Contribute
Register

Catalina on Asus Zenbook Pro UX580GE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @surfintheinterweb
Thank you for the files.
I've checked you DSDT and ioreg and it seems to be exactly the same, so I need to ask you a few questions:
- What version of VoodooI2C is the one you use (I'm using the latest - 2.4.3)?
- Why did you combine AsusNBFnKeys and AsusSMC ? (both do the same thing, first one is an old kext the second one is more modern - I'm using the AsusSMC with Fn keys patches/renames)
- Why do you combine AppleALC with VoodooHDA ? (both are audio kexts - I'm using AsusALC - not working properly)
- I see that you do not have any patches for you DSDT - how did you apply patches ?

Hey @surfintheinterweb
Thank you for the files.
I've checked you DSDT and ioreg and it seems to be exactly the same, so I need to ask you a few questions:
- What version of VoodooI2C is the one you use (I'm using the latest - 2.4.3)?
- Why did you combine AsusNBFnKeys and AsusSMC ? (both do the same thing, first one is an old kext the second one is more modern - I'm using the AsusSMC with Fn keys patches/renames)
- Why do you combine AppleALC with VoodooHDA ? (both are audio kexts - I'm using AsusALC - not working properly)
- I see that you do not have any patches for you DSDT - how did you apply patches ?
I just fumble around until it works lol. So I tend to get some double up kexts and pointless kexts. My sound is working fine btw.
I spend weeks trying to use this guide https://voodooi2c.github.io/#Installation/Installation and gave up in the end. It didn't help. So I dumped the dsdt and all the others btw because everything works except trackpad without them.

Hey @Elias64Fr sorry to bother you (and drag you to this thread) but while digging on how to make my ASUS UX580GE thunderbolt work I've stumbled on a few posts made by you and I see that you have(had) a similar laptop (ASUS UX580GD) so I'm wandering if you can help me with my task.

As I'm an automation engineer I have the skills and tools required for dissemble (desolder/resolder if required), and extract/program the thunderbolt firmware (with SPI programmer or with Raspberry Pi) from the board but I'm lacking the knowledge on what to changes should I make in it or to the boot process. I can do a deep search and acquire all the knowledge required but I hope with your help to reduce the time spent on this task :).

Also I'd be grateful if you can share your EFI folder with a clean (unpatched) DSDT and a IOReg dump.

Best regards and thank you for all the good work done for the community

Hey @S1lla sorry to bother you but as I've written in the previous post I'm reading all the threads that I can find about making the thunderbolt work (a slightly modified version of UX550GE) and while reading the "[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580" I've found your post with original UX550 thunderbolt firmware (post #16,271).

So I have a few questions and I hope you can help me:
- is the thunderbolt firmware stored on the chip that is close to the wifi card (see the attached images)?
- what tool did you use to read/write the firmware and did you desolder it from board or did the operations onboard ?
- can you share your EFI folder with a clean (unpatched) DSDT and a IOReg dump of the UX550 so I can compare the UX550 to UX580 ?

Thank you for your activity in this great community

Attachments

• P_20200802_092248.jpg
    P_20200802_092248.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • P_20200807_182042.jpg
    P_20200807_182042.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
Hey @S1lla sorry to bother you but as I've written in the previous post I'm reading all the threads that I can find about making the thunderbolt work (a slightly modified version of UX550GE) and while reading the "[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580" I've found your post with original UX550 thunderbolt firmware (post #16,271).

So I have a few questions and I hope you can help me:
- is the thunderbolt firmware stored on the chip that is close to the wifi card (see the attached images)?
- what tool did you use to read/write the firmware and did you desolder it from board or did the operations onboard ?
- can you share your EFI folder with a clean (unpatched) DSDT and a IOReg dump of the UX550 so I can compare the UX550 to UX580 ?

Thank you for your activity in this great community
Hi,
I'm glad to see someone is working on Zenbook pro. I have UX550GE.
Sorry I thought it's only debug file.

Last edited:
After some time away from my hackintosh projects I've manage to flash a modified Thunderbolt firmware and now I have working TB3 ports with USB 3 hotplug.

I've achieved this thanks to @CaseySJ informations posted in "[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580" thread.

I've used his guide for using a Raspberry Pi to read/write the TB3 firmware and flashed the moded UX550 firmware (compared the UX580GE untouched firmware with the one that the mod was based on posted by @S1lla and they were identical) he kindly shared in this post.

Once again thanks @CaseySJ for his contribution

Last edited:
Hello all,

This is not an installation guide it is merely a log of what I've done so far. Once I have a working build I will do a guide with full how to.

