12. Plus
  13. Power Mac
  14. PowerBook
  15. Quadra
  16. SE
  17. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So here's a strange one. I have successfully upgraded to Catalina with the exception of two odd behaviors. I can't upgrade to 10.15.2. It starts the upgrade process but when it reboots to continue upgrading it just boots back into 10.15.1. Clover won't boot to -data. I've tried both via System Update and the downloaded full updater. Here's the 2nd odd behaviour. I never put the computer to sleep, but I put my monitors to sleep every night. Each morning when I start to work, files sitting on my Desktop will not open. TextEdit and Pages will not autosave. It's as if I don't have privileges to them, but when I check, the privileges are correct. If I reboot, everything is fine until the next morning. Anyone got any answers? Help always gratefully received!

I can help you with the first issue, because I've been experiencing the very same behaviour since the 10.15.1 update. The workaround works (sorry for the unintended pun) as follows.
First, let Mac OS start the upgrade process as usual. Then, after the second reboot (that is, the one following the first half of the actual upgrade), don't let Clover boot into your partition but instead manually select "MacOS Prebooter" (if I recall the name correctly). If necessary, edit your config.plist, because you may be booting with the Fast Boot flag on (like I usually do). You'll notice that the upgrade will resume from where it had left: now wait patiently because it's going to take much more time, as if the first reboot were mere preparations. Once it's done, Mac'll boot automatically into your default partition, this time as Mac OS 10.15.2.
I still have no idea whether it's Clover's fault or just a yet-to-be-addressed issue brought by Catalina, but I'm not aware of any automatic ways to upgrade, for now.

I have no clues about the absurd problems you experience after waking your monitor. I'll state the obvious, but you probably either have a badly misconfigured config.plist or never properly worked on your USB ports patch. There are rare instances where hackintoshes freeze out of the blue after a few hours, or, even worse, randomly. But I'm talking about topics I read back when Lion was introduced... ages ago. And, stating the obvious again, you should at the very least put your system to sleep, or even better shut it down: there's virtually no advantage in letting a computer stay awake for days or weeks on end, given how fast we can boot and resume our work today.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't get to the 2nd reboot. When I launch the update it does something for less than a minute then reboots. At that time Clover reboots to my original install, ending the update process. I can see the preboot choice, but if I choose it the computer "thinks" for a second or two, then reboots back to the original install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back