Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
I have an Asus Maximus V Extreme. I had the following hard drive/partition configuration:

500GB SSD
200MB EFI partition
400GB OS X partition
100GB Windows 8 partition (UEFI installation)

I've been trying all day to remove the Windows Boot Manager after I decided I wanted to reinstall Windows 8 as Legacy so it would show up in the Chameleon boot loader. I would have done this earlier, but I just got the USB flash drive to finally boot as Legacy instead of UEFI with RehabMan's help. Thanks RehabMan!

I've gone as far as wiping out the entire hard drive. I've deleted all partitions with OS X Disk Utility GUI and diskutil in Terminal from within OS X and the Unibeast/OSX Installer USB flash drive I have, and Windows 8 Installer on a USB flash drive using the GUI interface and diskpart and fdisk from the command prompt. I've used the delete, clean, and reinit commands and they say they work, but the Windows Boot Manager still shows in the boot options.

Even with no partitions showing in diskutil my BIOS boot options screen (pressing F8 at boot) still shows Windows Boot Manager. I've made sure that the 500GB SSD is the only storage device connected, so it's not another drive.

Even after re-installing OS X 10.8.4 clean it's still there. I don't have Windows installed right now and I don't want to try installing it again until I fix this. OS X is working great. I have access to that, the OS X installer, and the Windows 8 installer GUI and command prompt.

How can I get the Windows Boot Manager to go away?

That's not what I was looking for help with. I need to remove the Windows Boot Manager. That link was for setting up a dual boot. Essentially I want to have only OS X right now, but can't get rid of the Windows Boot Manager.

OK, give google a try then with the search term "removing windows boot manager"

I am sure you will find the answer very quickly and be able to fix your problems.

Adrian B

Tried that. Been at it all day. Mostly returns results on removing entries from the Windows Boot Manager in Windows using msconfig. That's not what I want either.

Tried that. Been at it all day. Mostly returns results on removing entries from the Windows Boot Manager in Windows using msconfig. That's not what I want either.

Try disabling UEFI in BIOS.

It shows up with Legacy only.

I just tried your suggestion of resetting the BIOS and setting to Legacy only and it's still there. I tried both just loading optimized defaults and actually pressing the reset CMOS button, but still no luck.

When I select the Windows Boot Manager from the boot options list it eventually just goes to Chameleon. There's not actually any Windows Boot Manager on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back