i7-6950x
Graphics
Radeon 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I'm having a real tough time trying to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina (or Mojave for that matter). I believe the issues all have to do with memory allocation based on the range of errors I've gotten and the inconsistency with which they are received. I'll first try to lay out the range of boot errors from -v, then I'll list the things I've tried and include my EFI folders. My end goal is to be able to upgrade from High Sierra straight to Catalina, but I've also tried upgrading to Mojave instead and running into all the same issues.

Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about 15 hours into this round of attempts and have run out of threads to chase down.

Thanks in advance,
John

My system:

Asus x99 Deluxe II
Intel i7-6950x 10 core 3ghz
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200

The build originally followed this High Sierra x99 guide from KGP, and currently I've looked at advice from his Mojave guide (which is essentially the same as High Sierra) as well as a Catalina thread of folks who are continuing his work since KGP is no longer active. My High Sierra build was super stable with OC prior to starting down this upgrade rabbit hole.

EFI folders attached for both my stable build (which has a handful of potential issues such as an old Drivers64UEFI folder and Test2.efi alongside AptioMemoryFix.efi) and my cleaned + updated build for Catalina.

Current BIOS settings image attached are essentially the same as here.

The problems:

- No Catalina or Mojave installer will boot
- Errors are inconsistent and hard to replicate on purpose
- Kernel Cache errors are common
- End Randomseed ++++++ error is common
- [EB]#LOG:EXITBS:START] errors are uncommon but persistent
- Couldn't allocate runtime area errors are uncommon
- These errors are starting to popup on my stable build now as well

Potential solutions I've tried:

- Updated Clover to 5137 (which broke my stable build - but not due to missing AptioMemoryFix.efi) then reverted back to 5120 (which was my stable EFI boot)
- Updated all drivers and kexts from Clover
- both Software Update path and bootable USB path installers have been tried
- Tried both Catalina and Mojave bootable USBs (full size, created via Terminal)
- Replaced AptioMemoryFix with: OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv.efi, and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi (each attempted with slides=0 and without)
- Tried the boot arg UseKernelCache=No to bypass Kernel Cache errors (which then results in one of the other errors)
- Tried a number of other Clover and OpenCore EFI folders on similar x99 Deluxe II systems from this thread (Clover had similar issues to mine, both OpenCore folders wouldn't even recognize my boot drive but I don't have any real understanding of OpenCore)
- I assume RAM socket issues aren't plausible since my build has been very stable for nearly 3 years
- Ensured that my boot USBs are 2.0

Other important notes:

- My overclock was previously unstable seemingly due to my RAM speed being too high (spec 3200mhz, but generally ran best at 2133mhz)
- Above 4G Encoding contributed to build instability in the past, so I normally run with it off
- My graphics card had memory allocation issues when first installed during initial build, I also had a Thunderbolt card I could never get stable due to similar issues
- My motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics and I don't have an alternate graphics card to try
- I previously had all my High Sierra drives running as HFS+ to speed up boot, but I've since converted them all to APFS since my understanding is that it's required for Catalina

Attachments

• EFI (updated and cleaned for Catalina).zip
    31.9 MB · Views: 50
  • EFI 10.13.6 (stable build but not updated).zip
    32 MB · Views: 79
  • Current BIOS Settings (No Overclock).png
    Current BIOS Settings (No Overclock).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce

My motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics

Damn, I had no idea. KGP was still suggesting Nvidia cards for his Mojave x99 and x299 builds, pretty unfortunate that a lot of folks who followed his guides will be left in similar situations as I am now to choose between staying at High Sierra or trying to find an AMD card in this current market.

KGP was still suggesting Nvidia cards for his Mojave x99 and x299 builds,
really?

Damn, I had no idea. KGP was still suggesting Nvidia cards for his Mojave x99 and x299 builds, pretty unfortunate that a lot of folks who followed his guides will be left in similar situations as I am now to choose between staying at High Sierra or trying to find an AMD card in this current market.
The KGP guide that you followed is from 2017 and for High Sierra, nobody has posted in that thread since 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back