Contribute
Register

Catalina on Asus Zenbook Pro UX580GE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting fact.
While doing some test with Debug version of VoodooI2C.kext I copied VirtualSMC and its helper Kexts + Lilu.kext to /Library/Extensions and for my surprise the battery appeared on the task bar.
From what I know it should have worked with SMCBatteryManager from /Clover/kext/Other but it seems it is not so.

Last edited:
Update:
I've installed @RehabMan's RMDT ACPI device (SSDT hotpatch) and kext (installed in /Library/Extensions) to be able to do debug on ACPI calls and using the renames for FN keys (_Q0A, _Q0B ....) I've found that this model has a different FN key to ACPI call mappings than the ones found in AssusSMC patches repository.
So with this in mind I've done ACPI renames, created an SSDT for the replacement methods and now I have the following working FN keys:
FN+F1 - Volume Mute
FN+F2 - Volume Down
FN+F3 - Volume Up
FN+F4 - Screen Brightness Down
FN+F5 - Screen Brightness Up
FN+F6 - Trackpad On/Off (AsusSMC debug shows as it works but the trakpad is not working ... yet)
FN+F7 - Keyboard backight On/Off (I need to add the ACPI code for it as I do not have a working keyboard backlight ... yet)
FN+F8 - Video Output Switch (it works as ACPI call but as the HDMI is connected to Nvidia 1050ti it has no effect)

Attachments

• debug_24693.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Update:
After reading a lot about keyboard backlight I've added the code to FN-F7 (_Q0D) ACPI method (this laptop has only one function key for keyboard backlight so, somehow, I had to make it work) to cycle the keyboard backlight so I can say that this part is done.
Still to be done is the dimming of the keyboard backlight after X seconds of inactivity and for that I need to find the ACPI call that is needed by OsX to show the option for it in keyboad preference pane and used to make it work.

Also I've added a basic code to ambient light sensor to emulate the OsX calls so the backlight level is restored at OsX boot (at least after the handover is done between booting process and graphical interface). I do not know if it is possible to set the screen backlight with the NVRAM value from clover boot so the boot apple will not get dimmer when the boot process ends and the switch graphical is done.

Attachments

• debug_17216.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 185
Update:
After reading a lot about keyboard backlight I've added the code to FN-F7 (_Q0D) ACPI method (this laptop has only one function key for keyboard backlight so, somehow, I had to make it work) to cycle the keyboard backlight so I can say that this part is done.
Still to be done is the dimming of the keyboard backlight after X seconds of inactivity and for that I need to find the ACPI call that is needed by OsX to show the option for it in keyboad preference pane and used to make it work.

Also I've added a basic code to ambient light sensor to emulate the OsX calls so the backlight level is restored at OsX boot (at least after the handover is done between booting process and graphical interface). I do not know if it is possible to set the screen backlight with the NVRAM value from clover boot so the boot apple will not get dimmer when the boot process ends and the switch graphical is done.
may need:

from here:

Thanks for your suggestion but that adds a fake ALS to add screen restore saved backlight status to a laptop that dose not have ALS.
This laptop has ALSD device and I only needed to replace _STA method to activate it.
I only need to check if there is a real ALS inside the machine or it is just an emulated one present in DSDT but for now I'm OK with this as it is.
With all ALS patching methods (fake or internal) tested I get the previous saved value of backlight applied as soon as the graphical interface is loaded so I have the boot process (with apple logo and load bar or verbose mode) at full brightness and then changed to previous saved brightness level once the graphical interface is started. That is one thing I'm curious if can be solved so the laptop starts with saved brightness level from clover till login screen so it will not have a "flicker" when it switches to graphical.

I'm researching now on how to make the keyboard backlight to automatically go off after X seconds of inactivity and get back on as soon there is activity - as is on real macs and as I also have on my older laptop (UX330UA).

I'm researching now on how to make the keyboard backlight to automatically go off after X seconds of inactivity and get back on as soon there is activity - as is on real macs and as I also have on my older laptop (UX330UA).

Hi, I've got the 580 but with the i9. I can't get the keyboard backlight to work at all! Plus the trackpad. Can you attach your EFI?? Pretty please :)

Hey @surfintheinterweb
The last EFi I have is the one in the #13 post. Look at the _Q0D Method on how I've done the keyboard backlight.
For the trackpad I do not have a solution yet as the trackpad in UX580GE is not a standard one so the patch to make it work is not working. I get the kexts to load but there are no events registered from it when I try to use it.

Hey @surfintheinterweb
The last EFi I have is the one in the #13 post. Look at the _Q0D Method on how I've done the keyboard backlight.
For the trackpad I do not have a solution yet as the trackpad in UX580GE is not a standard one so the patch to make it work is not working. I get the kexts to load but there are no events registered from it when I try to use it.

Thanks. My trackpad works for a few seconds and then stops. Have you tried opencore? It was easy on my desktop but the Laptop was resistant. I never tried too hard though.

Thanks. My trackpad works for a few seconds and then stops. Have you tried opencore? It was easy on my desktop but the Laptop was resistant. I never tried too hard though.
For now I did not have time to try opencore.
Can you share your EFI folder with the untouched dump of DSDT/SSDTs and a save from IORegistryExplorer? I want to see what is the difference between our machines so I can figure out why my trackpad is not registering any events and maybe in process I can figure out why yours stops.

For now I did not have time to try opencore.
Can you share your EFI folder with the untouched dump of DSDT/SSDTs and a save from IORegistryExplorer? I want to see what is the difference between our machines so I can figure out why my trackpad is not registering any events and maybe in process I can figure out why yours stops.
Here you go :)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    208.9 KB · Views: 136
  • pete’s Mac Pro.ioreg
    39.4 MB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back