Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Board: Asus P6x58D-E
CPU: Intel I7 950
Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 Fermi, 768MB
HD: Vertex 2 SSD, 60GB

I have set followed Tony's guide to a tee. Removed a stick of ram to get down to 4GB, unplugged all extra drives and USB. DVD is on first SATA port, SSD is on the 2nd. Not using the 2x 6GB/S ports. BIOS settings for AHCI, suspend mode to S3, and DVD is first boot device, hard drive second.

Initially, the drive had a windows 7 install on it, which I was going to format away. After bringing up Disk Utility, and clicking Partition, the installer locked up for 20 minutes before I gave up. I booted an Ubuntu Live disk and partitioned the drive to remove the Windows System Information partition, and installed GUID Partition table. Then I created a full 60GB ext3 partition on there, hoping the OSX installer could deal with that. After getting back to the installer, I tried loading Disk Utility again, but it hung at "Getting Disk Information", again for 15 minutes or so before I gave up. Back to Ubuntu, I formatted the partition to FAT and tried once more. Disk Utility loaded this time, but there was no Partition tab. I had seen other people just use Erase and it seemed like that would be fine for me. I set it to the OSX Journaled filesystem as specified in the guide, and clicked erase. It then hung at "Unmounting Disk" for about an hour before I gave up completely.

I am at your mercy, lords of OSX! What have I missed?!

I think disk utility is hopelessly lost > find a windows computer, remove all partitions, reformat clean so that it is usable under windows. shut down the machine, disconnect and reconnect to the hacker, go into disk utility and reformat at the root, don't be frustrated that disk utility takes a while it can be rather "pedantic" let it do its thing.

Format the drive, or just delete all the partitions and leave it "erased"? If it should be formatted, then should it be NTFS, FAT32, or something else?

It's daytime, so I am in information-gathering mode, nighttime is for hackintosh head-beating! :)

Well, I tried it with the disk erased, and previously formatted as NTFS, neither works. Still can't get through disk utility in any fashion. I've also found a decent number of other posts around the web with the same issue. There is rarely a reply, leading me to believe this is a somewhat rare case that not enough smart people have run into yet. I am out of ideas on how to get this installed. My Vertex 2 sure seems to be well supported for hackintosh, but for whatever reason I just can't get it formatted...

Any other ideas? Or back to silly Windows? :(

niall111 said:
Well, I tried it with the disk erased, and previously formatted as NTFS, neither works. Still can't get through disk utility in any fashion. I've also found a decent number of other posts around the web with the same issue. There is rarely a reply, leading me to believe this is a somewhat rare case that not enough smart people have run into yet. I am out of ideas on how to get this installed. My Vertex 2 sure seems to be well supported for hackintosh, but for whatever reason I just can't get it formatted...

Any other ideas? Or back to silly Windows? :(
ASUS for some reason is weird and picky. Some people have reported that the only way to format a SSD on an ASUS board is to connect it to the 6Gb/s SATA port, but they don't say which boards.
Have you tried that?

niall111 said:

I have set followed Tony's guide to a tee. Removed a stick of ram to get down to 4GB, unplugged all extra drives and USB. DVD is on first SATA port, SSD is on the 2nd. Not using the 2x 6GB/S ports. BIOS settings for AHCI, suspend mode to S3, and DVD is first boot device, hard drive second.

you mentioned you removed a stick of ram "you have triple channel memory architecture on your motherboard "you cant leave only two sticks of ram in... it always has to be in three's....

just a thought...

Finally some one with a similar problem!
Here is my thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22040&p=142184#p142184

I hope some one here can get to the bottom of this. I have been working on it for 3+weeks now lol.

The HDD im using has been formated by an mac pro and still it hangs in the Install menu.

Going Bald said:
ASUS for some reason is weird and picky. Some people have reported that the only way to format a SSD on an ASUS board is to connect it to the 6Gb/s SATA port, but they don't say which boards.
Have you tried that?

THIS GUY! That was the solution I needed! I posted my results in the Guides section. Thank you so much, that was my biggest hurdle of the weekend, and now i'm fully functional! I'm off to make a donation to the maker of MultiBeast!

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=22617

Initially, the drive had a windows 7 install on it, which I was going to format away. After bringing up Disk Utility, and clicking Partition, the installer locked up for 20 minutes before I gave up. I booted an Ubuntu Live disk and partitioned the drive to remove the Windows System Information partition, and installed GUID Partition table. Then I created a full 60GB ext3 partition on there, hoping the OSX installer could deal with that. After getting back to the installer, I tried loading Disk Utility again, but it hung at "Getting Disk Information", again for 15 minutes or so before I gave up. Back to Ubuntu, I formatted the partition to FAT and tried once more. Disk Utility loaded this time, but there was no Partition tab. I had seen other people just use Erase and it seemed like that would be fine for me. I set it to the OSX Journaled filesystem as specified in the guide, and clicked erase. It then hung at "Unmounting Disk" for about an hour before I gave up completely.

I am at your mercy, lords of OSX! What have I missed?!

Guys, All about the windows systems. All u have to do find a Ubuntu or etc. bootable usb maybe then erase all of disk and format with ext4 (it works with me) then reboot computer start mac os installer get in disk utily and there u're erasing and mapping disk successfully <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back