Contribute
Register

Cant see more than 4GB - tried many things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Dark Hero X570
CPU
5950X
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Apple
  3. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello folks. Thank you for this forum BTW.

This is on an Intel DX58SO with 8GB RAM.

I'm having issues seeing more than 4GB. I've done everything by the books. Boots fine, all the drivers work, etc. Even in the "about mac" I see every stick of memory. It shows 8GB in the nvidia iboot boot screen, and it even shows each 2GB stick in the system profile. I even did the install with vanilla kernel and nvidia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've also been trying this on an 8 core with 48GB RAM. It sees all 12 sticks of 4GB, but still shows 4GB. I'm assuming it's a 64bit toggle somewhere?

Thanks again.

Your com.apple.boot.plist in the /Extra folder is probably set to run the 32 bit kernel. Not sure if you will be able to run 64 bit kernel, but if you want to try, you will have to edit the kernel boot flag to x86_64 instead of i386.

-AC3

I see. I will give that a try. Seems to be what you're saying.

I'm installing from the DVD directly, and this is what it sees in that file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string> <------------------------
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Since that's in the DVD, I'm wondering how I would go about changing that during an install.

Thanks again.

I'm so dumb. I just saw the files in the Extra under iboot CD.

Thanks

Wondering if most people just use 4GB ?

Hard to believe I can't find anything with people using more than 4GB.

I've installed with 2GB and later added 4GB, but nothing. Always just stuck on 4GB.

I'm downloading the same source iBoot as everyone else.

Maybe someone can make a forced 64bit version to see the extra ram? I'm messing with a machine that can do 48GB ram :)

Thanks folks.

lightninhopkins,

iBoot itself limits you to 4GB.
Have you run Multibeast and are booting off your HDD?
Until you do that, you'll see only 4GB.

Thanks for that. I tried all that and it worked fine this time. I would crash after multibeast install, but after a few times everything worked fine.

The only issue now is, the default 10.6 install sees the audio, but after multibeast and 10.6.4 the audio driver is missing.

I'll mess with it, but things seem rock solid now.

Thanks again.

i seem to have a similar problem.. i didn't know that iboot limits the system to 4gb max... what i'm having a problem with is after upgrading to 10.6.4 w/ multibeast (easybeast w/ advanced options) i would start up with iboot but it would just hang at the apple screen.. no KP or errors of any sorts.. but just hangs.

so i restarted with iboot and it ran fine and have been using the system perfectly with that setup.. now that i'm trying to fine tune my setup.. what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back