Contribute
Register

Catalina 10.15.2 Update Lost HEVC/h265 Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it works well with the last version 1.3.6 of whatevergreen

you have to compile yourself as it was not released

SMBIOS 1.1 Mac Pro with RX 580 and full HW accel (DRM, HEVC...) and iGPU disabled

Using my Rx480, I tested mac pro 7,1 and imacpro 1,1 with Kexts WEG 1.3.5, Lilu 1.40 and HEVCEnabler from post #3 . Videoproc shows both HEVC and H264 are available (with iGPU disabled).

I'm on 10.15.2 .

AppleTV works too. I don't have netflix though :p

i tested mac pro 7,1 and imacpro 1,1 with WEG 1.3.5 and Lilu 1.40 . VideoProc shows HEVC and H264 (with iGPU disabled). I'm on 10.15.2 .

AppleTV works too. I don't have netflix though :p

I have that exact result on the same setup (iMP SMBIOS and same WEG & Lilu) but when I actually do an HEVC encode attempt and monitor in terminal, it’s not using the GPU for it (I don’t think).

How can we positive here?

at first, i was trying to export in FCPX using HEVC (compressor) and i realised compressor doesn't use the GPU.

so i just did a conversion of proress422 to HEVC in videoproc and the conversion indeed speeded up as compared to the previous settings that i was using which were macmini 8,1 and imac9,1 . the CPU usage was also reduced from 80% to 45% . so i take that as a confirmation.

although in the terminal, i still see the HWChannel VCELLQ value remained at 0 while converting the video to HEVC. it got values when i converted to h264.

Well it works well with the last version 1.3.6 of whatevergreen

you have to compile yourself as it was not released

SMBIOS 1.1 Mac Pro with RX 580 and full HW accel (DRM, HEVC...) and iGPU disabled
Nice, question; Mac Pro 1.1 Smbios still works even tho you got kabylake processor. Cause I got kabylake i5 8500 with RX570 4gb vram on my desktops build, I’m trying make Drm to work and HEVEC any suggestions?

First of all make sure your GPU is named "GFX0" or "GFXA" (WhateverGreen) will fix this for you, second make sure you have proper GPU power management (Agpm Injector Makes This Possible' PS: I've edited this kext to work only on iMacPro 1.1 smbios and rx 580 gpu like in my hack). I've put agin hevc enabler to make it easier. If your system boots to black screen using weg use " agdpmod=pikera " boot arg.

question; Mac Pro 1.1 Smbios still works even tho you got kabylake processor. Cause I got kabylake i5 8500 with RX570 4gb vram on my desktops build, I’m trying make Drm to work and HEVEC any suggestions?

I have not done any further checks on this one but everything seems ok here, at least with SMBIOS 19.1 and iGPU enabled.
I don't know if VideoProc writes the name of the graphics card in the head even if it uses another one.

1.png

So im dualbooting 10.14.6 / 10.15.2 using iMacPro1,1 smbios. Vega56. iGPU disabled
When i use Videoproc (3.5) on 10.14.6. everything works flawlessly.
On 10.15.2 Videoproc begins encoding and as soon as i press stop. The computer shuts down.
Anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.01.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.01.25 AM.png
    822.8 KB · Views: 181
I have not done any further checks on this one but everything seems ok here, at least with SMBIOS 19.1 and iGPU enabled.
I don't know if VideoProc writes the name of the graphics card in the head even if it uses another one.

View attachment 442015
hi you have test acceleration real. select 4k hevc convertion video and watch if amd is green

For who may be interested or looking for troubleshooting, today I messed up with H264 and HEVC hardware acceleration after upgrading BIOS of my Gigabyte motherboard. As this post helped me in the past and it always shows as result from search, I'm sharing my finds so maybe it can help others.
So after digging the forum a while (=hours!), I found incorrect setting in the internal GPU configuration in BIOS setup. If you lost hw acceleration as I did, maybe it worth with to take a look in your BIOS settings. I found wrong setting in Aperture size (was 2048MB) so I changed it and problem solved.
See bellow my settings.

1585175132084.png

You can use Hackintool and/or VideoProc to check whether acceleration is active:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 19.29.57.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 19.37.01.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back