Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina easy update and sound fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely removed voodoohda and then followed the instructions exactly in the first post.. I have sound, but only through the monitor's built in speaker and not through the desktop speakers.

I completely removed voodoohda and then followed the instructions exactly in the first post.. I have sound, but only through the monitor's built in speaker and not through the desktop speakers.

exactly the same here

I also wanted to mention that using the Mojave AppleHDA.kext alongside AppleALC and Lilu worked. They key is using the AppleHDA.kext from Mojave, until the AppleALC is updated Catalina.

Setup:
ALC898
Gene V Z77
Core i5 2500k

Last edited:
I have GA-H61N-USB3, i5-3570, GT640 (Catalina) and I followed your instructions and I have my HDMI Samsung audio again. When I upgraded to Catalina I did not have anything (input/output). Just as a note for the camera/microphone I unplugged and plugged back and I had the camera/microphone.

Hello, all
Updated 2 machines from Mojave like real Mac (i3-5010/i5-5250, HD5500/HD6000)

1. Update Clover to Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4961
info.plist from working Mojave - no changes
2. Download and install update from AppStore
3. All works fine except sound
Steps to fix sound (works on both machines):
1. Turn off sound hacks in Clover
2. Delete Voodoo from /Library/Extensions
3. Download latest AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext and put them into /Library/Extensions
4. Search vanila AppleHDA.kext (I found from Mojave) if there is no such file and put into /Library/Extensions
5. The new files unable to work even after the kext rebuild because of the permissions, fix it
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
6. kext cache rebuild
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Good luck )

Thank, it works!
Regards.

For some reason, I have to go through step 5 and 6 twice: the first there are msg .kext are not added, the second time msg is kexts are added but they have invalid ID something. After the second time, works like a champ. Thank you !

Hello, all
Updated 2 machines from Mojave like real Mac (i3-5010/i5-5250, HD5500/HD6000)

1. Update Clover to Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4961
info.plist from working Mojave - no changes
2. Download and install update from AppStore
3. All works fine except sound
Steps to fix sound (works on both machines):
1. Turn off sound hacks in Clover
2. Delete Voodoo from /Library/Extensions
3. Download latest AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext and put them into /Library/Extensions
4. Search vanila AppleHDA.kext (I found from Mojave) if there is no such file and put into /Library/Extensions
5. The new files unable to work even after the kext rebuild because of the permissions, fix it
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
6. kext cache rebuild
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Good luck )

Thank you very much! This works! :)

I work for my laptop asus n552vx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back