HD630
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can't Get Beyond Startup Screen!

On startup everything goes fine until the Apple startup screen appears. Then progress stops. All I see at that point is a white screen with a grey Apple logo with a progress bar below it (see attached image). The progress bar is idle.

My system is the one indicated in my profile. GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo w/ core i3 processor. I did a clean install w/UniBeast and then used MultiBeast (Yosemite edition) using the easybeast method.

Attachments

• yosemite_screen1.jpg
    yosemite_screen1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 158
So, I partitioned the boot drive again and did a clean install from the unibeast usb drive again. Then I ran MultiBeast again, but this time, I used the DSDT method with the correct DSDT file for my board. This customac is still hanging up in the Yosemite startup screen.The progress bar appears, but nothing happens (it remains empty/inactive).

One improvement has occurred though. The new installation of Yosemite will work if I use the UniBeast usb to start it. [edit] Scratch that. Now it's hanging up at the Yosemite startup screen with this method too.[/edit]

I do have a Western Digital WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 hard disk for my boot drive with the 4k block/boot0 issue, but I repair that, post installation, in terminal w/this command; sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2. That seems to have worked because the boot routine works up to the point when Yosemite starts to load.

I didn't do anything to the bios settings in this process. I have another drive that has an installation of Mavericks that boots and runs well on this customac, so I believe that the bios settings are okay.

Okay, now I've introduced another hard disk to the situation. It was also running successfully on this customac with Mavericks on it. It has regular size blocks, So there is no 4K boot0 situation at play. I partitioned it. I installed Yosemite from my Uni beast USB drive, Configured it with Multi beast and then restarted. No luck. Same situation. It gets to the Apple start up screen. I see the dark gray Apple logo and the progress bar appears but nothing happens.

Once multi beast has done its work the installation can't be started and run with Uni beast anymore either. This leaves me thinking that Multi beast is introducing some kind of conflict. I'm not too good on resolving such issues on my own, but I will keep poking around until I hear from higher powers.

somewhat confusing notes above....

please clarify:
1. do you have a working installation on a different drive or different partition? how many drives do you have installed right now?
2. are you able to boot into yosemite via a USB boot loader (clover or chameleon based)?
3. bios or uefi?

interestingly, I have a working yosemite install on drive 0, and one of my partitions on drive 1. A third installation on drive 2 WILL NOT boot using boot loader on any of the internal drives, but boots fine using my clover usb boot disk. as with you, i get to the apple screen but nothing happens. on verbose boot, I get to the PCI device line, and then nothing. this isn't really a problem for me since i have working install, but it is frustrating since my other drives are used for testing.

there might be something in common here that someone can comment on. It **might** have something to do with the multiple drive configuration. I would test with one drive alone.

Thanks for your reply.

After the initial install (on a h/d with one fresh partition) I can shut down and start up with the USB unibeast boot loader and selecting the fresh install on drive 0, BINGO! I've got a working Yosemite. But if I configure the installation with multi beast, and then restart, I can not get past the Yosemite startup screen no matter what, neither with the usb boot loader or by itself.

Then you're selecting the wrong options in Multibeast. Do a forum search for your motherboard to see what's working for others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back