Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catalina 10.15.7 and booting from updated OC 0.7.5 - Stuck at first apple logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks to @Feartech , OC booting now displays my active bootables. OC completes and hands off to the OS startup. Unfortunately, the startup freezes immediately at the first apple logo screen.

I need to get back in tonight and add the -v argument to see exactly what it is stuck on. But, was wondering if anyone may have a good idea or experience as to what might be happening here. The system boots and runs just fine with OC0.7.0 from a different EFI partition. Of course, I have to clear NVRAM each time I flip back and forth.

I have followed the procedure for properly updating OC in that I started over with the sample.plist in the distro and migrated my settings from the working plist. In this case, paying special attention to the BARS settings in the plist and BIOS. I have not been able to locate any missing or mistyped entries.

I thought that maybe it was a problem with GPU. But, I have a RX5700XT installed. So, I tried it with and without the adgpmod=pikera boot argument. But, it locks up in the same place each time.

Any advance info on what to be looking for tonight would be a big help.

Check this part about secure boot implementation in opencore.

If you have it set to default you will not be able to boot Catalina. You can disable it or you can tweak it to be able to

boot Catalina with some medium security settings.

Last edited:
If you have it set to default you will not be able to boot Catalina. You can disable it or you can tweak it to be able to

boot Catalina with some medium security settings.
Thank you for the info on that. I made the indicated changes. And, still no further progress.

DMGLoading = Disabled
SecureBootModel = j185
ApECID = 0

This time, I am uploading my current config, photo of the stop point messages (It's a panic), and a zipped video of the boot process. I wanted to include the actual panic log. But, it was not saved in the usual place. I think this is because the panic occurred 'before initialization'? Not sure.

My next stop is checking on whether IO80211Family injection is being attempted. As I understand, this injection isn't allowed when SecureBootModel is enabled. But, I have to find out where it is first.

Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2040.MOV.zip
    29.8 MB · Views: 44
Thank you for the info on that. I made the indicated changes. And, still no further progress.

DMGLoading = Disabled
SecureBootModel = j185
ApECID = 0

This time, I am uploading my current config, photo of the stop point messages (It's a panic), and a zipped video of the boot process. I wanted to include the actual panic log. But, it was not saved in the usual place. I think this is because the panic occurred 'before initialization'? Not sure.

My next stop is checking on whether IO80211Family injection is being attempted. As I understand, this injection isn't allowed when SecureBootModel is enabled. But, I have to find out where it is first.

Thanks for taking a look.
You must also set MiniDate and MiniVersion for Catalina.

MiniDate 20200306
MiniVersion 1412101001000000
SecureBootModel j185

You must also set MiniDate and MiniVersion for Catalina.

MiniDate 20200306
MiniVersion 1412101001000000
SecureBootModel j185
I was just about to reply that I solved it with the guides regarding [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]
Specifically changing SyncRuntimePermissions -> True

Catalina booted up when I changed this and I thought it was done. But, I guess I wasn't quite finished with everything.

So, I have made your suggested MinDate and MinVersion additions now, as well. So, I think I am finally ready to try updating to Monterey.
It will sit here running a few tasks for a while. Then I will finally get to attempt an update to 12.2... after backing everything up.

Thank you!

EDIT:: Well, I got ahead of myself. Monterey update failed right out of the chute. So, I suppose there is still more to learn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back