CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I finally got my 'new' gpu. Switched form an OOOLD Nvidia card to the recommended RX 580. It took me a day to get rid of the black screen.

Fixed Black screen after logo at boot by:
Checking BIOS settings (disabling onboard graphics altogether).
Spoofing the gpu in CConfigurator - in the Display and Devices Sections.
Including correcting video port count from 6 to the accurate 5, AND specifying Orinoco FB.

I can now boot into macOS just fine, BUT, I have NO acceleration.

I am using HDMI, because I don't have access to a DP cable right now (but one is on the way). I also have a DVI cable (same issues).

My system definition is 14,2, for now.

I'm able to boot WITHOUT Lilu or WEG.

I'm stuck! Any help from those smarter than I would be ineffably appreciated.

Any ideas?

---

p.s. Signature didn't update:
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Intel i7 4790k, Corsair H100i, AMD RX 580 8gb Sapphire Pulse OC, 32 Gigs DDR3.

Last edited:
My MSI RX580 8G is plugged and play. I did use Lilu and WEG. Evedrything works fine.

My card is still not detected in About this Mac. This may be a starting point, but I don’t know what to do?
I would suggest try Lilu and WEG in your kext fist and see if it detects.

Thanks, that’s actually the first thing I did. But, I’ll change it up and try again.
So, if I understand you correctly, you think I should NOT attempt to define ANYTHING. I should just put Lilu and WET in .../Other, and hopefully they will auto-detect everything, as long as I also use inject ATI and The Deinit options. Is that right? I’ll try it.

Just tried Lilu and WEG exclusive of my tweaks to inject the gpu id info. it did not work, sadly.

The only way I can get to the login screen without black screen (using HDMI) is to input FakeID: 0x0100267DF

Anything else fails. However, doing this ID's the card in About this Mac as "Display 7." I don't understand why this isn't working??! The card is confirmed good in a windows dual boot environment. I feel so stupid! I can't find any answers.

I’m going to backup and clean install.
[/Q
After a clean installation, I STILL cannot get this card to work properly, even via Display Port.

please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

No sure what the problem is.
My hack in running on OpenCore 0.5.8. And I have just Lilu and WEG, but nothing else needed for the RX580. Just updated to 10.15.5. Smooth update and zero hiccups.
Here is the detail installation guide: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back