Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Following the tonymacx86 guide, I'm stuck on Step 4,4. I've been stuck here for 6 hours.

After the first few failures, I updated my Bios. I tried using different monitors. Tried sticking the USB drive in various ports, settling on a 2.0 one. Then, reading through the forums, I've tried a mind numbing variety of boot flag options. I only sort of understand what that's all about. Kinda like sacrificing a chicken and playing in its blood. What does -f mean? Combos include:

-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000
-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000
-v npci=0x2000 cpus=1
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000

Results: Usually, my monitor(s) turn off.

Sometimes, when the screen stays on, I watch the apple screen for awhile before it suddenly turns grey and nothing happens.

Occasionally, I get the apple screen with a little box overlaid and the circle-backslash prohibition sign such as the ghostbusters use.

In all of those cases, the verbosity isn't helping me. There's no, like, syntax error with a code number, just a godawful amount of gobbledy gook followed by nothing at all. I filmed it once. I'm gonna show it to my friends next time they make me watch youtube videos of their baby.

Now, I just read that Chimera in Mavericks might make Time Machine explode, and I'm having second thoughts about why the hell I'm even doing this...

Things I thought of trying:
Maybe my install usb stick got corrupted? Wipe it and try again?
I didn't checkmark Legacy USB Support because I use a Socket LGA 1155 motherboard. Maybe checkmark it anyway?
Spend a bunch of money on an HDMI monitor?
Insure my system, then set fire to it?
Kill myself?

System 10.8.5
CPU i7-3770k
GraphicsEVGA GeForce GTX580 1536 MB
Other Hardware: Gigabyte mobo- GA-Z77X-UP5TH, Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD, Corsair 550D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was having similar issues as pisomajado.
I used -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 and gave me a gray screen which i then slung my head in defeat.
All of a sudden the Mavericks install screen popped up and im currently installing OS X now.
I am using an HDMI connection to my monitor.

Hi Defbref,

If VGA is not supported in OSX, then how am I using two VGA monitors right now? I'm on 10.8.5 right now. This is an upgrade, not a fresh install. Anyways, I'll try to hunt down a dvi cable and try that.

Hey Skandtbs,

Thanks, I'll try your code and let it sit for a few minutes.

VGA is not supported in OSX, some people do find for certain motherboards that it does still work, but there is no guarantee and as you appear to have found a upgrade in OSX can wipe it out.

Ok,

I connected a Samsung SyncMaster 2333 monitor. I connected dvi to the mini-hdmi port on my gpu. I tried with and without using the code "-v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1". I got the same result each time: the computer worked for a minute or two and then the monitor turned off. I never got to the grey screen, much less the installer.

I started daydreaming about a safer alternative to russian roulette; instead of using a revolver and one bullet at a time, using a taser and only one battery at a time.

--PisoMojado

Does anyone have any updates here? I seem to be having the same issues....

SOLVED

Spent five hours on this today. Knock on wood, everything seems to be working so far. For the benefit of anyone else going through this, here's what I did:

First, I securely erased the usb thumb drive and redid the installer with Unibeast. Then, I made sure to boot from a USB 2 port. I connected a Samsung SyncMaster 2333 monitor via dvi to the mini-hdmi port on my gpu. I used the code "-v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1". This time, the screen went white then grey, and after a few minutes the installer screen popped up. The install went ok up until the Multibeast part when I had a few snafus and restarts having again to do with my confusion over which Multibeast settings to use. For what it's worth, here's what seems to be working [CAVEAT- I don't have any depth of understanding about any of this. I cobbled it together from old settings gleaned from How-To's, some trial and error, and luck.]:

MultiBeast Configuration - 2014-03-22 04:24:01-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC898
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > HDAEnabler
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA

Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.x TRIM Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.0.1123
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.0.1123 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.0.1123 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4

Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

The great news is that I was able to plug my vga monitors back in and they still work! #!@$ YOU OSX!!

P.S. *DON'T try any of this if there's a full moon, nor if any of the women under your roof are menstruating.*

UPDATE: Anyone with my same Gigabyte mobo set-up who tries to upgrade to 10.9.2 using MB 6.2.1 will have a bug. When you wake your Hackintosh from sleep, you will have no audio. Apparently, this is a common problem. After combing through the forum, here is how I solved it:

1. Create a bootable back-up in case of a Kernel Panic

2. Download MultiBeast 6.1.0 from the "MultiBeast Archive", located in the Downloads section.

3. Ignore the Quick Start panel- the presets there will overwrite a bunch of your MB 6.2 kexts/drivers. Just go straight to the Drivers tab and select Realtek ALCxxx/Without DSDT/ALC898. HDA Enabler will automatically be selected as well, and that's fine. Click "Build"

4. Repair permissions. If you don't, you are at high risk of kernel panic.

5. Restart and test. Audio should be fully functional and the problem solved.

Does this work with other kexts such as 892 or 889? I think I've read about other people having luck with it, but I can't swear to it due to the fact that, as I mentioned, I have no understanding of what I'm writing about. Cross your fingers; that's what I do.

UPDATE #2:
I had one other bug. Perhaps because I'm still using vga monitors, my Hackintosh wouldn't wake from deep sleep. It'd wake up if it'd only been asleep for a little while, but if it had been a few hours, here's what happened: the led around the powerbutton came on, but the monitors stayed dark.

I was advised to "add <string>darkwake=0</string> to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist"
I was scared to edit the org.chameleon.plist, so I found an app called "chameleon wizard" which did the trick. I hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back