Contribute
Register

Catalina install on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 19.18.50.png

There are three main outcomes at this point :

1. It just stays there and does nothing else.
2. It stays like that for a short while then restarts.
3. The boot continues but nothing further shows on screen.

Check the disk activity light to see if anything is happening.
Does the Caps Lock light change state when you toggle the key.
It may be that the graphics are working but on a different port than the one that you have connected to the monitor.
Check for latest Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts.

One thing to try is at the Clover menu screen use the right arrow key to go to Options -> Graphics Injection
Select Inject Intel and add Platform ID 0x12345678.
This may get you going but with unaccelerated graphics/

Hey everyone - I'm also struggling some with:
Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi - BIOS 12c
Intel i9-9900k
>> Currently set to IGFX, but have 2nd monitor connected to...
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 - via DP
G.Skill Trident Z Neo - 32GB
Samsung 970 PRO m.2 - 512GB
Iogear BT adapter for magic trackpad; wired Apple keyboard
Clover v5119 per latest UniBeast

(BTW, this is my spouse's computer) I had a working Mojave install going & from what I could gather, was supposed to simply be able to run the updater through the System Prefs/App Store. Well, that crapped out on initial reboot, so I built a UniBeast key with 10.15.5 & latest UniBeast, so I could do the "alternate method" of simply doing a fresh install via USB over the existing Mojave.

Initial install goes great; reboot...now on 2nd boot up, choose the "Preloader from Preboot." Get to language selection screen and initial install wizard. Again, everything going great. After 20 min, this phase is complete. Reboot. This time, I select my SSD. Now I get hang-up here:
View attachment 479248

Any thoughts? @esafeddie - I'm enjoying your posts - you seem to have this all dialed in. I think I saw that you shared a working EFI folder a few posts back. I may give that a try & slap that on my UniBeast USB key. But if there's something else that jumps out at you, please let me know. TIA! --B

EDIT: I was just reviewing the post from @esafeddie on BIOS settings. The 1st 2 line items are different for me. Historically around here, the recommended setting is "Other OS" for macOS...that's what I had. I also had CSM=on. I'll switch to your recommended settings as well & retry. When I first did this build, I jotted down the BIOS settings from another user who had just updated BIOS to v11. Here's the post from that user attached:

Hi BooR - As far as I understand, the BIOS Settings :- Windows 8/10 = Other OS is for older boards that can only do a Legacy install, The Setting that should be used for modern boards (UEFI) is :- Windows 8/10 WHQL (don't forget to save any settings before rebooting), Good luck.

The last 3-4 UEFI builds that I've done have all used this "Other OS" setting. I've got a Z370 board - info is in my signature. I'm currently running Catalina just fine and the BIOS is set for Other OS and CSM=on. Maybe I got lucky! LOL

I'm going through this thread & testing out all the EFI folders that I'm coming across. Getting various rates of success. My problem always seems to be that, on the last boot/reboot, the progress bar (or my -v) gets all the way to about 7/8 of the way through (to the part where I put in my apple ID & do the final setup). but screen goes black & my system just sits there. I can never get to that final setup sequence. :( [[headbang]]

The last 3-4 UEFI builds that I've done have all used this "Other OS" setting. I've got a Z370 board - info is in my signature. I'm currently running Catalina just fine and the BIOS is set for Other OS and CSM=on. Maybe I got lucky! LOL

I'm going through this thread & testing out all the EFI folders that I'm coming across. Getting various rates of success. My problem always seems to be that, on the last boot/reboot, the progress bar (or my -v) gets all the way to about 7/8 of the way through (to the part where I put in my apple ID & do the final setup). but screen goes black & my system just sits there. I can never get to that final setup sequence. :( [[headbang]]

Yea man I feel your pain but of course you know my EFI Folders caters mainly for Gigabyte Z390 Boards. Your best option is to trawl the forums for successful builds on your specific Board with close as possible specs to your own and possibly pic up a good booting EFI Folder. Good luck.

