Contribute
Register

Cant get touchpad working on Vaio (SL 10.6.3)

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So I finally got my SL DVD in the mail today :),

I tried the Iboot/Multibeast guide, everything seems to boot up until I get to the install screen, I have to use the Tab+arrow+spacebar keys to navigate because the touchpad seems to not respond, I have a logitech wireless mouse (Usb) that i'm trying to see if it'll work but no dice :/.

Sony Vaio VPCEB32FM
CPU: Intel Pentium P6100 @2.0GHz // 4096MB RAM
Screen: 1366x768 //15.5” LED display (Nothing special)
HDD: Stock 320GB HDD (5400rpm) *Hitachi, Currently theres a 80Gb Hitachi with Ubuntu (Latest build)
Graphics:Not 100% sure, i've looked and can only deduce its an Intel Based basic GPU
Network: B/G/N wifi, Atheros AR9285
Sound: Seems to be a Realtek ALC269

If i can just get it setup and get the touchpad working i'm sure the rest shouldn't be impossible to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 248
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Progress so far :).

I am delighted that I now have retail 10.6.3 installed, and even more delighted that i have sound thats awesome, and something I was having difficulty with.

-I used an old distro in which the touchpad worked and then erased and formatted the HDD.
-Used Iboot+SL DVD,
-Used combination of Tab, Spacebar, Enter, and arrow keys to navigate through the install

I noticed that you need to use Iboot each time to boot into OSX but thats fine,

SO, i will continue to try to solve the mouse/touchpad issue. I'm going to try to use Multibeast or try another distro dvd to install the driver.. I'd love to hear feedback/suggestions/tips/advice and don't mind answering any questions il do my best to answer them. I will post my progress in the time being, and hopefully find the needed kexts to make my Laptop work well and also post those results,

Thanks for reading,

-Snow

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
SO i'm trying to get the multibeast files onto the hdd but using a cd/dvd doesnt seem to work, so i'm trying to use Ubuntu to copy the MB files onto my desktop, however, OS X is saying everything is read only, I really don't want to mess anything up if i don't have to (with permissions etc.), does anyone know a trick around the whole read/write issue?

I'm hoping once multibeast is installed i can atleast install the touchpad kext?

Edit: Though its not really easy to navigate with the keyboard, I was able to load multibeast, however, even after trying to install the proper files touchpad/wireless mouse=NO dice :oops:'

does anyone have a solution to fix it? its a major problem, I could prob eventually get everything else up and running with time, but not being able to dictate the system simply is frustrating :(.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
:headbang: Progress!!!!

:mrgreen:

By using the bootcommand USBBusFix=Yes the wireless mouse as well as USB perephirals are now working, however it seems i need to do that each time I reboot, so I will one day hopefully not need to with a good kext or modification. For anyone who is stuck without even a USB mouse, I recommend using the F2/Ctrl/Alt/(windows logo button)/Tab and spacebar to navigate.

Wifi: (I seriously was shocked i got it working), By using this + Kext

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1279

My card apparently a Atheros AR9285 (B/G/N) fully functioning.

I'm going to post my progress as i hopefully get it completely working.

10.6.3 (Retail) + Iboot
So far: Audio In/Out/ & Mic/In/Out, USB, Wireless
Edit: Just tested webcam, which is working now :)

X: Touchpad, Battery, cant reboot without Iboot yet (Have tried Multibeast no luck :/)

Right now i am extremely happy with the progress. :wave:

Motherboard
Laptops
CPU
2.2GHz 2nd Gen, 2.4GHz 3rd Gen, 2.6 3rd Gen ivy bridge 3rd gen
Graphics
nvidia 1GB, intel HD3000, HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
hello...

you might wanna check out my thread Toshiba Satellite i7... and also StarbuckSteve Post regarding his method which i have hot linked in my posts... works great... less kp's, overall faster operation... make a mistake, no problem, restore from other partition...

the one great thing about the way he does the patch upgrades is it is done to a clone copy on another hard drive, so not so many hickups or kp's if any...

check it out... :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24658

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
ahkbar said:
hello...

you might wanna check out my thread Toshiba Satellite i7... and also StarbuckSteve Post regarding his method which i have hot linked in my posts... works great... less kp's, overall faster operation... make a mistake, no problem, restore from other partition...

the one great thing about the way he does the patch upgrades is it is done to a clone copy on another hard drive, so not so many hickups or kp's if any...

check it out... :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24658

I will be sure to try that one day, thank you. :thumbup:

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
It would have helped if you had posted what type of trackpad you have. I was able to determine that you have an alps ps2 trackpad. You can try downloading these kexts/prefpane and they should work for you:

http://www.kexts.com/view/1107-two-fing ... -1720.html

Good luck.

Thank you for your post,
I looked everywhere I could but could not figure out what kind of trackpad it was, using other forums + Sony's tech specifications + google i still couldn't figure it out. Thank you for the reply and tip though, I did a completely new install of 10.6.3 and used kexthelper B7 to try and install those kexts you linked, however it would seem they do not work :/. Any advice as to what to try?

Update: I tried placing the kexts in S/L/E manually, as well as pref. in its correct place and restart but still no touchpad :/.

Also: I tried several times to do a combo update to 10.6.8 + Multibeast but i keep getting Kp's. This isn't really a big issue for me because 10.6.3 is fine for now.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
~Snow said:
Thank you for your post,
I looked everywhere I could but could not figure out what kind of trackpad it was, using other forums + Sony's tech specifications + google i still couldn't figure it out. Thank you for the reply and tip though, I did a completely new install of 10.6.3 and used kexthelper B7 to try and install those kexts you linked, however it would seem they do not work :/. Any advice as to what to try?

Update: I tried placing the kexts in S/L/E manually, as well as pref. in its correct place and restart but still no touchpad :/.

Also: I tried several times to do a combo update to 10.6.8 + Multibeast but i keep getting Kp's. This isn't really a big issue for me because 10.6.3 is fine for now.

Kexthelper doesn't work in Snow Leopard. Use kext utility or kext wizard.

Alright I will try it and post back once i do, thank you.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
~Snow said:

Kexthelper doesn't work in Snow Leopard. Use kext utility or kext wizard.

Update: well i tried using several kext utilities as well as installing manually but no luck with the touchpad,

I have had luck in getting the Battery up and working though using this kext

https://rs767tg.rapidshare.com/#!downlo ... 908FFD1941

Basically all thats left is the touchpad, making it so you don't need iboot which i still cant solve, maybe a graphics fix to get native graphics? A fix for "About this mac" crashing once opened, and possibly updating.

Sound, USB,Battery,Wifi. all work now :)

Motherboard
CPU
i3-530 2.93ghz
Graphics
Geforce 210 512mb
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
any updates?

I seem to have the same problem on the install screen... mouse pad stopped working. I will try your tips.