Contribute
Register

Can't get graphics to work Kaby Lake 620 with WhateverGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mpckid Thanks so much for all support! In the end I fought with it for 4 days straight, and it didn't look like the end of the nightmare was in sight hahaha.

I decided to just use High Sierra for now, graphics are working there with the old graphic hacks. The only reason I wanted Mojave was to run the latest Xcode on a more portable device instead of always lugging my 15" MacBook around. In the end I was able to run the latest Xcode on High Sierra, so have no urgent need for Mojave right now.

Maybe next week I'll try to upgrade to Mojave again and see where I get to, for now I have to spend the coming days doing coding I actually get paid for ;). I don't want to mark this thread solved though, will come back to it in due course. Thanks again!

Take this configuration againhttps://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist

Try with boot arg lilucpu=7 instead of 9 and Inject Intel as true.
Set Inject ATI and Nvidia as false.

This should at least allow you to enter the OS to run Hackintool and/or make configuration changes as needed.

Read the guide on how to use Hackintool for graphics.
Take a look at what hot patches you're applying on Clover and see if they are valid.
I think you will need a few of them if not all. I'd try one by one and see.
You can adjust your config.plist on the fly during the boot loader Clover options.
Go to the corresponding menus to enable/disable SSDT hot patches on the fly.

Read this all over again -

Read IMPORTANT and Prerequisite section here -

Try this hot patch, I had to spoof my Kaby Lake HD620 to Skylake (that's why I have the 0x19160000)
You'll need to compile that into an AML using MaciASL (RehabMan's version) and place into Clover/ACPI/patched folder.

Keep on going you're almost at the end of this nightmare.

Ok back at trying to get Mojave working. Rehabman's config never boots for me, not with lilucpu 7 nor 9, regardless of intel injection or not. But I can boot into MacOS using my own config without any graphic entries to use Hackintool. But I don't understand what you expect me to do in Hackintool? All Hackintool ever gave me were the AAPL,ig-platform-id and Framebuffer device properties we already tried in both my own and your config. What other specific action would I use Hackintool for at this stage of troubleshooting?

I didn't apply any hotpatches initially and have read and followed the guide many times. It's not clear to me what else I should try from the guide. I tried spoofing Skylake, but that gives me a panic. Why did you need to spoof Skylake? Does your system also freeze at gIOScreenLockState 3 without that? What other SSDT hotpatches did you use on top of SSDT-SKLSPF? Could you share your entire EFI Folder?

I also tried SSDT-IGPU, but that doesn't make any difference, system still freezes at gIOScreenLockState 3. It is not fully clear to me how the hotpatches should be used if I'm honest, I just edited SSDT-RMCF.dsl to set the fact that I have a QHD resolution, and then saved SSDT-RMCF, SSDT-RMDT and SSDT-IGPU as binary aml files and put them in the ACPI/patched folder. Doesn't seem to be doing anything. I then removed all the files from ACPI/patched and then I just saved SSDT-SKLSPF as AML and added it to ACPI/patched. I then reused the config you shared with me earlier that listed your device id as 0x19160000. This then caused a panic again, like it did before. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do? The other hot patches don't appear related to graphics, not really sure what else to try. I've attached my fully working High Sierra EFI, isn't there any hint in there that would explain what my system needs to work in Mojave?

Attachments

• WorkingHighSierraEFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 152
Added the latest debug, I can't believe I'm the only person that had a perfectly working HS that is impossible to upgrade to Mojave??

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-07-22-00h14m45s125.png
    vlcsnap-2019-07-22-00h14m45s125.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • debug_mojave.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 120
Start with a clean install of Mojave and use this config.plist to boot from.

You'll need the latest of the following kexts in kext/Others -
FakeSMC
Lilu
WhateverGreen
VoodooPS2Controller
USBInjectAll
(Maybe SATA-unsupported.kext)

After the install is complete and you're in macOS Mojave, you will need to start debugging to get your graphics to work.
I would immediately generate a full SMBios of MacbookPro14,1 followed by attempting fix your graphics.
I would suggest having two copies of config.plist, one that will boot without fail and one which you are attempting to try.
That's where I suggest using the APPL,ig-platform-id spoof as needed, which can be generated through Hackintool.
Don't try to tinker with anything else except for the graphics only, I don't think there is any Clover hotpatches needed to make it work.

Start with a clean install of Mojave and use this config.plist to boot from.

You'll need the latest of the following kexts in kext/Others -
FakeSMC
Lilu
WhateverGreen
VoodooPS2Controller
USBInjectAll
(Maybe SATA-unsupported.kext)

After the install is complete and you're in macOS Mojave, you will need to start debugging to get your graphics to work.
I would immediately generate a full SMBios of MacbookPro14,1 followed by attempting fix your graphics.
I would suggest having two copies of config.plist, one that will boot without fail and one which you are attempting to try.
That's where I suggest using the APPL,ig-platform-id spoof as needed, which can be generated through Hackintool.
Don't try to tinker with anything else except for the graphics only, I don't think there is any Clover hotpatches needed to make it work.

