Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Noob here, first time on forums. Bought a used working hack for a home-video editing machine. Runs great love it.

OSX 10.8.2 (installed using multibeast)
GA-EX58-UD
2.83 Intel Core i7
GeForce 9800 GTX + 512
24 gb ram

I want to put OS & apps on an SSD (2.5 OWC 240 mercury electra 3g) startup disk. Cloned existing HHD startup drive using CCC, tested the boot via System Prefs> startup disk> select SSD>restart. Starts up fine. BUT. It is not actually "seeing" the SSD as the startup, or so I think. The "About this Mac" continually shows the old HDD as the startup disc no matter which disk I select in prefs, and there is zero speed increase in booting, in starting new programs. No real change except the finder recognizes the SSD as startup in that I can't eject the SSD disk image when it's booted up from the SSD. And no matter which disk I select as startup, I can't remove/eject the existing HDD startup image from the desktop.

I tried adding a new admin user, etc., and have only succeeded in unwittingly deleting my user profile. All data is safe. Right now I have a working HDD running 10.2.8 and apps, all data saved on externals, a new 3tb seagate drive, and the SSD. One thing to note is that when I cloned the drive, all the SSD folders appear as regular folders and not as the Icon-ized App, Lib, Sys, and Users folders seen on the current HDD start disk.

Currently I've got an 8gb thumb drive ready to load multibeast and the newest 10.8.3 OSX, unsure how (or if) to proceed.
Do I:
A) keep fussing with existing system install (10.2.8) till I figure out a way to start up from new SSD?
B) forget the existing system, do a new install from thumbdrive per instructions, then re: link new user to backed-up libraries? Does this screw in some way with my mac serial number, which I have no idea from where it originated?

The whole reason I wanted to avoid installing a new system from scratch was because everything worked fine. Now since I've lost my existing user profile, seems like fresh install is the way to go. But I dont' find much tutoring for re-installing 10.8.3 on top of working 10.8.2, and nothing about inability of system to recognize new SSD as startup.
If I simply insert the thumb drive and do a new install, will I continue to have the same problems getting the SSD in place as startup?

Any help is most appreciated.

Install Chimera to the SSD.
Boot to BIOS and make SSD first drive in HDD boot order.
Save&exit and continue boot.

You are now booting from the SSD and can eject the HDD with no problems.

OK. In order:

Installed Chimera onto SSD.
Restarted, with default HHD as startup disk.
F12 booted into "boot Menu", == Select a Boot First device == but the menu is unresponsive: couldn't select any drive or even move the cursor using arrows, which worked just moments ago. Can't even escape. Powered off the machine.

Restarted, booted up as normal, selected SSD as startup disk in "System Prefs", then hit "restart":

BINGO!

Let the improved speed begin!

Many thanks, to you GB and to Chimera. (I think I met her once in New Orleans. She still seeing that boat captain?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back