Contribute
Register

Can't update to the new iWork

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been able to update all iWork apps and iPhoto as well, but not the iMovie.
When trying to update iMovie on VM, it says video card is not supported.

I'm in exactly the same situation as redbroccoli. Everything updating nicely apart from iMovie which doesn't like the VMWare video settings.

(I know iMovie is part of iLife and not iWork but I was having problems with both)

Thank you for the vm idea. I will try and let you all know. i updated iTunes and some other apps but the iWork won't work.

I'm in exactly the same situation as redbroccoli. Everything updating nicely apart from iMovie which doesn't like the VMWare video settings.

(I know iMovie is part of iLife and not iWork but I was having problems with both)

Same here. Using the virtual machine I was able to update to the latest versions of iPhoto, GarageBand, Keynote, Numbers and Pages. But not iMovie, it won't let me install it in the virtual machine, because of the graphics. Is there a way to somehow force install the app in the virtual machine? Or some other workaround?

This probably doesn't help you, but here's what I did. I've always done a clean install for each new OS, habit from the old Windows days! I did a clean Maverick's install. iLife was free immediately after that, didn't update it. Maybe you could try moving or deleting iMovie from the apps folder, so you have an "install" option instead of "update" in the App Store.

This probably doesn't help you, but here's what I did. I've always done a clean install for each new OS, habit from the old Windows days! I did a clean Maverick's install. iLife was free immediately after that, didn't update it. Maybe you could try moving or deleting iMovie from the apps folder, so you have an "install" option instead of "update" in the App Store.

When I do that, the Mac App Store wants me to pay for the download. :/

EDIT: And now, even though I moved the iMovie app back to the applications folder, the update is not offered to me at all any more. The only thing I can do is to buy the app as a new purchase/download. This is very weird.

I'm getting an error about virtualisation from vm fusion. it won't install os x. Probably i need to get that vm on windows.
You say that you did a clean mavericks install, i did that too, but the apps were not free.
Can you elaborate? Have you done something special?
Did you logged in from the os x install screen or after that?
thank you.

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize I'd purchased them previously. I don't remember buying them from the App Store, but it says I bought them in Aug 2011. I did buy the retail version at some point. I don't know if I accidentally purchased iLife from the App Store, or if two years ago Apple had the same thing where it converted retail disk installs to the App Store.

I can confirm the VMWare method works like a charm. Just a huge PITA. Interestingly, GarageBand was the only app I didn't have to do this for. The App Store gave me the option to install next to my GarageBand '11 install. Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back