Contribute
Register

Can't Get Past the +++++++++++++ After Installer Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I did get past that. I had to install from a SATA drive rather than a USB drive. Now I'm just having the same issue I had with HS where the AMD Vega only activates the HDMI port.

There's a fix for HS, but it's not working in Mojave.

Maybe check your clover boot menu in Options/CPU Tuning for halt enabler and Pstates uncheck or = false.

Basically, the prelinked kernel-kernel is not loading. Hit space bar and choose verbose and single user.
Type “fsck -fy” at first root# and then “exit” at root# if you get there minus the “” marks.

Now I'm just having the same issue I had with HS where the AMD Vega only activates the HDMI port.

There's a fix for HS, but it's not working in Mojave.

I have the MSI Vega 56 Air boost and I get one DP one HDMI without any fixes or extra files like whatevergreen. Did you try all the DP only the one next to the HDMI works for me.

Yep. Just need to use lilu and whatevergreen kexts with the -raddvi parameter in Clover boot options.

Last edited:
ISSUE: I can't reach the installer, prohibited symbol shows up. Debug message `still waiting root device`.

Tried many common boot flags already. -v and kextdebug (something like that) dumped some useful info: "Still waiting for root device" (something like that) is the last message I see after the hang. It also prints: "scheduling to unload unused kexts in 60 seconds", then, about 55s later, it shows the prohibited symbol.

I'll be trying the fixes you guys mentioned.
- Just need to use lilu and whatevergreen kexts with the -raddvi
- Clover in UEFI with Drivers64UEFI bellow

FIX:

TL;DR: Use partitions on a hard drive and not a USB flash drive for the install medium.

Assuming you've got your USB flash drive:
Grab a spare hard drive.
Make a 300mb partition and format as `vfat`.
Make another 9GB partition, format as `hfsplus`
Use a tool (linux tooling, probably) to mark the 300mb partition as an ESP (EFI System Partition).
Mount it. (`diskutil list` to see the identifier, `diskutil mount <diskIdentifier>` to mount).
Plug your USB flash drive.
Mount its ESP too.
Copy over EFI folder from USB to the 300mb partition.
The hard drive ESP now has clover installed.
Use `diskutil list` to find the disk identifier of the 9GB partition.
Following the guide, do step 2, substep 12 but change the `--volume=` part to the 9GB partition identifier.
Now your hard drive has the Mojave install files.
Reboot computer, boot from spare hard drive ESP.
Proceed normally.

I used linux's `fdisk` and `mkfs.vfat` `mkfs.hfsplus` to get it done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back