Zotac GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Installed Catalina 10.15.3 yesterday, worked fine once I went in and did the SSDT-EC fix.

Today when I try to boot, the system gets as far as loading macOS—it gets to the Apple logo and progress bar—and freezes. The progress bar does not fill in even the slightest. In verbose mode, it does not "hang" at any particular line. Rather, it simply freezes mid-line with the cursor sometimes in the middle of printing out a word. Disabling kexts, trying to boot in safe mode, etc change what line it's on when it freezes, but it still freezes all the same.

I had a 980 Ti that was starting to have problems. I was booting with nv_disable=1, using HD 530 graphics. The problem began after I removed the old card, and has not been resolved by the addition of a Radeon VII. Perhaps I messed up a BIOS setting? VT-d is disabled, and I have >= 64MB pre-allocated for the iGPU.

I am using the iMac17,1 sysdef, so I know I will have to make sure my screen doesn't blank after boot. I was having that problem earlier with the problematic 980 Ti, even with Lilu and WhateverGreen; that's why I was using nv_disable. But that isn't the problem here. The machine never shows up on my network, like it did before with the screen blanking.

——————————————————————————

Solved by poking through the forums to find this post. In Clover boot menu, going to Options > PCI Devices and checking "USB Ownship" and "USB Inject" got me past this issue. Strange, because it was working fine previously. I must have had a BIOS setting so I didn't need this; my BIOS seems to have reset and now I don't know what the setting was. Oh well.

Last edited:
Ran into the same problem and finally found this.

Thank you for finding the fix, and even more for updating the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back