PS I did ask at Gigabyte about the use of the setting 'Other OS' and that was the explanation I was given so go figure.

Yea man I feel your pain but of course you know my EFI Folders caters mainly for Gigabyte Z390 Boards. Your best option is to trawl the forums for successful builds on your specific Board with close as possible specs to your own and possibly pic up a good booting EFI Folder. Good luck.
Check out my OP.. I'm on a different build than what's in my signature. Trying to update my other half's build from Mojave to Catalina.
Gigabyte Z390 Pro WiFi - BIOS 12c
Intel i9-9900k
>> Currently set to IGFX, but have 2nd monitor connected to...
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 - via DP
G.Skill Trident Z Neo - 32GB
Samsung 970 PRO m.2 - 512GB
Iogear BT adapter for magic trackpad; wired Apple keyboard
Clover v5119 per latest UniBeast

...hence why I was hoping that you might have some insights on helping to get this over the finish line. THANKS!! :cool:

View attachment 479254

There are three main outcomes at this point :

1. It just stays there and does nothing else.
2. It stays like that for a short while then restarts.
3. The boot continues but nothing further shows on screen.

Check the disk activity light to see if anything is happening.
Does the Caps Lock light change state when you toggle the key.
It may be that the graphics are working but on a different port than the one that you have connected to the monitor.
Check for latest Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts.

One thing to try is at the Clover menu screen use the right arrow key to go to Options -> Graphics Injection
Select Inject Intel and add Platform ID 0x12345678.
This may get you going but with unaccelerated graphics/
Thanks for that info & advice! Up until now, it's basically #1 - stays there & does nothing else.

I've been playing around with some BIOS settings, and also trying a lot of the posted EFI folders that closely match my setup (firmware version & using dGPU). Sometimes I'll get through the white progress screen with the Catalina logo on the 3rd boot. Then at the point where the screen blacks out & the GPU card fan spins up briefly (my Z370 build does this too), and then is SUPPOSED to complete a progress indicator & then render the desktop, my display goes blank (but still "on") - and I'm stuck.

I've got 2 monitors - I was trying with 1 plugged into HDMI for IGFX, and one connected via DP. Thinking the other monitor would wake up & display something. So far, no luck. I'll definitely also try what you've suggested. THANKS!!
--B

If you Previously ran Clover successfully with all Apple Services working i.e App Store, iCloud, Messages, F/Time then it means you had in place a working Serial Number, ROM, MLB and SmUUID values so yes use these same values from your config.plist and inject them into the config.plist of the EFI Folder I posted before testing. Good luck.

Thanks a lot @esafeddie I finally have the install in my aorus z390 pro I move to Opencore tutorials, and managed to create the Usb boot drive and install Catalina OS, the only thing that happened, I bought an Aorus FI27Q 165hz, on Catalina when I switched to 165hz the screen went black, Im using a sapphire rx 5600 xt and my nvem with windows stop working, did you already tried Opencore in your build?

Thanks a lot @esafeddie I finally have the install in my aorus z390 pro I move to Opencore tutorials, and managed to create the Usb boot drive and install Catalina OS, the only thing that happened, I bought an Aorus FI27Q 165hz, on Catalina when I switched to 165hz the screen went black, Im using a sapphire rx 5600 xt and my nvem with windows stop working, did you already tried Opencore in your build?

Made the switch from Clover ages ago. If you setup the config.plist correctly, it shouldn't cause any failures in Windows when dual booting with OS X. The process is a lot cleaner and boots faster than Clover.

Made the switch from Clover ages ago. If you setup the config.plist correctly, it shouldn't cause any failures in Windows when dual booting with OS X. The process is a lot cleaner and boots faster than Clover.
Yes all good now, I have running Catalina 10.5.5 and windows 10 with open core, thanks a lot, will make a guide with my hardware too Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back