Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE B250M-HD3
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
HD 630
Hi, I'm very new to this Hackintosh things (been using only 2 months) and the discovery is really amazing. I want to thanks all the devs, contributors of this forum without whom Hackintosh would not be possible.

I've read some of the basic guides and slowly understanding the works. However, I really couldn't get the SMBIOS' mystery. With a working config.plist file, if I change the SMBIOS to 18,2 or 18,3 and then restarts, the display flickers and every screen refresh makes it worse. But whenever I change it to 18,1 it works! Hackintool was suggesting me to use 18,2 or 18,3

Since I'm using a pretty low resolution display (1366x768), I discovered something while changing smbios. There is a difference in font rendering when I use a SMBIOS with non-retina display vs one with Retina display. But this is another topic I guess.

So, the question is, how can I use 18,2 or 18,3 and why I can't use them when I can even use 19,1!

If your profile is accurate, iMac18,1 is a better option for you. 18,2 and 18,3 have a dedicated GPU, which is why you see all the problems -- it's trying to use an AMD GPU that you do not have because on those models, the HD630 iGPU is only used for QuickSync and similar tasks, not video output. Check the specs of actual Macs and find the one that is closest to your actual hardware.

If your profile is accurate, iMac18,1 is a better option for you. 18,2 and 18,3 have a dedicated GPU, which is why you see all the problems -- it's trying to use an AMD GPU that you do not have because on those models, the HD630 iGPU is only used for QuickSync and similar tasks, not video output. Check the specs of actual Macs and find the one that is closest to your actual hardware.

That's good to know. This means I can use disable external gpu patch to use those right?

If you don't have a discrete GPU, there's no reason to use iMac18,2 or 18,3. The real iMac18,1 is the same thing as 18,2 or 18,3, just without an AMD GPU in them. Those system definitions will still be expecting the dGPU to be there, whether you disable the device in your DSDT or not, so they'll still cause you issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back