Contribute
Register

Can't get both 4k60hz and hdmi audio work on nuc7i5bnh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
nuc7i5bnh
CPU
i5 7260U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After installing Catalina on my Nuc7, HDMI audio doesn't work, so I need to specify IGPU and fake sound card ID, but if I do so I will lose my 4K60Hz. What should I do?
4k30hz.png
4k60hz.png

I do not need to specify the igpu model or device-id to use 4k60hz, but if I specify iris plus 640, which is the model I currently using, it will be limited to 4k30hz. please help me.

This may be a limitation of the NUC's HDMI port, although saying that is says it is 'HDMI 2.0a' so it should be able to provide the 4K @ 60Hz resolution without issues. The NUC's specification page is a little short on resolution limits - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95067/intel-nuc-kit-nuc7i5bnh.html

It could be an issue with AppleALC.kext &/or WhateverGreen.kext. I assume you are using the most recent releases of the two kexts and Lilu.kext.

Have you tried using this resolution and HDMI audio with a Linux live distro or with Windows to see if it is a limitation of the NUC?

Have you tried using the USB-Type C (DisplayPort 1.2) connector instead of the HDMI, you may need an adapter if your display only has a HDMI connection. It should provide 4K resolution and audio but whether it can do so at 60Hz is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back