I5-4440
Graphics
Intel 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!

Some weeks ago I decided to update to 10.14.5. Things worked fine. Then I decided to update to .6, it did not work. I went back to .5. Then I noticed that, when trying to access AppStore, it would freeze the machine - nothing else would work, not even the mouse. I had to hard boot the machine.

Today I decided for a new install in another HD (I have two identical SSD drives). Installation was ok, no problem. I checked the updates for the OS and updated to 10.14.6 18G95 (my Unibeast USB pendrive has the 10.14.1 version). Update successful.

Then tried App Store, and again it froze the machine.

Any help on that?

Thanks!

Hi!

Some weeks ago I decided to update to 10.14.5. Things worked fine. Then I decided to update to .6, it did not work. I went back to .5. Then I noticed that, when trying to access AppStore, it would freeze the machine - nothing else would work, not even the mouse. I had to hard boot the machine.

Today I decided for a new install in another HD (I have two identical SSD drives). Installation was ok, no problem. I checked the updates for the OS and updated to 10.14.6 18G95 (my Unibeast USB pendrive has the 10.14.1 version). Update successful.

Then tried App Store, and again it froze the machine.

Any help on that?

Thanks!
I don't have this problem, but there's a thread of those that have had it,

So, it's all working fine just DPCIManager has issues? if so then probably DPCIManager needs an update. My built in HD4000 and video card both show up in system report and both work after update fwiw.
Why don't you use Hackintool which does the same job and a lot more. DPCIManager is almost deprecated…
jcds83

@jcds83

i would love to hackintool more often but its not really optimized for x58 chipsets..

all WEG tuning etc are for sandy and newer

there are bits and pieces I can use but I wish the dev would make it more useful for older chipsets

as for the 10.14.6 supplementals..

real mac pro 5,1 users have reported they were unable to update with newer AMD graphics cards installed, like VEGA and possibly 580's

seems the issue is that some of the screens during the update were improperly coded with metal/opengl and that when the install finished the setup screen (you know the privacy notice, EULA etc, ) would go black.

they are placing old legacy cards in to finish the update or to do a fresh combo update then replace the VEGA

I too, during the update without knowing this thought the updates were failing and manually rebooted a couple times.. seems eventually it completed although it might have corrupted the update... disk util first aid does show some physical extent issues but exits code 0 saying it passed but there are some unrepairable errors..

have it booting at the moment and showing g95 but I still am having issues with VEGA, 2 monitors. If I try and boot or plug in my HDMI monitor all go black screen with the system still running behind it logging GPU.restarts crashes in console

if I boot with just my 4k TV connected via DP to HDMI active get to the login screen, sleep the machine, turn on my HDMI monitor (it has to be OFF or unplugged not in standby) then wake the machine, I have multi monitor and it sleeps and wakes both most of the time until reboot.

I am using Mac Pro 5,1 systdef with boot args for SHIKI board spoofing to iMac pro. experimenting with ATI deist on/off in clover

for me clover below 5000 seems more reliable.. was having fits with 5045 and 5070, went back to 4932 and things are improved... I am UEFI booting this old board and have native nvram with aptiomemoryfix so not using rc scripts and values are holding

any help or suggestions appreciated !!!

I am using Mac Pro 5,1 systdef with boot args for SHIKI board spoofing to iMac pro. experimenting with ATI deist on/off in clover

for me clover below 5000 seems more reliable.. was having fits with 5045 and 5070, went back to 4932 and things are improved... I am UEFI booting this old board and have native nvram with aptiomemoryfix so not using rc scripts and values are holding

You are right; I think you need to downgrade your Clover. Go to that page : Clover Bootloader Page and you'll see that the developers propose not all the versions but only some, the most important and the most reliable.
For instance, I know that Clover_v2.3k_r3577 is for El Capitan and by experience if I install the next version Clover_v2.3k_r3911 on this site, I need to upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.
On my son's hackintosh which is under Clover 3577 and El Capitan, Lily and Whatevergreen work well. You should give them a try.
jcds83

You are right; I think you need to downgrade your Clover. Go to that page : Clover Bootloader Page and you'll see that the developers propose not all the versions but only some, the most important and the most reliable.
For instance, I know that Clover_v2.3k_r3577 is for El Capitan and by experience if I install the next version Clover_v2.3k_r3911 on this site, I need to upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.
On my son's hackintosh which is under Clover 3577 and El Capitan, Lily and Whatevergreen work well. You should give them a try.
jcds83

thanks man... wish that there were a more concerted effort by the actual dev's of clover and the other patches to keep a more proactive WIKI with meaningful documentation on which version cap at what hardware / macos versions

