Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490 Designare
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Vega 64
I had a fully working perfectly functioning Yosemite install with the following specs:
Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H mobo
Intel i7 2600k
8GB Ram
Intel HD3000 iGFX
4 HDD's, all non SSD (Win 7 OS, OSX OS, 2 USB 3.0 externals)

I had an ATI Radeon X1650 secondary graphics card which I used for triple display in windows, but was not supported in OS X. I recently purchased the EVGA GT740 2GB DDR3 Superclocked card (as recommended per the TonyMac hardware guide) to keep 3rd display in Windows and gain that functionality in Yosemite. After installing the card, everything still boots and works perfectly, including the new card and triple display, but it will no longer Restart or Shut Down properly. It "shuts down", the monitor connected to the HD3000 shows "no input" and the monitor connected to port 1 on the GT740 shows the same, but the monitor on port 2 of the GT740 stays on receiving input but it's just a black screen. I've tried switching 1 and 2, and also disconnecting one or the other, or both; the restart/shutdown problem still exists no matter what. When monitor 2 goes black, the computer just hangs there with the power still on and fans running. I have all sleep/wake functionality disabled in both my Bios and power saving setting in Yosemite. I did a verbose boot and there were no errors shown at shut down but it still hangs. I also tried a fresh Multibeast install with the settings that worked for me initially, as well as unplugging all USB's except for mouse and keyboard. I can't seem to figure out how this new graphics card would be messing up my restart/shut down.

Something else odd to be noted, was that after first installing the nVidia drivers and card in Windows 7 x64 and rebooting back into Win7, everything was fine. After booting into Yosemite for the first time and then trying to restart to go back to windows (which was when I first discovered the reboot problem), I had to hit the reset button on my comp and then booted into windows and my mouse and keyboard were no longer working in windows until I plugged them into different ports.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have now narrowed the problem down to the Generic USB 3.0 kext that I had to use from Multibeast. If I remove this kext, restart and shutdown work fine, but then I lose 4 of my 6 USB 3.0 ports. I tried using the Generic USB 3.0 from Mavericks MultiBeast and that didn't fix it. This kext didn't present any problems prior to installing the GT740. Any ideas?

Thanks! :beachball:

Just installed the latest NVidia Web Driver and all seems well again. Thanks, man! I can't believe this was the issue after I spent like 15 hours trying everything under the sun. lol These Web Drivers should absolutely be integrated into MultiBeast. :banghead:

I had a similar problem with my rig, I had it with Mac Pro 3.1 definition, I changed it to iMac 12.2 and now it shutdown and restart works. you have to pick the right definition, It can be looked at: http://www.everymac.com
You pick your definition according to the processor you are using.

YOSEMITE FRESH INSTALL, I had a similar problem with my rig, I had it with Mac Pro 3.1 definition, I changed it to iMac 12.2 and now it shutdown and restart works. you have to pick the right definition, It can be looked at: http://www.everymac.com
Gigabyte GA-P67a-UD7-B3
CPU: 2600K
EVGA Geforce GT 640 2GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256GB
12GB Kingston 1866GHZ Ram
Optiac DVD-RW AD-7280s

Going from Macbook Pro 3,1 to iMac 12,2 fixed my shutdown & restart problems as well. Before it wouldn't shutdown or restart at all after updating to Yosemite from Mavericks. This was on Asus P8P67 Evo B3 with i7-2600k.

Thanks for the info !

I had a similar problem with my rig, I had it with Mac Pro 3.1 definition, I changed it to iMac 12.2 and now it shutdown and restart works. you have to pick the right definition, It can be looked at: http://www.everymac.com

Thanks, was having similar prob on Yosemite 10.10.2, and now working fine - it also fixed my VMWare networking issue.

Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back