the USB power properties for MacPro5,1. I did not need to create a SSDT-USBX.aml for this hack.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 3.48.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 3.48.17 PM.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 69
EDIT: I upgraded from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 by following the procedure here...

Excellent work! To update to 10.15.5 I have had to do as you do, put a valid serial number and a suitable Catalina model of Mac. Congratulations.

@roto31 This thread may help you. Key seems to be to uncheck "Inject NVidia" in Clover Configurator.
Apologies for the late reply. I was "borrowed" by Uncle Sam for what has been going on. I am back now and will be assembling the machine with the board I have purchased. It's been a bit since I have worked on it and did a bit of a brain dump - so to speak.
I will definitely take a look and try that with my geForce 710. That may even be what is stopping the install on the current set-up. I have also contemplated putting all new guts in my Sawtooth case as well.

I have attached an updated TH55HD.zip archive to Post #1 in this thread. This updated archive has the following changes:
  • Lilu.kext updated from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5
  • AppleALC.kext updated from 1.4.9 to 1.5.0
  • WhateverGreen.kext updated from 1.3.9 to 1.4.0
  • Added EFICheckDisabler.kext 0.5

I applied Catalina Supplemental Update 10.15.5.02 to this HackPro5,1. The update installed without any issues by following the 10.15.5 installation procedure here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 5.49.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 5.49.09 PM.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 72
I'm stuck.....
I've installed the new board, configured the drive to install per the directions specified in your guide and I have made sure inject nVidia was not checked.
I get a kernel panic whenever I try to boot the USB drive using this configuration. I have even went as far as removing the DSDT edits to see if that may have been the issue. Still gives a kernel panic.

Thoughts?

I'm stuck.....
I've installed the new board, configured the drive to install per the directions specified in your guide and I have made sure inject nVidia was not checked.
I get a kernel panic whenever I try to boot the USB drive using this configuration. I have even went as far as removing the DSDT edits to see if that may have been the issue. Still gives a kernel panic.

Thoughts?

Without seeing verbose listing of your boot, I'm guessing. It's very possible that the USB configuration of your motherboard is different from mine. Try removing SSDT-UIAC.aml from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and try booting again.

Also, make sure your boot-args include -v and debug=0x100. If my suggestion about SSDT-UIAC.aml doesn't "fix" the problem, post a picture of your verbose boot screen (with the boot-args I indicated) and a full copy of your EFI.

Without seeing verbose listing of your boot, I'm guessing. It's very possible that the USB configuration of your motherboard is different from mine. Try removing SSDT-UIAC.aml from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and try booting again.

Also, make sure your boot-args include -v and debug=0x100. If my suggestion about SSDT-UIAC.aml doesn't "fix" the problem, post a picture of your verbose boot screen (with the boot-args I indicated) and a full copy of your EFI.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will try those options next.

I have tried those options. It now stops at the attached screenshot. EFI is attached. Only edits I believe that have been made are changing it to a 6,1 MacPro and removing the AMD options for the video card. I could test with the Rx 580 from my MacPro 5,1 but that is not something I want to try.

The first screen SS is where it hangs, then proceeds to where it hangs (Hangs after flags w/o DSDT suggestion SS). Using config2.plist (no ATI GPU edits) gives the KP SS.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    486.1 KB · Views: 91
  • First screen.jpeg
    First screen.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • Hang after flags w:o DSDT suggestion.jpeg
    Hang after flags w:o DSDT suggestion.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • KP SS.jpeg
    KP SS.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71