Motherboard
HP Pavilion DV6-6150sl-Clover Legacy
CPU
i7-2630QM / HM65
Graphics
HD 3000, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello once again. I am trying to update my Hackintosh to the latest macOS, in order to be able to use an exam software that is no longer compatible with El Capitan or earlier. But once again I haven't been able to pull this off myself, and therefore I kindly ask for your generous help.

I currently have a working setup with Yosemite and El Capitan. Here is a dump from diskutil list:
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                50.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Recovery HD             700.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan              80.0 GB    disk0s4
   5: 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC               118.9 GB   disk0s5
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                      Linux                         490.7 GB   disk1s1
   2:                 Linux_Swap                         9.4 GB     disk1s2
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk2
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 CLOVER EFI              209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS Catalina  15.8 GB    disk2s2
You can see the volume disk0s5 only showing its UUID, that is supposed to be an APFS container with the new Catalina install and I guess it shows like this because it has just been installed from USB, and the next boot is supposed to be the first time setup (EDIT: no that's probably because El Capitan still didn't have support for APFS).

Before trying to install Catalina I have created a new EFI partition with the latest clover (v2.5k_r5099) on my USB drive from scratch, because I have made a few hardware changes to the laptop since the last time I used OS X (notably the new CPU and display, both detailed in profile) and I think the old *SDTs and config.plist would have caused unexpected issues (I am using my original EFI for the working setup, and the only problem is my internal display going black). I used the config_HD3000_1600x900.plist file from RehabMan's repo as a starting point, and then I started making the necessary changes as per the guides around here. On my working setup I use MacBookPro8,1 as my SMBIOS, but as we know that model is now incompatible with macOS Catalina, so I had to change it to MacBookPro9,1. The MacBookPro9,x series mounts Ivy Bridge processors with HD4000 integrated graphics, so that is worth noting.

After a little troubleshooting I managed to get the installer from the USB to run, but the thing that I had never encountered before is that the graphics were running at low resolution (VGA-res?) and not the display's native resolution. During install the system rebooted as expected, finished installing and then rebooted again, but this time hanging at the line IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, am 0x0. It appears to be a problem with graphics injecting. In non-verbose I can see that the loading bar gets to about 3/4 and the pointer is drawn on screen, all in VGA-res. I will edit with a screen shot of the console hanging after posting, because quite a few of the shots I've seen online have different logs before that line.

I am also attaching EFI folders from the existing setup and from the new USB. One thing I am about to try is copying the config.plist from the working setup to the new one, because the working EFI has an old version of Clover that doesn't recognize APFS and I really don't want to touch it before the other one is working. In case that works, I expect to be stuck with an external display because that config.plist was originally RehabMan's config_HD3000_1366x768.plist. What lines do I need to change in order to make that work with an internal display of higher resolution?

So here, the post is a bit long but I prefer to not omit details that might be important without me realising. I hope someone can help me figure out how to resolve this problem, thank you.

EDIT: In the folders attached you will probably notice that the config.plist files have been edited with Clover Configurator. I know that in the guides this is advised against, but I have had to try several fixes suggested around the web that I didn't know how to implement otherwise.

EDIT2: here is a screen shot from the freezed console: DSC_3236.JPG
Notice two things:
  • The lines Unsupported CPU etc. Is it because I still haven't fixed power management, or does it have to do with the problem?
  • The pointer is drawn (in VGA-res). I haven't noticed this in other screen shots online so this might suggest where exactly it halts.
Also, I have tried the config.plist from the working EFI, with SMBIOS MacBookPro9,1 and MacBookPro9,2, with very similar results.

EDIT3: When using the working config.plist with SMBIOS MacBookPro9,2 (the 13" with no dedicated graphics), there are two additional lines before the two IOConsoleUsers lines:
Code:
ifnet_attach: All kernel threads created for interface en0 have been scheduled at least once. Proceeding.
_dlil_attach_flowswitch_nexus: en0 1500 1500

Attachments

• CLOVER_working_w_Yos&ElCap.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 155
  • CLOVER_for_Catalina.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Hello once again. I am trying to update my Hackintosh to the latest macOS, in order to be able to use an exam software that is no longer compatible with El Capitan or earlier. But once again I haven't been able to pull this off myself, and therefore I kindly ask for your generous help.

