Graphics
Nvidia 1080 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm unable to update to 10.10.4
This is my first time ever having an issue updating.
Every time I try to update my machine locks up on Installing OS X Update no progress is made.
I have to reboot in order to get access to my machine again.

I'm unable to update to 10.10.4
This is my first time ever having an issue updating.
Every time I try to update my machine locks up on Installing OS X Update no progress is made.
I have to reboot in order to get access to my machine again.

Using Disk utility > First Aid> Verify your Yosemite HDD & Repair if needed.

I tried that already still locks up. This is pretty depressing. I think I'm going to have to reformat and start over at some point.

If MAS = Apple Store I tried that already.
I tried both Apple Store, and combo and I arrive at the same point with my machine locking up at "Installing OS X update" nothing on the progress bar.

I repair permissions, I repair the drive

Same problem here. But it's not just 10.10.4. Every Yosemite OS update so far has been a hassle on an otherwise perfect machine. And I've been running a hackintosh for a long time.

I think this has to do with Yosemite updates trying to patch the actively running OS (in this case 10.10.3). The combo installer works fine installing the bits it needs, but then it prompts for a reboot to initiate the installation. Upon pressing 'Restart', everything seems to start fine, but then hangs on the "Installing OS X Update" dialog (see attachment). The progress bar doesn't ever move and the mouse pointer freezes.

Update: Normally, the machine appears to crash as it just freezes, but I tried booting with -x -v and it wrote the error back to the screen. The attachment shows there may be some issue with the com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM kext.

Attachments

• UpdateCrash.jpg
    UpdateCrash.jpg
    956.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I'm running Chimera 4.1
I can do that, I may just run down to the store and get another hard drive. At the moment I have Mavericks on another drive, which I use when I run into problems. I think I'm going to leave that one alone.
I plan on -
a. backing up
b. Installing Yosemite on another drive
c. Seeing if I can upgrade this version to Yosemite using the new portions

I will let you know how it goes...

I'm running Chimera 4.1
I can do that, I may just run down to the store and get another hard drive. At the moment I have Mavericks on another drive, which I use when I run into problems. I think I'm going to leave that one alone.
I plan on -
a. backing up
b. Installing Yosemite on another drive
c. Seeing if I can upgrade this version to Yosemite using the new portions

I will let you know how it goes...

Edit - I'm going to try removing the NVRAM Ktext first (since I'm using it) if that doesn't work I will go with what I said up top

Don't bother trying to install the update from another drive. I just tried it and it doesn't work. The installer forces you to install only over the actively booted OS for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back