Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina on Biostar TH55HD Socket 1156 with Sapphire Pulse RX580 - CLOVER & OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happened to stumble across this guide!
I've had my 1156 socket build sitting for some time and I haven't touched it in over 3 years. With all the spare time on my hands I've been basically updating all of my Hackintoshes in the house.
Mine is an 1156 socket i5 650 @3.2 GHz on an MSI H55M-E33 board. It was my 2nd ever built in 2010 and first that was a full custom build from a Sawtooth case, Sawtooth Build .
I will try mine based upon your guide and update with success, questions or frustration (I did a Dell Optiplex that I worked on for over 15 hours till I realized I was not using the full UEFI method and used the wrong processor guide).
Wish me luck !

@seehong I've helped as much as I can without your problem reporting files. Sorry I can't be of further assistance.
Thanks alot anyway. At least I've learnt quite alot from you to get Catalina up and running albeit for a while. Appreciate your help and effort and time.

When you were having the issue with USB on your install was it kernel panicking giving the "HID: Legacy Shim 2 then Still waiting for root device" and then the "no entry" sign? This is happening after at the first restart after it copies the installation files to the drive. I did see that in your Mojave build you turned off Legacy support - was that the fix? I have also saw where people just put their USB installer into different USB ports till it continued.
I am installing with an MSI H55-E33 board and an Intel i5 650 and using a Metal supported nVidia GeForce 710 GPU. So I removed the GPU edits on your config file and left the system definition as a MacPro 6,1. Or should it be an iMac 14,2? As for config files/support files I am using your kexts and config file minus the GPU information. I did add the HFS+ and the apfs.efi to their appropriate places.

Thoughts?

When you were having the issue with USB on your install was it kernel panicking giving the "HID: Legacy Shim 2 then Still waiting for root device" and then the "no entry" sign? This is happening after at the first restart after it copies the installation files to the drive. I did see that in your Mojave build you turned off Legacy support - was that the fix? I have also saw where people just put their USB installer into different USB ports till it continued.
I am installing with an MSI H55-E33 board and an Intel i5 650 and using a Metal supported nVidia GeForce 710 GPU. So I removed the GPU edits on your config file and left the system definition as a MacPro 6,1. Or should it be an iMac 14,2? As for config files/support files I am using your kexts and config file minus the GPU information. I did add the HFS+ and the apfs.efi to their appropriate places.

Thoughts?

My build works with Mojave and Catalina because I paid a lot of attention to making sure my DSDT patches were applied correctly and my SSDT-UIAC (with USBInjectAll.kext) was edited correctly. Have you extracted your DSDT, fixed DSDT errors and applied DSDT patches (manually as I have done or via Clover)? My SSDT-UIAC.aml is not likely to work with your motherboard.

Just a quick update... this old HackPro5,1 is running Catalina 10.15.4 PERFECTLY. With the exception of Sleep (as noted in Post #1), EVERYTHING is working flawlessly and FAST. I use this workstation primarly for XCode and Visual Studio / Xamarin development, while also using iMovie and MS Office 16.36. No issues.

When you were having the issue with USB on your install was it kernel panicking giving the "HID: Legacy Shim 2 then Still waiting for root device" and then the "no entry" sign?

I just Googled this and found multiple posts claiming to have solved this. Google is your friend.

This I believe I resolved. It requires the correct patch. I have made it through the full install and at it will not startup into the first boot into Catalina. It hangs on “new Kext com.apple.driver.Kext matches prelinked kext but can’t determine if executables are same (no UUIDs)” and the last line is “deferred matching count 1”

I was also able to build a custom .aml file to to spoof EC with SSDT-TimeMaster.

It’s what I have found so far from applying things to what I already know works and does not work. This isn’t my first rodeo with a Hackintosh. Catalina has some quirks that make it interesting to install on older hardware.

Last edited:
This isn’t my first rodeo with a Hackintosh.

Catalina has some quirks that make it interesting to install on older hardware.

My apologies if my reply was remedial - I wasn't sure of your knowledge / experience. Glad to hear you have working USB.

I haven't found the need to make any system changes from Mojave to Catalina beyond what I have documented in this thread, but I'm sure that this experience will be different for different systems.

Good luck!

I'm not admitting defeat with my current board (might put it to use with an earlier macOS in a different case) but I found the same board on eBay you have and will try the install with your attached EFI folder and DSDT edits. I originally went with your guide as the chipset was the same and you ha used a similar processor for the Mojave build. Why is the current processor that you are using in your build? I'm sure I can remove your GPU edits so I can use my GeForce 710.

Thoughts?

The board pictured is the one I purchased, is this the board you have?

Thank you for the input and assist. It is much appreciated.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 57
The board pictured is the one I purchased, is this the board you have?

My board is TH55HD (no "B") with an overclocked Xeon X3460. My board is an amazing overclocker, since it has an 8-pin CPU power connector with more power "phases." I suspect that your board won't have the same overclock capability with the 4-pin CPU power connector, but if overclock doesn't matter, you will be fine. I don't know the other differences between TH55BHD and TH55HD, but you should be able to find easily.

I don't know if the DSDT for the TH55BHD matches that of the TH55HD and am not sure what you risk by using my config files on your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back