Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After battling KP's and QE/CI problems with the Galaxy 8400gs for the last day, I am finally able to boot into a beautiful OS, but now, I can't open system preferences, unless I check open upon login. However, if I close out of system preferences once I reboot, I cannot reopen it.

I believe this is closely related to a problem with the ethernet setup, because Chrome will not open, and Safari stalls 1/2 way through loading the page. Every other program seems to work just fine. After installing Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx kext, the internet ran a few times, but would drop after 30 seconds or so. Now it won't connect at all. Network Diagnostics shows network status with Ethernet, Network Settings, ISP all as green, but Internet and Server as failed.

I installed multiple packages before I noticed this, but in order:
•Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx kext
•NVinject.kext / NVEnabler.kext / Natit.kext (for Galaxy 8400gs)

The onboard network technology is Realtek 8111C

My motherboard specs can be found at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 86671#N221

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm completely stuck, I absolutely have no idea where to go with this problem. If anyone could give advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance.

After battling KP's and QE/CI problems with the Galaxy 8400gs for the last day, I am finally able to boot into a beautiful OS, but now, I can't open system preferences, unless I check open upon login. However, if I close out of system preferences once I reboot, I cannot reopen it.

I believe this is closely related to a problem with the ethernet setup, because Chrome will not open, and Safari stalls 1/2 way through loading the page. Every other program seems to work just fine. After installing Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx kext, the internet ran a few times, but would drop after 30 seconds or so. Now it won't connect at all. Network Diagnostics shows network status with Ethernet, Network Settings, ISP all as green, but Internet and Server as failed.

I installed multiple packages before I noticed this, but in order:
•Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx kext
•NVinject.kext / NVEnabler.kext / Natit.kext (for Galaxy 8400gs)

The onboard network technology is Realtek 8111C

My motherboard specs can be found at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 86671#N221

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm completely stuck, I absolutely have no idea where to go with this problem. If anyone could give advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance.
I'm having the same problem. Can't open system preferences. I also have been battling KPs and have completely removed my ethernet drivers as a step in problem solving. Did you ever solve this?

It's possible the preferences file or cache files have gotten corrupted. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop. Then go to ~/Library/Caches and move these two files (if they exist) to the desktop: com.apple.preferencepanes.cache and com.apple.preferencepanes.searchindexcache. Then log out and log back in and try to open System Preferences again. If it opens, you can discard the files you moved to the desktop (replacements will be created automatically).

It's possible the preferences file or cache files have gotten corrupted. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop. Then go to ~/Library/Caches and move these two files (if they exist) to the desktop: com.apple.preferencepanes.cache and com.apple.preferencepanes.searchindexcache. Then log out and log back in and try to open System Preferences again. If it opens, you can discard the files you moved to the desktop (replacements will be created automatically).
Thank you! I got it back by messing with the ethernet drivers just as the OP was attempting. I had forgotten to rebuild cache after uninstalling appleIGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back