Contribute
Register

Catalina 10.15.6 + 5700 XT: Crashing under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, joining the club. :problem: Last discussions here are four months ago—have you had any luck as of that? I haven't consciously tried the find of @GovernorKrell but my system doesn't crash in every session, so it might have worked after complete shutdown after Windows.

But I have a ton of issues in Windows 10, too! Chrome crashes the system very often, mostly Youtube videos. But then I also get CTDs playing MSFS 2020 (flight sim) after which there is an AMD Adrenaline message about some GPU error. I've messed with fan speeds and that has worked ok but it's annoying because of the noise levels.

I also read some people claiming that the issue could be a too weak PSU and that they've got their 5700 XT to permanently behave with more power. Mine is a quality 780W and I find it a bit daunting if that isn't enough for the setup... But if nothing else helps I'm willing to make the investment soon for a beefier PSU. I'd expect that to end problems on the Hack side as well. What do you think? Or has anyone of you tried swithing to a more powerful PSU already?

By the way, I'm on latest Big Sur 11.2.3 with newest OpenCore and the issues still persist. Followed Dortania's guide to the tee.

Hi, joining the club. :problem: Last discussions here are four months ago—have you had any luck as of that? I haven't consciously tried the find of @GovernorKrell but my system doesn't crash in every session, so it might have worked after complete shutdown after Windows.

But I have a ton of issues in Windows 10, too! Chrome crashes the system very often, mostly Youtube videos. But then I also get CTDs playing MSFS 2020 (flight sim) after which there is an AMD Adrenaline message about some GPU error. I've messed with fan speeds and that has worked ok but it's annoying because of the noise levels.

I also read some people claiming that the issue could be a too weak PSU and that they've got their 5700 XT to permanently behave with more power. Mine is a quality 780W and I find it a bit daunting if that isn't enough for the setup... But if nothing else helps I'm willing to make the investment soon for a beefier PSU. I'd expect that to end problems on the Hack side as well. What do you think? Or has anyone of you tried swithing to a more powerful PSU already?

By the way, I'm on latest Big Sur 11.2.3 with newest OpenCore and the issues still persist. Followed Dortania's guide to the tee.

FWIW I'm running a 5700XT with a 10900k (no overclock, fixed VCC, loadline calibration: low) with a 750w PSU and have had no trouble whatsoever (Windows AMD driver bugs aside). I run x-plane in 4K, but the frame rates are pretty low (less than 30, sometimes 20) but no crashes.

FWIW I'm running a 5700XT with a 10900k (no overclock, fixed VCC, loadline calibration: low) with a 750w PSU and have had no trouble whatsoever (Windows AMD driver bugs aside). I run x-plane in 4K, but the frame rates are pretty low (less than 30, sometimes 20) but no crashes.
Nice to hear!

I may have progress as well but need to verify a few days. :) Per suggerstions on some Windows forums I went ahead and completely removed AMD Adrenalin, then reinstalled the same (newest) AMD driver through Windows device manager. After a couple of days playing MSFS 2020 with extreme loads I haven't had a single crash. To be fair, the sim was updated at the same time and it was a performance update, so that may have played into the positive experience. But I haven't had any crashes while browsing the net either. I switched to Brave browser on all my devices, maybe that helped too? On the other hand it's based on Chromium and therefore perhaps not free of the hardware acceleration bug... And on the Mac side Safari sometimes crashed as well.

Before switching to Hack I shut down the rig completely, as someone suggested. I waited some 20 sec before booting to Mac side and within this two days my Hack has not crashed. Wouldn't bet my life on this but it's looking good now.

(And yes, 5700 XT seems very capable for X-Plane 11 too. I also fly it on the Mac and it's performing great while quite maxed out. Unfortunately I don't enjoy it very much anymore after getting MSFS... It's quite something to get a constant 40 FPS above Manhattan with most sliders on high and a few important ones on ultra (reso is 1080 though). Even medium settings would look seriously good for the most part.)

Nice to hear!

I may have progress as well but need to verify a few days. :) Per suggerstions on some Windows forums I went ahead and completely removed AMD Adrenalin, then reinstalled the same (newest) AMD driver through Windows device manager. After a couple of days playing MSFS 2020 with extreme loads I haven't had a single crash. To be fair, the sim was updated at the same time and it was a performance update, so that may have played into the positive experience. But I haven't had any crashes while browsing the net either. I switched to Brave browser on all my devices, maybe that helped too? On the other hand it's based on Chromium and therefore perhaps not free of the hardware acceleration bug... And on the Mac side Safari sometimes crashed as well.

