3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Portable
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having a bit of trouble with this update.

After restarting (and selecting the installer volume to boot from) it looks like the installer stalls pretty early on. I'll leave it for a while just in case it's doing something mega-slow, but right now it doesn't look good.

Will update this thread if I find out more.

Update: I think the freeze was actually related to my complicated monitor/graphics-card setup - it was switching away to another monitor which either didn't exist or didn't work with the drivers that the installer has.

I've simplified things down now to one monitor, plugged in to the onboard graphics, with the bios set to have it as the primary, and things have progressed further.

Will update again if I actually complete the installation.

I enabled CSM from bios, update bar visually progressed but when I enter verbose mode I saw that nothing changed. I think we have to wait for apfsdriverloader64.efi to be updated.

Last edited:
Update #2: So now the installer is running through showing a progress bar (taking quite a considerable time), but then seems to be hanging right at the end. I let it run for about an hour in this state, then shut down the machine - in the hope that it had just hung whilst trying to reboot. When I then ran it again it appeared to just go through the same process, and now it's hung again. It's always a little bit hard to tell what's actually going on here, since these updaters often do reboot multiple times.

I will leave it again for a while, then may try to reboot and run the installer in verbose mode, in case that gives me more of a clue.

I am doing the same update, mine has stuck at "apfs_module_start:1682:".

Yeah, when I boot in verbose that's also the last log output I see.

It's weird though because that happens very quickly, whereas if I leave it in non-verbose mode the progress bar updates for a long time before hanging.

I am also seeing a bunch of ACPI errors before that last line. Not sure if that's "normal" for my machine under these circumstances...

Warning:

Even though the installer never completed, for a while, I could still boot back into the original beta 4. If I chose that partition instead of the installer, it booted ok (and was still on beta 4, according to About This Mac).

Now, I can't do that - it crashes hard, early on, and reboots the machine.

I'm not sure quite what changed, but I suspect that at some point the installer has corrupted the Catalina partition or left it in a half-installed state. Probably my own fault for restarting the installer so many times, trying different things, but I'm probably going to end up having to re-install Catalina from scratch.

Luckily I have another Mojave partition on this machine (for exactly this sort of situation), but I'd suggest that people are a bit cautious with this, until someone figures out how to get it to update ok.

I'm not convinced that it's stuck at "apfs_module_start:1682:" by the way.

I added a few more Kexts to my Clover config - ones that I had installed in the system but not in Clover - and that resulted in a few more log messages after the apfs one during a verbose boot.

I suspect what's actually happening is that something quite early on in the boot is disabling/redirecting the log output - and that apfs message is just pretty much the last one that makes it through.

Which is going to make it tricky to work out what the hell is actually going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back