Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina CustoMac Pro - USB installer stuck on Apple logo (no progbar) Gig Z490 Vision D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
Core i9-10850K
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Sigh, my old Optiplex 780 hackintosh died and I was pretty tired of how slow it was anyway. So I got all excited when I saw the buyers guide for the CustoMac Pro. Too easy right? Well it was up to this point.

Per recommendation from the CustoMac Pro build buyers guide I went with the following:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios vers. F6)
Core i9-10850K
Radion RX580
2X 32GB Crucial DDR4 3200Mhz kit

Everything is working as far as POST, Bios setup using steps outlined in the build instructions.
Verbatim created the installer USB drive and had zero issues (great instructions BTW!).
The installer USB UniBeast/Multibeast disk boots up normally.

I choose to install from the Catalina Installer disk (in verbose), and I see drive activity for about 5 seconds on the USB drive. The Apple logo appears. The attached keyboard and mouse go dark and it just stays like that. Like power has been cut off form the USB hub. No progress bar. Nothing even shows up in the verbose so it's like it's failing before it even starts. Just an Apple logo making fun of me XD.

I went through the Z490 build here too and considered other Bios settings that were there but to no luck.
I did select Optimized Default each time before adding the other settings and saving in the bios.

My Corsair power supply (RM650x) does not have any USB cable for monitoring (I read that causes issues and some models have it).

My guess is that it's something USB or Thunderbolt related though but I'm at a point where I'm telling myself I must be missing something obvious, but I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Update... I updated Bios settings using the following instructions here:
and the USB keyboard and mouse were no longer powering off.

I also got verbose to show an error finally (I wasn't thinking how UniBeast has to run what you check in the spacebar options). Image provided.

Stupid monkey me forgot to screw in the motherboard after testing all the hardware through POST and Bios and I thought it was cutting off due to that but it wasn't the case. Hey, nobody is perfect.

I reverted back to the Catalina bios setup here:

...and the USB mouse and keyboard power off again when attempting to run the installer so I guess that is NOT a complete list for my build. I'll figure out which setting causes that next.

Either way, I'm still stuck with the Apple logo and no progbar still. Looking at the mobo led error it states "AF" which is "Exit boot services". I'm guessing that's because of whatever error.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Trying USBInjectAll with the fix to enable all ports with same bios settings, didn't work.

Update... it was all about the EFI partition on the installer USB which was not covered in the universal install instructions. I'll not speculate as to why. I'm uploading mine here (zipped).

1. Download my EFI partition.
2. Mount your installation boot EFI partition and replace it with what I uploaded (use latest Clover Configurator on TonyMac86 to mount the EFI). Replace the entire 2 folders, not the recursive stuff within.
3. All the kext files you need for this specific mobo and my GPU (Radeon Sapphire RX580) are in it. Sadly, the default TonyMac86 method for the CustoMac Pro build with my specs does not work. Replace everything on the EFI partition with what's in the .zip and eject.

-Run your butt to your new machine- XD

Use the Bios settings here starting from Optimized Defaults:

4. Boot off the installer USB you made from UniBeast in the tutorial here in the TonyMax86 instructions for Catalina.
5. If it doesn't load the install you have a different issue than me.
6. Run the installer. It will reboot back into the Mac OS installer twice before going into your new install... Don't mess with it until you get to the language selection dialog.
7. I haven't tested everything but so far audio is working and a single HDMI display (all I had time for today). The point is that it got me over the initial hump.
8. I wanted to make the boot drive with 2 SSDs in RAID 0 but DiskUtil/Installer app won't let that happen without some patching. That's coming next for me so more to come (I did this before with my Optiplex 780 build).

Please note my original post with my specs, I take no responsibility if you use it wrongly and get miffed. Please see my verbose initial errors and make sure your issue is the same!

I hope this helps some people with my exact initial issues. Cheers!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back