View attachment 452078

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX580GE-E2014R Factory Specs:

Processor : Intel i7-8750H (6C / 12T, 2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo, 9MB Cache)
Memory : 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Soldered
Graphics : Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Nvidia 1050Ti
Display : 15.6” LED-backlit 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) 16:9 touchscreen, color calibration: Delta E < 2, 100% Adobe RGB color gamut
Hard Drive : SAMSUNG PM981 1TB PCIe NVMe (replaced with SAMSUNG EVO Plust 2TB NVMe)
Wireless Network : Intel WiFi (Will replace with DW1830)
Trackpad : ScreenPad 2.0
Audio : ALC295
Camera : VGA webcam
Battery : 71Wh 8-cell lithium-polymer battery
BIOs : 302
Ethernet : ASUS Gigabit Dongle (Realtek RTL8153)
Connectors : 2 x Type-C™ USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Thunderbolt™ 3) + 2 x Type-A USB 3.1 Gen 2 + 1 x HDMI + 1 x Combo audio jack + 1 x MicroSD card slot

Status of what is working and what not
Intel i7-8750H Power Management Working
Intel UHD 630 Working
Nvidia 1050Ti No drivers available for Catalina - Disabled
4K Screen Working with HiDPI
HDMI It is connected to Nvidia 1050Ti so will not work
ScreenPad It is connected to Nvidia 1050Ti so will not work
Battery Working
Audio ALC295 Working
WiFi Will be replaced
Ethernet Dongle Working - Requires Realtek RTL8153 drivers
Type-A USB3.1 Working (Hotplug and extra current)
Type-C USB3.1/Thunderbolt 3 Works only if devices are connected at boot - work still needs to be done
MicroSD Reader Working
Camera Working OOB
Ambient Light Sensor Work in progress
Keyboard Backlight Working
Trackpad Work in progress
Function Keys Working
Touch Screen Working with VoodooI2C
Fingerprint Reader Will never work with OsX

I've created a USB with Catalina using Unibeast 10.0.0 .

First attempts to install Catalina were unsuccessful as I got stuck with NVME errors as PM981 is unsupported wit OsX so I replaced it with a Samsung Evo Plus 2TB NVME. Next attempts to install Catalina got stuck to "[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5, devices 20 ]".

At this point I went and created a USB with Mojave just to see if it gets also stuck at the same point but it got to installer screen without any issues so I got back to investigating why Catalina gets stuck. After reading many forum posts and looking at DSDT code I've found that if I enable PluginType, injecting UHD 630 properties (with enable-hdmi20 present as without I got black screens of KPs) with Devices -> Properties to get Whathevergreen do its stuff and added SSDT-EC with fake EC I get to installer.

I've installed Catalina, Windows 10 with Clover as bootloader.

NOTE - All the patching to DSDT and SSDT is done with hotpatching.

At this point I had a Catalina that booted with full CPU power management and with a working UHD 630 HiDPI 4K screen without Sleep or backlit control.

With SSDT-PNLF that is shipped with Whatevergreen I got black screen at boot but if I waited for the system to get to the point where the screen gets dimmed in preparation to sleep the image appeared on the screen. Digging into this issue I've fount that the SSDT did not inject properly the CLF value for Coffe Lake UHD 630 so I replaced the SSDT with another one, an older and simplified one, and the issue disappeared.

Next step I took was to get the Sleep working and to do so I mapped all the USB ports and got the following map:
Phisical Port Type USB 2 Port USB 3 Port
Left side upper port Type-C USB3.1/Thunderbolt 3 HS13 SS03
Left side bottom port Type-C USB3.1/Thunderbolt 3 HS08 SS04
Right side upper port Type-A USB3.1 HS01 SS01
Right side bottom port Type-A USB3.1 HS02 SS02
Camera Internal HS09
Touch Screen Internal HS12
Bluetooth Internal HS14

View attachment 452075View attachment 452076
Whit this information and following @RehabMan's guide on how to create a proper USB inject using SSDT I've created the SSDT-UIAC and SSDT-USBX and with them in place I've got the laptop to go to sleep (from menu, from lid close and from system sleep as is specified in Energy Saver)

Next I've went and solved (sort of) the audio by injecting layout-id - 3 with Device -> Properties and injecting CodecCommander properties using SSDT-ALC295. The following issues I have to fix at a later time :
- audio is distorted when connecting headphones but is clear on internal speakers - the hot plug of headphone is working so no need for alcplugfix
- the external microphone is not detected when plugged - always the internal microphone is active

Next I've injected RMNE device and added NullEthernet.kext as I'm still waiting for the replacement WiFi to arrive. For the Ethernet dongle I had to install Realtek RTL8153 driver (available on Realtek website) as Catalina has no kext for it (in Mojave is detected without any issue).

For the trackpad I've installed VoodooI2C.kext and it gets loaded but I have to figure out the GPIO pinning to make it work. The VoodooHID was loading but at this point in time is no longer gets loaded so I have to figure out what I did but for not it is not a priority as I want to get the battery working.

For the function keys I've installed AsusSMC and got the audio keys to work (Fn+F1 - mute, Fn+F2 - Vol down and Fn+F3 - Vol up) I will investigate this further.

Any hints or ideas on the things that are still not working or are partial working are welcome.

Attached is a debug dump of what I got at this point. There are 2 config files the config.plist is the "production" with the things that are working and the config-dev.plist is the "development" one that has possible issues.

06.03.2020 Update as per #13
04.03.2020 Update as per #12
03.03.2020 Update as per #11
02.03.2020 Update as per #7
01.03.2020 Update as per #6
what about trackpad, how can i get to work it???

what about trackpad, how can i get to work it???
look at the link that is in the post above yours. I followed that recommendation and now I have trackpad working (sometimes is not well initialized at power on but it works after reboot) and the touchscreen works only with the ASSUS Pen.

look at the link that is in the post above yours. I followed that recommendation and now I have trackpad working (sometimes is not well initialized at power on but it works after reboot) and the touchscreen works only with the ASSUS Pen.
Did you achieved to enable multitouch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back