Contribute
Register

Can't Install on Precision 7530

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so it makes it to setup now, and I was able to get one of the Samsungs to accept APFS container and it's currently installing... however: the internal keyboard, touchpad, and mouse-nipple-thing don't work. I take it from a quick search that I need the VoodooI2C kext? Do I just put it in a certain folder or is there a procedure to get it used?

I do greatly appreciate the help, quite a bit friendlier than the last 'fake mac' site I was a member of, so thanks for the patience.

Okay so it makes it to setup now, and I was able to get one of the Samsungs to accept APFS container and it's currently installing... however: the internal keyboard, touchpad, and mouse-nipple-thing don't work. I take it from a quick search that I need the VoodooI2C kext? Do I just put it in a certain folder or is there a procedure to get it used?

I do greatly appreciate the help, quite a bit friendlier than the last 'fake mac' site I was a member of, so thanks for the patience.
VoodooPS2Controller.kext in clover/kexts/other will help with your keyboard and possible trackpad

for the installation, if VoodooPS2Controller.kext doesn't work for your trackpad, then use a usb mouse until you have installed macOS, your trackpad may be I2C

Okay maybe the Samsung wasn't the one to use even though it worked. It won't boot after initial setup anymore, it'll just restart. I'll run it verbose boot next time and see where it's breaking (if I can), but I should get some sleep. I'll add more to this when I go at it again.

Okay maybe the Samsung wasn't the one to use even though it worked. It won't boot after initial setup anymore, it'll just restart. I'll run it verbose boot next time and see where it's breaking (if I can), but I should get some sleep. I'll add more to this when I go at it again.
best to remove both the Samsung drives you have in there as they are not supported and will cause you issues

Attached is the EFI I have so far with my Precision 7740 running 10.14.6

You will probably want to use the Whatevergreen -igfxmlr boot option if you have a 4k panel. The P630 iGPU may need a device-id spoof to work as a UHD630.

The graphics mode being reset is fixed by _OSI hot patching to include the Windows identifiers. I also threw Linux-Dell-Video into there as the ACPI has a bunch of Linux specific paths that are taken when the dedicated GPU is disabled.

I swapped the stock wifi card with the DW1560 Broadcom chip.

The trackpad is I2C and needs GPIO pinning to not lag during use.

The Quadro card is disabled via hotpatch but you should still be able to use USB-C ports for video output if desired.

Definitely remove the PM981 SSD's. The firmware those drives use are not compatible with the MacOS NVMe drivers. A 970 Evo works great as a replacement. If those came with the machine you may be able to convince Dell to swap them with a different brand drive under warranty like a Toshiba XG6 or the Intel OEM one.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 179
Attached is the EFI I have so far with my Precision 7740 running 10.14.6

You will probably want to use the Whatevergreen -igfxmlr boot option if you have a 4k panel. The P630 iGPU may need a device-id spoof to work as a UHD630.

The graphics mode being reset is fixed by _OSI hot patching to include the Windows identifiers. I also threw Linux-Dell-Video into there as the ACPI has a bunch of Linux specific paths that are taken when the dedicated GPU is disabled.

I swapped the stock wifi card with the DW1560 Broadcom chip.

The trackpad is I2C and needs GPIO pinning to not lag during use.

The Quadro card is disabled via hotpatch but you should still be able to use USB-C ports for video output if desired.

Definitely remove the PM981 SSD's. The firmware those drives use are not compatible with the MacOS NVMe drivers. A 970 Evo works great as a replacement. If those came with the machine you may be able to convince Dell to swap them with a different brand drive under warranty like a Toshiba XG6 or the Intel OEM one.
Whoa, this is definitely some good material here. We're going to have nearly identical machines from this standpoint, aside from storage and WiFi by the sounds of it.

I don't think I'll be using anything but the built-in panel, though it would have been nice to be able to use the Quadro. My holy-grail goal is to be like "hey look, I have a non-Apple that wipes the floor with the Apple it was designed for". (I think it's cheating with my specs, but whatever)

I got this rig on a double-warranty-f***-up from a mid-level equipped 7510, don't think I'll have room to negotiate on drive type unless it properly fails, though I still do have ProSupport Plus, so ya never know.

Since it's been so long since I've tried any of this stuff, I'm a lottabit rusty; able to link me to some step-by-steps on what you're saying, add it in here, or DM me somewhere?

I have an old Latitude E6400 I might try this out on again since that's not my daily portable and probably has been cracked open a few times over, to try to get some of these skills back.

Hello fleaplus,
I used your clover folder, it work well. The only thing doesn't work is external monitor thought HDMI & USB Type-C. Did you resolved it ?
If yes, how can you make it ?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back