Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z690 extreme
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi,
I have an Nvidia GT 710, throuh HDMI 2.0 and trying to change the screen to a new one with 4k. I am finding the refresh rate on mac is 30 Hz, impossible to change it, in the menu (not the option long option "scale"), also not possible with "SwitchresX" or others tools like this.
the thing is that 4k and 60 Hz is working pretty well on windows, but no in MacOS.

Any ideas?
I've read something about HDMI 2.0 and hackingtool options, or changing the graphic card.
But if is it working on windows, i expect it to work on mac.
I am running Big Sur, so Nvidia web drivers are no needed, but what happens if i install the latest drivers from nvidia, may this possible to change the refresh rate?

There are no Nvidia Web Drivers for any new versions of macOS. Last version of macOS to support Nvidia Web Drivers was High Sierra. You use the native Nvidia drivers provided by Apple in Mojave and newer, up to and including Big Sur with any compatible Kepler series card.

If it works in Windows, I expect it to work on Mac. Why? They use completely different drivers, and graphics setups. So why would you expect it to work the same in a completely different & Hack'd OS.

I'm not even sure the GT 710 can run 4K@60Hz from the HDMI connector. Most spec sheets state is uses HDMI 1.4 and the best resolution you will get is 4K@30Hz. I have seen an Asus DDR5 card, which states it supports HDMI 1.4a. But even that card's spec sheet said the max resolution from the HDMI connector was 4K@30Hz.

Which make and model number GT 710 do you have?

I assume you have been trying different 'Fixes' for this issue. Have you removed the 'Fixes' once you found they didn't work?

I'm not even sure the GT 710 can run 4K@60Hz from the HDMI connector. Most spec sheets state is uses HDMI 1.4 and the best resolution you will get is 4K@30Hz. I have seen an Asus DDR5 card
The new Asus 4 HDMI port version says it can do 4K/60Hz but only on one output at a time.

Removing the fixes, i have removed this two:

com.apple.windowserver.plist

com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist

The card is Asus Nvidia Gt 710 2 Gb GDDR5:
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-25 a las 16.52.54.png

Now is reescaled to 2560x1440, just for visual size, but the screen resolution is 3840x2160 30Hz

And this is on windows (much more fluid):
Captura.PNG

Captura.PNG

Last edited:
The new Asus 4 HDMI port version says it can do 4K/60Hz but only on one output at a time.
And yes i am just using one HDMI for the screen, nothing else.

Same setup on windows.

Another doubt, is...
I have already a macbook pro, if i am using an external monitor, is still the same, only 30 Hz. Could be that if the macos only displays 60 Hz on an internal screen. Or may be could be related to the SMBIOS version of the macOS?

No it is not related to the SMBIOS, nor is macOS limited to 30Hz on an external screen, on a real Mac or a Hack.
  1. Which Make & Model GT 710 are you using?
  2. How many ports are available?
  3. Which type of ports are available?
  4. Which version HDMI cable are you using?
  5. Which Bootloader Clover or OpenCore are you using.
Can you provide a copy of your EFI folder. Remember to remove/redact the Serial number from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

Can you provide a copy of your IOReg, use the version of IORegistryExplorer linked in this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Please stop mentioning how the dGPU works in Windows. Your issue is in macOS, so nothing done or set in Windows makes any difference in this matter. You are comparing two completely different OS's and sets of drivers, it is like comparing Apples and Oranges, they may both be fruit but that is it as far a similarity goes.

Assumptions:
  • You are injecting Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext via Clover or OpenCore.
  • You do not have the change HECI to IMEI, change GFX0 to IGPU or change PEGP to GFX0 rename patches present and enabled in your config.plist. As these patches are dealt with by WhateverGreen.kext.
  • You are using an Empty/Headless Framebuffer for your Intel IGPU, so the Nvidia card is the only GPU used to drive a display. With your i7-3770K /HD4000 IGPU that would be AAPL,ig-platform-id: 07006201 injected via Devices > Properties (Clover) or DeviceProperties section in an OpenCore config.plist.
  • You have no other Nvidia/AMD or Intel Graphics options selected and enabled in your config.plist.

1. GT 710 (GK 208 B1 version)
2. 1 HDMi 1 DVI & 1 VGA
3. All are avaliable
4. 2.0 HDMI Cable
5. 0.7.5 Opencore

Your assumptions are right, just not the AAPL,igplatform-id: 07006201

Another interesting thing, would be to use the second monitor in the mother board hdmi conector, using the igpu too (HD4000). Not working now!

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    12.7 MB · Views: 79
  • EFI.zip
    13 MB · Views: 49
HDMI 2.0 specification was released on September 2013, I will be very surprised if you say GT 710 have HDMI 2.0 port

NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 cards do not have HDMI 2.0 port and the graphic chip does not support 4K@60Hz resolution

IOReg is damaged, so it can't be opened. Did you follow the instructions in the guide I linked when you made the copy of your IOReg? You need to try again.

As you have a 7-Series Motherboard and an 7-Series CPU you don't need SSDT-IMEI.aml in your setup. That SSDT is only required when you have a 6-Series Motherboard and 7-Series CPU.

You have CPUFriend.kext in your /OC/KExts folder, why? You have an SSDT-PM.aml in your /OC/ACPI folder which provides native CPU power management for your system. I thought the CPUFriend.kext required data from CPUFriendData.kext to work. As you don't have the Data kext CPUFriend.kext is probably doing nothing.

Your UTBMAp.kext is I beleive misconfigured, as it contains no ports with the USB2 connector type.
Your motherboard has the following USB ports:
Internal:
3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)​
1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 header (supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports)​
External:
2 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports​
4 x Ready-to-Use USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports​

I would expect that you are using one or more of the 8 USB 2 ports in your system.

Don't start messing around with the IGPU. You will just make things harder to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back