i7-4790S
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If your machine crashes, OS X often saves a report. This can have useful troubleshooting details, such as which kexts were loaded at the time and which were involved in the activity that caused the crash.

In order to capture the crash report, you will need to boot into OS X successfully. So if you think it was an Nvidia-related crash, boot with nv_disable=1. If you think it was related to a specific driver, temporarily remove that driver kext (and boot without caches if it was installed to the system drive).

On the boot after the crash, you may get the notice that your computer restarted because of a problem:

crash-warning.png

If so, hit the Report... button, then if it's not already showing details, hit the Show Details button:

crash-options.png

Then copy and paste the whole crash report into a post in the appropriate support forum here, and hit the Don't Send button in the crash details window:

details.png

If you didn't get the "Your computer restarted because of a problem" notice, you can often find the same crash report if you run /Applications/Utilities/Console. Look under System Diagnostic Reports on the left for an entry at about the right time, and paste the content into a post in the appropriate support forum.

console.png

Note that crash reports are only available when using native NVRAM.

If you're using emulated NVRAM (EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi+RC scripts), you will not get crash reports as there is no opportunity for the RC scripts to write NVRAM data to a file.

And the boot flag debug=0x100 should stop automatic reboot on kernel panic

When I boot, about half the time at the apple logo it'll immediately switch to a cross. I then have to reboot and try again. It usually works the second time, but occasionally I have to try a third time (it also occasionally works the first time). I'm trying to find out what's going wrong here via some kind of log, but I can't find anything in System Reports. Any other places I could look?

When I boot, about half the time at the apple logo it'll immediately switch to a cross. I then have to reboot and try again. It usually works the second time, but occasionally I have to try a third time (it also occasionally works the first time). I'm trying to find out what's going wrong here via some kind of log, but I can't find anything in System Reports. Any other places I could look?

I have the same problem with my T3600. Either flawless boot, a stop error which I think is your cross. I can see that if I use -v for verbose, or a third thing that just suddenly reboots the machine before I can read the last line.

And the boot flag debug=0x100 should stop automatic reboot on kernel panic

I think this is what I need to identify the auto reboot! I will try when I get home, thanks!

I have the same problem with my T3600. Either flawless boot, a stop error which I think is your cross. I can see that if I use -v for verbose, or a third thing that just suddenly reboots the machine before I can read the last line.

I think this is what I need to identify the auto reboot! I will try when I get home, thanks!
Can confirm -v and debug=0x100 displays the errors well. Because of it I was able to find my boot problem in this thread
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-couldnt-allocate-runtime-area.194452/page-3

And fix using seanparkerfilms' recommended solution using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

If you didn't get the "Your computer restarted because of a problem" notice, you can often find the same crash report if you run /Applications/Utilities/Console. Look under System Diagnostic Reports on the left for an entry at about the right time, and paste the content into a post in the appropriate support forum.
Please update the information. This field is not found in the Console app

The problem I'm currently got is that I'm trying out a bunch of graphics cards and they're pretty much all throwing up a kernel panic as soon as the graphics system tries to start up. I can see the panic appear in verbose module; unfortunately several pages fly off the screen before I've had a chance to look at it, leaving me staring at a bunch of module symbols (?) and a request to contact panic.apple.com. Is there any way of being able to capture this information so I can read it at a sensible pace?

Back