I currently have a working setup with Yosemite and El Capitan. Here is a dump from diskutil list:
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                50.0 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Recovery HD             700.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan              80.0 GB    disk0s4
   5: 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC               118.9 GB   disk0s5
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                      Linux                         490.7 GB   disk1s1
   2:                 Linux_Swap                         9.4 GB     disk1s2
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk2
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 CLOVER EFI              209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS Catalina  15.8 GB    disk2s2
You can see the volume disk0s5 only showing its UUID, that is supposed to be an APFS container with the new Catalina install and I guess it shows like this because it has just been installed from USB, and the next boot is supposed to be the first time setup (EDIT: no that's probably because El Capitan still didn't have support for APFS).

Before trying to install Catalina I have created a new EFI partition with the latest clover (v2.5k_r5099) on my USB drive from scratch, because I have made a few hardware changes to the laptop since the last time I used OS X (notably the new CPU and display, both detailed in profile) and I think the old *SDTs and config.plist would have caused unexpected issues (I am using my original EFI for the working setup, and the only problem is my internal display going black). I used the config_HD3000_1600x900.plist file from RehabMan's repo as a starting point, and then I started making the necessary changes as per the guides around here. On my working setup I use MacBookPro8,1 as my SMBIOS, but as we know that model is now incompatible with macOS Catalina, so I had to change it to MacBookPro9,1. The MacBookPro9,x series mounts Ivy Bridge processors with HD4000 integrated graphics, so that is worth noting.

After a little troubleshooting I managed to get the installer from the USB to run, but the thing that I had never encountered before is that the graphics were running at low resolution (VGA-res?) and not the display's native resolution. During install the system rebooted as expected, finished installing and then rebooted again, but this time hanging at the line IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, am 0x0. It appears to be a problem with graphics injecting. In non-verbose I can see that the loading bar gets to about 3/4 and the pointer is drawn on screen, all in VGA-res. I will edit with a screen shot of the console hanging after posting, because quite a few of the shots I've seen online have different logs before that line.

I am also attaching EFI folders from the existing setup and from the new USB. One thing I am about to try is copying the config.plist from the working setup to the new one, because the working EFI has an old version of Clover that doesn't recognize APFS and I really don't want to touch it before the other one is working. In case that works, I expect to be stuck with an external display because that config.plist was originally RehabMan's config_HD3000_1366x768.plist. What lines do I need to change in order to make that work with an internal display of higher resolution?

So here, the post is a bit long but I prefer to not omit details that might be important without me realising. I hope someone can help me figure out how to resolve this problem, thank you.

EDIT: In the folders attached you will probably notice that the config.plist files have been edited with Clover Configurator. I know that in the guides this is advised against, but I have had to try several fixes suggested around the web that I didn't know how to implement otherwise.

EDIT2: here is a screen shot from the freezed console:View attachment 437310
Notice two things:
  • The lines Unsupported CPU etc. Is it because I still haven't fixed power management, or does it have to do with the problem?
  • The pointer is drawn (in VGA-res). I haven't noticed this in other screen shots online so this might suggest where exactly it halts.
Also, I have tried the config.plist from the working EFI, with SMBIOS MacBookPro9,1 and MacBookPro9,2, with very similar results.
Apple has dropped support for HD3000 in Mojave and later (Catalina included)

high Sierra is the latest OS you can install

Okay, thank you for replying. Does anybody know what I need to change in my config.plist in order to make the new internal higher-res display work?

You are not going to get a reply in this forum section HD3000 is not supported at all in Catalina. Ask this question the High Sierra forums as stated before that is the highest you can go. No config.plist editing is going to get this working.

What you're asking for can be done, but even though Hackintosh isn't officially supported any where really, what you're wanting to do exceeds the bounds of the community here. If you have a booting system, I'd start with:

Legacy-Video-patch

Beyond that, bear in mind that graphics injection via Clover doesn't work beyond High Sierra; you'll have to follow the guide here:

Intel® HD Graphics for Hackintosh

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back