Contribute
Register

Cant get touchpad working on Vaio (SL 10.6.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I finally got my SL DVD in the mail today :),

I tried the Iboot/Multibeast guide, everything seems to boot up until I get to the install screen, I have to use the Tab+arrow+spacebar keys to navigate because the touchpad seems to not respond, I have a logitech wireless mouse (Usb) that i'm trying to see if it'll work but no dice :/.

Sony Vaio VPCEB32FM
CPU: Intel Pentium P6100 @2.0GHz // 4096MB RAM
Screen: 1366x768 //15.5” LED display (Nothing special)
HDD: Stock 320GB HDD (5400rpm) *Hitachi, Currently theres a 80Gb Hitachi with Ubuntu (Latest build)
Graphics:Not 100% sure, i've looked and can only deduce its an Intel Based basic GPU
Network: B/G/N wifi, Atheros AR9285
Sound: Seems to be a Realtek ALC269

If i can just get it setup and get the touchpad working i'm sure the rest shouldn't be impossible to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 280
Progress so far :).

I am delighted that I now have retail 10.6.3 installed, and even more delighted that i have sound thats awesome, and something I was having difficulty with.

-I used an old distro in which the touchpad worked and then erased and formatted the HDD.
-Used Iboot+SL DVD,
-Used combination of Tab, Spacebar, Enter, and arrow keys to navigate through the install

I noticed that you need to use Iboot each time to boot into OSX but thats fine,

SO, i will continue to try to solve the mouse/touchpad issue. I'm going to try to use Multibeast or try another distro dvd to install the driver.. I'd love to hear feedback/suggestions/tips/advice and don't mind answering any questions il do my best to answer them. I will post my progress in the time being, and hopefully find the needed kexts to make my Laptop work well and also post those results,

Thanks for reading,

-Snow

SO i'm trying to get the multibeast files onto the hdd but using a cd/dvd doesnt seem to work, so i'm trying to use Ubuntu to copy the MB files onto my desktop, however, OS X is saying everything is read only, I really don't want to mess anything up if i don't have to (with permissions etc.), does anyone know a trick around the whole read/write issue?

I'm hoping once multibeast is installed i can atleast install the touchpad kext?

Edit: Though its not really easy to navigate with the keyboard, I was able to load multibeast, however, even after trying to install the proper files touchpad/wireless mouse=NO dice :oops:'

does anyone have a solution to fix it? its a major problem, I could prob eventually get everything else up and running with time, but not being able to dictate the system simply is frustrating :(.

:headbang: Progress!!!!

:mrgreen:

By using the bootcommand USBBusFix=Yes the wireless mouse as well as USB perephirals are now working, however it seems i need to do that each time I reboot, so I will one day hopefully not need to with a good kext or modification. For anyone who is stuck without even a USB mouse, I recommend using the F2/Ctrl/Alt/(windows logo button)/Tab and spacebar to navigate.

Wifi: (I seriously was shocked i got it working), By using this + Kext

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1279

My card apparently a Atheros AR9285 (B/G/N) fully functioning.

I'm going to post my progress as i hopefully get it completely working.

10.6.3 (Retail) + Iboot
So far: Audio In/Out/ & Mic/In/Out, USB, Wireless
Edit: Just tested webcam, which is working now :)

X: Touchpad, Battery, cant reboot without Iboot yet (Have tried Multibeast no luck :/)

Right now i am extremely happy with the progress. :wave:

hello...

you might wanna check out my thread Toshiba Satellite i7... and also StarbuckSteve Post regarding his method which i have hot linked in my posts... works great... less kp's, overall faster operation... make a mistake, no problem, restore from other partition...

the one great thing about the way he does the patch upgrades is it is done to a clone copy on another hard drive, so not so many hickups or kp's if any...

check it out... :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24658

ahkbar said:
hello...

you might wanna check out my thread Toshiba Satellite i7... and also StarbuckSteve Post regarding his method which i have hot linked in my posts... works great... less kp's, overall faster operation... make a mistake, no problem, restore from other partition...

the one great thing about the way he does the patch upgrades is it is done to a clone copy on another hard drive, so not so many hickups or kp's if any...

check it out... :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24658

I will be sure to try that one day, thank you. :thumbup:

It would have helped if you had posted what type of trackpad you have. I was able to determine that you have an alps ps2 trackpad. You can try downloading these kexts/prefpane and they should work for you:

http://www.kexts.com/view/1107-two-fing ... -1720.html

Good luck.

Thank you for your post,
I looked everywhere I could but could not figure out what kind of trackpad it was, using other forums + Sony's tech specifications + google i still couldn't figure it out. Thank you for the reply and tip though, I did a completely new install of 10.6.3 and used kexthelper B7 to try and install those kexts you linked, however it would seem they do not work :/. Any advice as to what to try?

Update: I tried placing the kexts in S/L/E manually, as well as pref. in its correct place and restart but still no touchpad :/.

Also: I tried several times to do a combo update to 10.6.8 + Multibeast but i keep getting Kp's. This isn't really a big issue for me because 10.6.3 is fine for now.

~Snow said:
Thank you for your post,
I looked everywhere I could but could not figure out what kind of trackpad it was, using other forums + Sony's tech specifications + google i still couldn't figure it out. Thank you for the reply and tip though, I did a completely new install of 10.6.3 and used kexthelper B7 to try and install those kexts you linked, however it would seem they do not work :/. Any advice as to what to try?

Update: I tried placing the kexts in S/L/E manually, as well as pref. in its correct place and restart but still no touchpad :/.

Also: I tried several times to do a combo update to 10.6.8 + Multibeast but i keep getting Kp's. This isn't really a big issue for me because 10.6.3 is fine for now.

Kexthelper doesn't work in Snow Leopard. Use kext utility or kext wizard.

Alright I will try it and post back once i do, thank you.

~Snow said:

Kexthelper doesn't work in Snow Leopard. Use kext utility or kext wizard.

Update: well i tried using several kext utilities as well as installing manually but no luck with the touchpad,

I have had luck in getting the Battery up and working though using this kext

https://rs767tg.rapidshare.com/#!downlo ... 908FFD1941

Basically all thats left is the touchpad, making it so you don't need iboot which i still cant solve, maybe a graphics fix to get native graphics? A fix for "About this mac" crashing once opened, and possibly updating.

Sound, USB,Battery,Wifi. all work now :)

any updates?

I seem to have the same problem on the install screen... mouse pad stopped working. I will try your tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back