i3
Graphics
Motherboard graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
We recently updated a bunch of our machines to Catalina 10.15.4. using Unibeast, etc. One, a GA-Z87-UD5H with a GTX9xxx series graphic card we tried to update to 10.15.5 and it rebooted but stayed at 10.15.4.
-We tried with the combo update and also with the built-in. software update.
-Additionally, it is resetting over and over again when left on for a period of time. The operating system does not update but the machine keeps resetting every hour or so.
-It has two Catalina volumes, one is with the Data prefix.
-In addition to Lan and Sound, the only other Multibeast options I believe we installed were for USB. It gave us defaults for system definition.
-We are one bios update behind and I'll update that tonight.
-I was one of the first to build Hackintoshes around 2007 or so but haven't been working with them for a while.
-I have no idea how to troubleshoot anymore to fix this and really need help

I think I have the same problem as you when I try to update my GA-H107N-WiFi from Catalina 10.15.4 to 10.15.5.

Everytime I try to download and then apply the update, macOS quits and the black splash screen appears with a white progress bar. The progress bar does NOT complete 100% (perhaps only 10%) then it restarts. When it loads Clover, no new volume appears that is responsible to perform the update. I guess the update volume did not complete creation and the system restarted.

How should I proceed to troubleshoot?

As I have the same issue updating from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 I'd like to know too. I tried both Software Update and the standalone 10.15.5 updater and after running them each I still remain at 10.15.4. It's really no big deal as 10.15.4 is fine and stable but it is perplexing.

Are you using fake smc?

I changed to virtual smc, & I was able to update.. Not sure if that was the problem, but I am now on 10.15.5.

I tried using the latest VirtualSMC but the same error persists. :(

Any other suggestions?

Is there any way to show verbose output during the update? Right now, I get a black splash screen. I hope to see the actual update progress, to read the exact error messages during the update. I tried to read the system.log but I couldn't really pinpoint the lines explaining the update failure.

So, I saw that MultiBeast 12.2.0 was out and decided to apply it to my Startup SSD. It updated Clover to r5118. After restarting I tried the 10.15.5 Update again from System Preferences Software Update. Still no joy. It went through the motions like it was applying the update, restarting twice, but once it finished the machine was still on 10.15.4. Very strange. In the running of MutiBeast 12.2.0 I did confirm that VirtualSMC is installed and that my system definition is iMac 14,2.

How about download the latest 10.15.5 Catalina ISO, make the installation USB, then install the ISO? Maybe that will work?

Will installing the 10.15.5 ISO preserve my data and settings?

I saw that MultiBeast 12.3.0 was out and that it updated Clover to r5119 (I was on r5118). I wondered if this would help getting the system updated to 10.15.5 and figured I'd give it a try. I set all of the options the same as with MultiBeast 12.2.0 and after a bit (actually it did seem to take much longer than I recalled previous MultiBeast updates to take) the system was up and running on Clover r5119. I then applied the 10.15.5 Update from the Software Update pane of System Preferences. After it restarted a couple of times, what do you know, my system was updated to 10.15.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back