I am pretty much convinced I will be caping this board at Mojave.. if not for hardware limitations.. because with the loss of 32bit applications .. I will be up the creek on several packages that I either don't want to buy again or are just not available any longer but I have years worth of ongoing records in ..and will have to maintain

as far as you know .. what is the MINIMUM stable clover for 10.14.6?

right now I think that the only issues I am having are all VEGA related.. and it seems that the windows crowd and real macpro5,1 guys are all having issues with VEGA too.. all seem to stem from the same failure to either signal sync properly, maintain that signal sync, or fails to init and or init and get proper EDID values...

compound the VEGA's poor firmware with apples less than stellar and certainly 'closed' drivers that are really no longer open enough to fully support reference layouts with current patches and hacks that I have found and I think that is where the limitations will stay

there are no real Mac products, save the Mac Pro 5,1, that are advertised to work with the VEGA card with DP and HDMI connections.. the imacpro does all external monitors over TB3 and every other mac only works the reference VEGA cards as eGPU over TB ...

I think perhaps we need some kind of hack for spoofing internal dGPU cards as installed in eGPU enclosures provided there are no operating limitation on a eGPU that would keep it from operating as the primary and only display drivers for systems that don't have intel CPU graphics

another possible issue is that my HDMI monitor is a really old gateway FDH2400 from like more than 10 years ago.. and my 4k@60 tv is a el cheapo SEIKI . and when I had that monitor running 4k60 with the same DP1.2 active adapter on the gtx660 on el capitan .. I had to use switchresx to custom profile 4k60.. and at 60 it would not do audio over HDMI .. it would be garbled.. had to run it at 50, 30, 24 hz if I wanted to use audio.. it also capped out at a pixel clock of 533 anything higher and it would not work..

currently I think that WEG/apple drivers are driving the pixel clock of 4k60 at 599 .. and that might be overdriving my display.. not sure... seems to display fine at 60, sometimes at 30. but 4k@24 is all distorted

the HDMI blanking might be that the drivers are only trying to push a higher version of HDMI than the monitor is capable of ? not sure.. but it seems like there are now dozens upon dozens of people posting black screen issues like this using the HDMI port..

hope the WEG folks look into it..

Last edited:
Just to remember in case of MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15, iMac 17 or Mac18,3 system definition. After update I always get the black screen again:

For non-Apple hardware, This can cause your GPU not to send a signal to your monitor (black screen) at boot while using the MacPro6,1 (Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 board-id), or iMac15 (Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 or Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5 board-ids), or iMac17 (Mac-65CE76090165799A or Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D board-ids) system definitions. If this is happening to you, your system will still be responsive but have no signal coming from the GPU's ports to the monitor.

(from: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/)

I use Mac18,3 (BE088AF8C5EB4FA2) and I get the black screen by each update. Here comes a recipe for this situation:

* with Carbon Copy Clone I make the backup of my boot driver.
* Update clover and kexts
* Check if running by rebooting
* Run the update
* The computer reboots one or two times, but after the last reboot the monitor gets no signal anymore.

Now you can check if the update is done: press 3x tab and space+enter: in case of the login screen the mac will reboot. Choose the backup drive and then you can edit the `AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext` to avoid the black screen for the chosen system definition (for example BE088AF8C5EB4FA2):

(replace {YourDrive} with the name of your boot drive)

* sudo vi /Volumes/{YourDrive}/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
* search for "BE088AF8C5EB4FA2" and replace `Config*` by `none`
* save the file
* sudo touch /Volumes/{YourDrive}/System/Library/Extensions
* reboot and boot from the patched drive

I fixed audio:

1. removed all other kexts (VoodooHDA)
1. disabled all patches (named like *HDA) from the config.plist file
2. installed AppleALC.kext into /Library/Extensions
3. sudo touch /Library/Extensions
4. reboot

sound is working again

Last edited:
as for the 10.14.6 supplementals..

real mac pro 5,1 users have reported they were unable to update with newer AMD graphics cards installed, like VEGA and possibly 580's

seems the issue is that some of the screens during the update were improperly coded with metal/opengl and that when the install finished the setup screen (you know the privacy notice, EULA etc, ) would go black.

they are placing old legacy cards in to finish the update or to do a fresh combo update then replace the VEGA

I too, during the update without knowing this thought the updates were failing and manually rebooted a couple times.. seems eventually it completed although it might have corrupted the update... disk util first aid does show some physical extent issues but exits code 0 saying it passed but there are some unrepairable errors..

have it booting at the moment and showing g95 but I still am having issues with VEGA, 2 monitors. If I try and boot or plug in my HDMI monitor all go black screen with the system still running behind it logging GPU.restarts crashes in console

if I boot with just my 4k TV connected via DP to HDMI active get to the login screen, sleep the machine, turn on my HDMI monitor (it has to be OFF or unplugged not in standby) then wake the machine, I have multi monitor and it sleeps and wakes both most of the time until reboot.

try to turn on video bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back