Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I plugged the card into a PCI-E slot, booted up, tried 400 and 800 ports and nothing mounts but drives light up and feel like their disks are spinning.

In short, here are my (relevant?) specs:

CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150
Case Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1

Here is the card I am attempting to install:

Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

What I can see:

System Information shows
Firewire.jpg

From the Console:

On Boot Up:
kernel[0]: FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (3)
kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 823f PCI now active, GUID 7856341200000117; max speed s800.

When I Plug in Firewire 400 drive:
com.apple.kextd[12]: kext com.wdc.driver.IOFireWireWDHID 101029000 is in exception list, allowing to load
com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireWDHID.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.wdc.driver.IOFireWireWDHID failed; removing personalities from kernel.

When I Plug in Firewire 800 drive (either port):
Nothing happens except the drive lights up and feels like the disk is spinning.

What my lizard brain thinks:

Um, so, the kext maybe do not work in my case?

I have looked at a lot of other posts and I can't figure out how to get this to work. I will say that the install was made without the card in if that matters (have been running on this install for a couple of months, just got the card this week). I'm thinking of trying a clean install on a drive I might have lying around but it would be great if there was a way to get this to work without doing that.

Any suggestions and solutions would be greatly appreciated. :)

I was hoping the notes from the console would be useful but I can't find any leads as to what they could mean (again, I'm pretty new to all this).

The only good news is that I tried out my Ubuntu usb stick and I can confirm that both FireWire 800 and Firewire 400 drives will connect and I can access them via Ubuntu. So at least the card works.

But I don't know how to get it to work with my OSX.

I'm thinking my next attempt will be a clean install disk. After, that, maybe a kext file or DSDT, but I have never messed with those before.

I have the same issue. Did you ever have any luck?
You know you are posting in a thread from 2014?
Also user wishful was last seen Dec 8, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back