Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello there,
Huge fan of the forum. This is my first post. Im a big believer in combing the threads to try and find the solution, but this one is stumping me. :banghead:

I loaded 10.6.6 from a fresh install that I have never done before.
I used your Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext after the others didn't work
I see my NIC in system preferences, but it is just doing a self assigned IP
I know the cable is good. Plugged my laptop into it, and works like a charm.
I did static IP, and still no light on my switch or the back of the tower for the network jack.

I have tried
"Check the following (After each of these steps, check if it "revives" your NIC, if not, move on...):
- Enter SmartLAN in the BIOS,
When I enter this mode for the SmartLAN, It says "Start detecting at Port.
Then it flashes for 2 sec Link Detected -> 1Gbps
Cable Length less than 10M...
It just keeps flashing that over and over and over

- Power-off the system, and leave it a while without power (all cables unplugged, including Ethernet),

Tried this

- Clear CMOS, reconfigure BIOS settings,
How exactly do I do this? Do I just select "Fail-Safe Defaults"? When I do that, it changes the ICH SATA Controller Mode to IDE. I change it back to AHCI ever time I do the above before saving
- Reflash BIOS, reconfigure BIOS settings.
Is this the same procedure as CMOS? "Fail-Safe Defaults"?

"Fail Safe defaults" seem to make my mouse and keyboard stop working. ugghhh
Alright, update, I cant get my mouse and keyboard to work at all. Now I need help with that as well. I figured I would post here because above are all the steps that I followed. I plugged in every usb port. I am getting a light on my keyboard, but cant get back into bios (via DEL key), or anything from the bios mode or within OSX. :crazy:
I really enjoy the support that you guys give.

GA-X58A-UD3R 120, OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series SSD, Intel Core i7 950, EVGA GeForce GTS450, 12G ram, loaded 10.6.6

Re: Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext - New Installer Package Available!

lightsgo said:
Hello there,
Huge fan of the forum. This is my first post. Im a big believer in combing the threads to try and find the solution, but this one is stumping me. :banghead:
:wave: Don't worry ;)

I have tried
"Check the following (After each of these steps, check if it "revives" your NIC, if not, move on...):
- Enter SmartLAN in the BIOS,
When I enter this mode for the SmartLAN, It says "Start detecting at Port.
Then it flashes for 2 sec Link Detected -> 1Gbps
Cable Length less than 10M...
It just keeps flashing that over and over and over

- Power-off the system, and leave it a while without power (all cables unplugged, including Ethernet),
:thumbup:

Tried this

- Clear CMOS, reconfigure BIOS settings,
How exactly do I do this? Do I just select "Fail-Safe Defaults"? When I do that, it changes the ICH SATA Controller Mode to IDE. I change it back to AHCI ever time I do the above before saving
To Clear CMOS, you should read your motherboard's manual. It's either a microswitch, or a jumper...
Then you should "Load optimized Defaults", and configure it for a hackintosh (See Tony's guide, or my blog for Optimal settings).

- Reflash BIOS, reconfigure BIOS settings.
Is this the same procedure as CMOS? "Fail-Safe Defaults"?
Same as above...

"Fail Safe defaults" seem to make my mouse and keyboard stop working. ugghhh
Alright, update, I cant get my mouse and keyboard to work at all. Now I need help with that as well. I figured I would post here because above are all the steps that I followed. I plugged in every usb port. I am getting a light on my keyboard, but cant get back into bios (via DEL key), or anything from the bios mode or within OSX. :crazy:
Try Clearing CMOS...

I really enjoy the support that you guys give.
:thumbup: It's indeed a great community !

YOU ROCK SIR!
RUNNING GREAT!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

lightsgo said:
YOU ROCK SIR!
RUNNING GREAT!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:D :thumbup:

Its strange that the speed of the connection seems to just be 100Mbps, if that. It was green when the computer was booting indicating that it was 1000Mbps, now it is orange representing 100Mbps. Any suggestions?

lightsgo said:
Its strange that the speed of the connection seems to just be 100Mbps, if that. It was green when the computer was booting indicating that it was 1000Mbps, now it is orange representing 100Mbps. Any suggestions?
Assuming you have right cabling and switch, check the Ethernet Advanced prefs...

So it was indeed set to 100baseT (under Auto) under advance / Ethernet window. I switched to 1000baseT, hit ok, then apply. Light instantly changed to green, then back to orange 30 sec later. :x
After a reboot, light turned green, then a min later, back to orange.
Then I ran the system Utilities group on multibeast. No change
Do you suggest a PCI card that has better luck? Seems common that people are having trouble.
Reason for needing the speed is transfering 500Gig of data from a server to this tower.

ANOTHER TOPIC. Not sure where to thread.

I want to have just the OS and software on my SSD. I have 2 1Tb drives as a RAID mirror right now for data. I was going to have another drive that I clone the SSD to to use as a test drive for new software updated from you guys and from apple. Is there a thread you can point me to that goes over this setup?
thanks for all your help.

Note: I split this to a separate thread.

lightsgo said:
So it was indeed set to 100baseT (under Auto) under advance / Ethernet window. I switched to 1000baseT, hit ok, then apply. Light instantly changed to green, then back to orange 30 sec later. :x
After a reboot, light turned green, then a min later, back to orange.
It seems it's not properly negotiating 1000baseT with your switch.
Do you have other machines connected to that switch working at 1000baseT ?
I've seen reports of this which ended up being cabling problems.
Try switching cables/switch port.
Also, please install the debug version and post your kernel.log

Then I ran the system Utilities group on multibeast. No change
No need for that. The installer takes care of it.

Do you suggest a PCI card that has better luck? Seems common that people are having trouble.
Your motherboard is fully supported, so I'm positive you'll be able to make it work.

Reason for needing the speed is transfering 500Gig of data from a server to this tower.
I assume that this tower has also 1Gb Ethernet, and it's properly working.

ANOTHER TOPIC. Not sure where to thread.

I want to have just the OS and software on my SSD. I have 2 1Tb drives as a RAID mirror right now for data. I was going to have another drive that I clone the SSD to to use as a test drive for new software updated from you guys and from apple. Is there a thread you can point me to that goes over this setup?
thanks for all your help.
It's your lucky day :lol:
Check my blog for detailed howto instructions on Moving OS X /Users to a separate partition

I was initially having the same problem with my UD5. Try using a different cable - preferably one that is KNOWN to work at 1GB from another system. I was having similar issues to yours - cable was good enough to work, but not good enough to run at 1GB. I even tried a couple of different cables. I finally got it to work by using a different cable that was from a different machine that was connecting at 1GB and running the smartlan tool in BIOS. Re-terminated the marginal cable and it started working at 1GB too.

I just think that if the cable does 1gb on my laptop, I should be able to plug that same cable into my hackintosh and get 1gb. I changed ports, but don't have another cable long enough at this time to change.
I assume that this tower has also 1Gb Ethernet, and it's properly working.
The tower above is a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with fully functional 1Gb connection.

Do you have other machines connected to that switch working at 1000baseT ?
Yes, and those machines running correctly 1Gb have had the cable for the Hackintosh plugged into the switch, and still ran 1Gb, thus I would believe eliminating the cable, and checking the port or the switch.

Also, please install the debug version and post your kernel.log
Could you point me to how to do this?

Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back