Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Cant reach installer, clover reboots. Help needed :-) ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F, 9700K Integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390F
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Hi all,
I have 3 for 3 days getting to boot, mojave, catalina etc. The furthest I have got is where I am at now. Clover loads, starts booting loading the installer and then restarts before reaching the installer.

My system is Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Mobo, I7-9700k, I am using the onboard graphics via HDMI. EFI and Config.plist are from another z390 build. Bios is set up according to Catalina guide.

Attached is EFI and config.plist from installer USB :)

- Anders

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.6 MB · Views: 110
Hi all,
I have 3 for 3 days getting to boot, mojave, catalina etc. The furthest I have got is where I am at now. Clover loads, starts booting loading the installer and then restarts before reaching the installer.

My system is Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Mobo, I7-9700k, I am using the onboard graphics via HDMI. EFI and Config.plist are from another z390 build. Bios is set up according to Catalina guide.

Attached is EFI and config.plist from installer USB :)

- Anders
Have tried booting with the -v boot flag so you can how far it gets? Hit the spacebar at the clover boot screen and scroll down to boot verbose, check the box and scroll back up. I think you may have the wrong memory driver or you can update it to the version in the attached. This is from the Everything Works Thread for the ASUS Z390 Rog Strix Gaming i. Very similar board and this is the DGPU version of the EFI folders for Catalina offered for download. Make sure you have secure boot disabled along with these recommendations for the i board.

1. Check the BIOS version and update it if it is not the latest one
  2. If you have previously set your BIOS, it would be best to do a CMOS reset by shorting the 2 pins on the front left corner of your motherboard. Please se instructions for complete details
  3. In the main screen middle left, set X.M.P. to Enabled
  4. Advanced Items > CPU Configuration > Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology > Enable - Absolutely required for Parallels
  5. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > Auto
  6. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled for DGPU, Disabled for IGPU
  7. Save and reboot to activate the RC6 and DVMT settings
  8. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Off - This settings disables a power saving feature that could potentially crash the system
  9. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable
  10. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128
  11. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Disabled
  12. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  13. Boot Menu > Boot Option 1 > UEFI USB installer drive (or whatever you named it, UEFI will be automatically prepended)
  14. Exit > Save Changes

There are few things you can tweak to eliminate ugly boot graphics and make BIOS menus easier to navigate:

15. Boot > Boot Configuration > Boot Logo Display > Disabled
  16. Boot > Boot Configuration > Post Report > 1 Sec
  17. Boot > Setup Mode > Advanced

Attachments

• EFI-3.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 132
Have tried booting with the -v boot flag so you can how far it gets? Hit the spacebar at the clover boot screen and scroll down to boot verbose, check the box and scroll back up. I think you may have the wrong memory driver or you can update it to the version in the attached. This is from the Everything Works Thread for the ASUS Z390 Rog Strix Gaming i. Very similar board and this is the DGPU version of the EFI folders for Catalina offered for download. Make sure you have secure boot disabled along with these recommendations for the i board.

1. Check the BIOS version and update it if it is not the latest one
  2. If you have previously set your BIOS, it would be best to do a CMOS reset by shorting the 2 pins on the front left corner of your motherboard. Please se instructions for complete details
  3. In the main screen middle left, set X.M.P. to Enabled
  4. Advanced Items > CPU Configuration > Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology > Enable - Absolutely required for Parallels
  5. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > Auto
  6. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled for DGPU, Disabled for IGPU
  7. Save and reboot to activate the RC6 and DVMT settings
  8. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Off - This settings disables a power saving feature that could potentially crash the system
  9. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable
  10. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128
  11. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Disabled
  12. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  13. Boot Menu > Boot Option 1 > UEFI USB installer drive (or whatever you named it, UEFI will be automatically prepended)
  14. Exit > Save Changes

There are few things you can tweak to eliminate ugly boot graphics and make BIOS menus easier to navigate:

15. Boot > Boot Configuration > Boot Logo Display > Disabled
  16. Boot > Boot Configuration > Post Report > 1 Sec
  17. Boot > Setup Mode > Advanced

Thank you so much!
This solved it!

I am pretty sure it was the RC6 bios setting that rebooted/crashed the system before the installer!

I used the EFI and configfiles with no issues. Reset The CMOS an used auggested BIOS settings and booted straight to Catalina installer first try!

Now up and running 10.15.2 with no issues! Thanks so much @Leesureone

That's great!

Hey anders1804,

I'm trying to install with your exact same setup. Have you tried updating to the latest Catalina and using only IGPU?
If so, could you share your working EFI?

Thanks!

Hey anders1804,

I'm trying to install with your exact same setup. Have you tried updating to the latest Catalina and using only IGPU?
If so, could you share your working EFI?

Thanks!
I’ve got an OpenCore 5.9 version that’s working on the “i” board using the iGPU if you are interested.

I’ve got an OpenCore 5.9 version that’s working on the “i” board using the iGPU if you are interested.

Yes absolutely, thank you.

I think the only difference with the F version is that it has more ports (and no wifi/bt), so I would need to find the right SSDT-USB config file or is it not needed since your EFI has USB port limit removal patch?

Yes absolutely, thank you.

I think the only difference with the F version is that it has more ports (and no wifi/bt), so I would need to find the right SSDT-USB config file or is it not needed since your EFI has USB port limit removal patch?
This is 5.8 but work and has a SSDT-UIAC.SSDT defining USB ports. Probably have to build your own but it should boot

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
This is 5.8 but work and has a SSDT-UIAC.SSDT defining USB ports. Probably have to build your own but it should boot
Awesome, with this OC EFI I managed to boot and complete the installation on my Z390-F, unlike with the Clover version posted here (EFI-3) which errored during installation. Thank you so much Leesureone

The only things so far that don't work OOB are:
- many USB ports (this because I still haven't used the proper SSDT for ports)
- HDMI display connected to the IGPU (could it be because I'm not using an SSDT not made for my specific mobo?)

Awesome, with this OC EFI I managed to boot and complete the installation on my Z390-F, unlike with the Clover version posted here (EFI-3) which errored during installation. Thank you so much Leesureone

The only things so far that don't work OOB are:
- many USB ports (this because I still haven't used the proper SSDT for ports)
- HDMI display connected to the IGPU (could it be because I'm not using an SSDT not made for my specific mobo?)
Do you have the option in the bios to turn on multimonitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back