Done. Same result.

1.Rehabmans configs don't work for me. The spoof version still freezes at gIOScreenLockState 3. If I comment out all the device properties in it it does boot the USB installer, but after the initial installer has copied all the files over and MacOS wants to start for the first time, I get a panic. Added screenshot.
2. The only config that consistently works for me is the one attached. This one came from a UniBeast installer and always works to boot, but obviously graphics don't work with it. I always used this one to install MacOS and Run Hackintool or what not. For this last fresh install I had to use it again to be able to boot MacOS for the first time since Rehabmans config didn't allow me to complete install.
3. Once MacOS was installed, I added SMBIOS, installed the kexts to L/E and added Device Properties to see if graphics would work. If I only add APPL,ig-platform-id in device properties and nothing else I get a panic. I suspect that this is because I can't change my DVMT size in my bios. I don't know what my default size is, but I suspect it's not enough and that's why I get the panic.
4. If I add framebuffer-fbmem, framebuffer-patch-enable, framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-unifiedmem I'm back at being stuck at gioScreenLockState 3 without a panic.

Did you ever look at the working HS EFI I posted? There has to be something in there that is just not being replicated using WhateverGreen instead of the old hacks. I'm pretty sure the solution to my problem is something different from the default Rehabman/WEG config, there has to be some specific custom setting that we haven't tried before. I really don't think I made some sort of silly rookie mistake, my device just requires something different. The question is what that is.

Can anyone propose a specific setting/patch different from the default Rehabman configs that may get me past gIOScreenlockState 3? Ideally based on analysis of the working High Sierra EFI?

Attachments

• panic_with_just_platform_id.png
    panic_with_just_platform_id.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
  • panic_first_boot_rehabmans_spoof.png
    panic_first_boot_rehabmans_spoof.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • debug_fresh_install.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
  • basic_config_that_always_works_config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 150
  • WorkingHighSierraEFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 113
Done. Same result.

1.Rehabmans configs don't work for me. The spoof version still freezes at gIOScreenLockState 3. If I comment out all the device properties in it it does boot the USB installer, but after the initial installer has copied all the files over and MacOS wants to start for the first time, I get a panic. Added screenshot.
2. The only config that consistently works for me is the one attached. This one came from a UniBeast installer and always works to boot, but obviously graphics don't work with it. I always used this one to install MacOS and Run Hackintool or what not. For this last fresh install I had to use it again to be able to boot MacOS for the first time since Rehabmans config didn't allow me to complete install.
3. Once MacOS was installed, I added SMBIOS, installed the kexts to L/E and added Device Properties to see if graphics would work. If I only add APPL,ig-platform-id in device properties and nothing else I get a panic. I suspect that this is because I can't change my DVMT size in my bios. I don't know what my default size is, but I suspect it's not enough and that's why I get the panic.
4. If I add framebuffer-fbmem, framebuffer-patch-enable, framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-unifiedmem I'm back at being stuck at gioScreenLockState 3 without a panic.

Did you ever look at the working HS EFI I posted? There has to be something in there that is just not being replicated using WhateverGreen instead of the old hacks. I'm pretty sure the solution to my problem is something different from the default Rehabman/WEG config, there has to be some specific custom setting that we haven't tried before. I really don't think I made some sort of silly rookie mistake, my device just requires something different. The question is what that is.

Can anyone propose a specific setting/patch different from the default Rehabman configs that may get me past gIOScreenlockState 3? Ideally based on analysis of the working High Sierra EFI?
Read this section - Problems with Kaby Lake Graphics
You may need a patched EDID for your graphics to work. I'm not sure what else to try on your end.

@mpckid thanks, but that link doesn't tell me anything new. I tried injecting EDID as per High Sierra config, same result. Looks like the end of the road then. I very much appreciate you trying to help though.

@RehabMan do you have any ideas of what I can try? Stuck at gIOScreenLockState 3 with your 620 config in Mojave. PR attached.

Attachments

• debug_rehabman.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
@mpckid thanks, but that link doesn't tell me anything new. I tried injecting EDID as per High Sierra config, same result. Looks like the end of the road then. I very much appreciate you trying to help though.

@RehabMan do you have any ideas of what I can try? Stuck at gIOScreenLockState 3 with your 620 config in Mojave. PR attached.
Rehabman has been MIA for quite some time now.
I'll take a look at your debug and get back to you tomorrow.

Hey buddy.
Are you using Miix720 with I5 7200U?

I’m facing the same issue, with Mojave and Catalina.
With Mojave, I use FB KextsToPatch to accelerate my HD620. But that’s not OK with Catalina.
You can try KextsToPatch. And 59168086/59160000.

I completely gave up on Catalina, was able to install it but failed to boot the OS. I could have had a better luck with Mojave coz I had the pleasure to boot with acceleration despite the glitches. I'm running hd 620 from Asus X542UQ laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back