Contribute
Register

Can't Update to 10.10.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That worked!
(Well the update hasn't finished yet, but it's working)

So...

1. I delete the NVRAM Ktext I used to successfully get iMessage working on my Yosemite build (locations S/L/E)
2. I deleted the plist file it creates under extras
3. I did a repair permissions and rebooted
4. Once the computer successfully rebooted I did another repair permissions
5. I run the update from apple menu (which was showing 1 new update)

The computer is now showing progress on installing the update....

Thank you, I know others who are not using Clover but have iMessage working using the NVRAM kext method have to be having the same issue. I hope this thread helps them avoid the frustrations I had and I'm sure you had.
I thank you, and my fiancé doesn't know this but she thanks you too...

Great, glad it worked out for you. I got the 10.10.4 update installed as well after removing the FileNVRAM kext from /S/L/E. The unexpected thing is even after rebooting, iMessages still works fine. I'm wondering if FileNVRAM is no longer needed for iMessages/Facetime or if it will fail after a while (like maybe after logging out and back in it would fail?).

The unexpected thing is even after rebooting, iMessages still works fine. I'm wondering if FileNVRAM is no longer needed for iMessages/Facetime or if it will fail after a while (like maybe after logging out and back in it would fail?).

Thats strange, I didn't even test it until I got the FileNVRAM back in place. I had the issue I was originally having with both the ROM:, BoardSerialNumber: saying (Null). I fixed it by adding them both in manually, then adding the FileNVRAM back to S/L/E to make them stick after reboot(s).
Well I'm happy my machine is back in order, thank you again...

Last edited:
Another thing: how did you get the error to show in your picture? When I was having the problem installing the update, it would just lock up on the installing screen no error message...

To get that error message, I just booted with -x and -v flags. Not sure if that's what did it, but that gave the error message, whereas before I got just the frozen screen ad you described.

To clarify my previous post, even though iMessages worked, I went ahead and reinstalled FileNVRAM because iMessageDebug showed not everything was properly reported (eg UUID, etc). I assume this is necessary, but can't be sure.

Might be time to reconsider switching to Clover. My first attempt didn't go so well so I switched back to Chimera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back