Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
I built Catalina 10.15 and had no issues with it for a few days. Now without notice, it reboots whether it is idle or not. I can find nothing in the Console to show where the issue lies. At first I thought it was linked with the screensaver but even disabling that and choosing "Never" for computer sleep and display sleep doesn't seem to help.

I have used the iMac 13,1 system definition profile along with the following drivers:
- Apple ALC
- VirtualSMC
- Intel Generic AHCI SATA
- AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.6
- 3rd Party USB 3.0
- Remove XHCI Boot Port Limit
- USBInjectAll

Bootloader: Clover Legacy Boot Mode

Graphics: HD4000
- added core graphics fixup AKA WhateverGreen

Attached is a copy of my config.plist file.

Can someone please provide guidance or tips on how I can rectify this issue?

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
Motherboard
Z490 Phan ITX/TB3
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I had this issue long ago on macOS High Sierra. Fixed it by mounting my main drive EFI's (ensure no other EFI partitions are mounted), and running the following Terminal command:
Code:
touch /Volumes/EFI/.metadata_never_index
You may need to type sudo before the command, but on my machine the normal touch command will work. Generating a .metadata_never_index file on your EFI partition will ensure macOS does not index nor analyze the drive, as that was causing my system to randomly reboot.

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Thanks for sharing. How did you find the cause of the reboots?

Motherboard
Z490 Phan ITX/TB3
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Thanks for sharing. How did you find the cause of the reboots?

Trial-and-error. Reading these forums and r/Hackintosh are great resources. In my case, it took me 3 months to figure out that the laundry list of "mdworker" processes in Activity Monitor would occur before every crash. That meant Spotlight was trying to index all my partitions, including the EFI partition that's supposed to be protected/hidden. Creating the no scan file .metadata_never_index at the root of my EFI partition did the trick! I do it now on all Hackintoshes I've built since and haven't had a random reboot since.

If that doesn't work, maybe try slightly increasing your CPU voltage +0.05v and/or flashing your BIOS. Those are things that have caused random reboots as well when I process things under load with either a degraded/old CPU, or with non-stock CPU+RAM frequency settings.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151
CPU
Intel Core i5-8400
Graphics
XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Trial-and-error. Reading these forums and r/Hackintosh are great resources. In my case, it took me 3 months to figure out that the laundry list of "mdworker" processes in Activity Monitor would occur before every crash. That meant Spotlight was trying to index all my partitions, including the EFI partition that's supposed to be protected/hidden. Creating the no scan file .metadata_never_index at the root of my EFI partition did the trick! I do it now on all Hackintoshes I've built since and haven't had a random reboot since.

If that doesn't work, maybe try slightly increasing your CPU voltage +0.05v and/or flashing your BIOS. Those are things that have caused random reboots as well when I process things under load with either a degraded/old CPU, or with non-stock CPU+RAM frequency settings.

papadiche, can you walk me through this fix? I'm having the same random reboots issue after installing Catalina.

You mentioned above to mount the main drive EFI's (ensure no other EFI partitions are mounted), and running the following Terminal command:

sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.metadata_never_index

I have the ITX version of the Aorus z390 Pro WIFI mb, I was also told it could be a power delivery issue, and as you suggested, increasing the CPU voltage might fix it.

Motherboard
Z490 Phan ITX/TB3
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.metadata_never_index

Your EFI partition on your boot drive should show the .metadata_never_index file as shown in the screenshot.

You can also try deleting the .Trashes, .TemporaryItems, and .Spotlight-V100 folders but that didn't matter for me.

You may also try offsetting your CPU voltage to a positive value (or a high fixed amount such as 1.40v) to see if that resolves the problem. I recommend you reduce CPU voltage as much as possible thereafter if your CPU simply needed more power. Running over 1.40v for long periods of time can shorten CPU lifespan (1.50v VCore 24/7 will cause the CPU to significant degrade after only 90 days). I run my i9-9900K overclocked at -50 Offset, as shown in the screenshot. In your case, try positive 50 Offset instead.

If neither of those help, try disabling Sleep and leaving the computer alone for 24 hours. If it's still running and hasn't rebooted (check your System.log in Console.app for BOOT_TIME entries, or run the command uptime in Terminal), then likely either: A) Some part of your system is drawing too much power and you need to upgrade your PSU, or B) Some application is causing system instability, or C) Your NVRAM needs to be revisited -- native is always best if supported.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.26.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.26.33 PM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.31.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.31.17 PM.png
    1,011 KB · Views: 50
Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5-8400
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Your EFI partition on your boot drive should show the .metadata_never_index file as shown in the screenshot.

You can also try deleting the .Trashes, .TemporaryItems, and .Spotlight-V100 folders but that didn't matter for me.

You may also try offsetting your CPU voltage to a positive value (or a high fixed amount such as 1.40v) to see if that resolves the problem. I recommend you reduce CPU voltage as much as possible thereafter if your CPU simply needed more power. Running over 1.40v for long periods of time can shorten CPU lifespan (1.50v VCore 24/7 will cause the CPU to significant degrade after only 90 days). I run my i9-9900K overclocked at -50 Offset, as shown in the screenshot. In your case, try positive 50 Offset instead.

If neither of those help, try disabling Sleep and leaving the computer alone for 24 hours. If it's still running and hasn't rebooted (check your System.log in Console.app for BOOT_TIME entries, or run the command uptime in Terminal), then likely either: A) Some part of your system is drawing too much power and you need to upgrade your PSU, or B) Some application is causing system instability, or C) Your NVRAM needs to be revisited -- native is always best if supported.

I really appreciate this!! Will try and report back

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5-8400
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
no good!! I'm starting to think the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI is not meant for Hackintosh. I caved and ordered the asus z390 i gaming. I found several successful ITX build posts using that mobo. Wish me luck! Thank you for your help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.