Before switching to Hack I shut down the rig completely, as someone suggested. I waited some 20 sec before booting to Mac side and within this two days my Hack has not crashed. Wouldn't bet my life on this but it's looking good now.

(And yes, 5700 XT seems very capable for X-Plane 11 too. I also fly it on the Mac and it's performing great while quite maxed out. Unfortunately I don't enjoy it very much anymore after getting MSFS... It's quite something to get a constant 40 FPS above Manhattan with most sliders on high and a few important ones on ultra (reso is 1080 though). Even medium settings would look seriously good for the most part.)

I’ve been waiting for a Zibo-level airliner to be released for MSFS, how are things on that front? I just couldn’t get into the stock airliners at launch, they seemed pretty incomplete on the inside :)
Good to know about uninstalling adrenaline and using windows device manager, I might give that a shot right now!

I’ve been waiting for a Zibo-level airliner to be released for MSFS, how are things on that front? I just couldn’t get into the stock airliners at launch, they seemed pretty incomplete on the inside :)
Good to know about uninstalling adrenaline and using windows device manager, I might give that a shot right now!
Sorry canyondust, I didn't notice you last post. :) How is your 5700XT behaving nowadays?

I'm still having quite a lot of random black screen crashes on the Mac side (11.2.3) but have to admit that I've usually forgotten to wait the 20 sec or so as suggested after powering down Windows. I don't really know whether that would change the outcome—at first it did.

You asked about MSFS and the big airliners. As of today, there have been fixes to the standard A320 and B747 but I fly them rarely and don't really no their instruments in-depth so I couldn't really tell. But there's a freeware version by Flybywire of A320 that gets a lot of praise and is constantly updated. I find it excellent too. B747 also has a freeware version that is way better than the Asobo one and it is an ongoing project. Have to really admire the joint effort in making those as I believe it is the first time in flight simming that this kind of thing happens. I think there are many commercial versions of airliners in the Asobo marketplace but I haven't visited there for some time...

Wow, interesting: looks like 11.4 with its support for 6000 series might have finally fixed the 5700XT problems! Since updating two days ago, I've had no flickerings at all nor a single crash. The Hack is behaving again. Sure hope this is a permanent development. :) Has anybody noticed the same?

Wow, interesting: looks like 11.4 with its support for 6000 series might have finally fixed the 5700XT problems! Since updating two days ago, I've had no flickerings at all nor a single crash. The Hack is behaving again. Sure hope this is a permanent development. :) Has anybody noticed the same?
I had a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+, it was giving me frequent black screens both in Mac OS (Catalina) and in Windows, with two different motherboards, CPU overclocked and at stock, with two different Power Supply units (both at 650w) and a whole host of offer configurations with RAM, SSD/HDD, new Windows / Mac OS installs, stock BIOS settings, etc.

The Sapphire 5700 XT was garbage.

Bought a Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC and it's been running perfectly in Catalina and in Big Sur. I don't think I'll be buying another Sapphire GPU.

The Sapphire 5700 XT was garbage.

I have the sapphire 5700 xt nitro and works perfect

I was celebrating too early. :lol: Oddly, the first "cycle" after updating to 11.4 worked perfectly for three days. Then I went to Windows where it performed well. I shutdown after that, gave it a couple of minutes (as suggested) and booted to Mac. Since that it's been crashing at least once every day, often because of Youtube videos, sometimes for using preview for images (not the app, just Finder preview) and even for Apple Music (and this seems to be a really effective way to make it crash). I'm beginning to suspect a conflict between the GPU and the iGPU since the latter is responsible of the preview functionality in my device setup. Perhaps I should change it to iMacPro1,1 from iMac19,1 since it was working perfectly with my previous RX590 Nitro+ and completely ignores the iGPU? But then I'd probably lose some encoding speed and such—what do you think?

I'm a little bewildered here because I have the same card as @canyondust and all is well for him. (To be sure, they have a 490 mobo and a 10900K but with same iGPU, Intel Graphics 630, so perhaps that combination works better?) Also, I had nothing bad to say about Sapphire's RX590 Nitro+... I have no experience of other RX5700 XTs, however. It could be some very minor difference.

Probably I'll try changing the device id and decide after that what to do. Does anyone have enough experience with the RX6000 series yet? Any problems there? It's out of my price range at the moment and in this hardware market situation probably even hard to come by but it would be interesting to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back