Contribute
Register

Can't find a way to boot from usb for clean Catalina Installation. Help Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you install multibeast on your hard drives? That's how you created the USB drive right? You would need to repeat that same process but choose one of your SSDs or HDs instead, otherwise it won't boot, you'll be stuck using the flash drive.
both of my drives had multibeast installed and multibeasted. But when I connect it both at the same time it stucks at the begining refuse to resume untill I usb boot it again.
Ok thats not that important I need a working system :)

both of my drives had multibeast installed and multibeasted. But when I connect it both at the same time it stucks at the begining refuse to resume untill I usb boot it again.
Ok thats not that important I need a working system :)

A couple of ideas:

1) You might need a newer version of Clover. The UniBeast installer was written before the latest Catalina versions were released. The copy you got from the App Store will be the very latest.

For Clover, don't get the latest, go pre-5123. 5102 was a reliable one, but used a newer folder structure for EFI than the older 4*** versions did.

2) Remove non-critical drives or disconnect. You really only want one with an active EFI partition or the system can get confused.

3) Reset BIOS and reinstate the necessary macOS settings.

4) This is a very long-shot ... Try a Legacy MultiBeast install rather than UEFI. Don't try if you have no clue. Read up. The reason is, around the time of Z97 chipsets some motherboards refused to boot certain drives as UEFI. True this might not have been the case for your High Sierra install, but is worth a try if all else fails.

5) Remember to back-up any vital data before experimenting.

(Okay that was more than 2 !)

:)

A couple of ideas:

1) You might need a newer version of Clover. The UniBeast installer was written before the latest Catalina versions were released. The copy you got from the App Store will be the very latest.

For Clover, don't get the latest, go pre-5123. 5102 was a reliable one, but used a newer folder structure for EFI than the older 4*** versions did.

2) Remove non-critical drives or disconnect. You really only want one with an active EFI partition or the system can get confused.

3) Reset BIOS and reinstate the necessary macOS settings.

4) This is a very long-shot ... Try a Legacy MultiBeast install rather than UEFI. Don't try if you have no clue. Read up. The reason is, around the time of Z97 chipsets some motherboards refused to boot certain drives as UEFI. True this might not have been the case for your High Sierra install, but is worth a try if all else fails.

5) Remember to back-up any vital data before experimenting.

(Okay that was more than 2 !)

Good advice, he just created his usb boot drive using unibeast so figured it should work for his other drives as well… haven’t used Clover since OpenCore 5.2 so might not be my best advice

Good advice, he just created his usb boot drive using unibeast so figured it should work for his other drives as well… haven’t used Clover since OpenCore 5.2 so might not be my best advice

Hey no, I think you were fine. :thumbup: Just my fresh set of eyes with a few ideas. Unlike you though I forgot to mention clearing NVRAM ! Doh!

Those UEFI entries in the OPs BIOS just look wrong, not enough info as if the BIOS can't read them, yet the P1: Legacy option looks fine. That's what set me on the reset BIOS or install as Legacy path.

Hey no, I think you were fine. :thumbup: Just my fresh set of eyes with a few ideas. Unlike you though I forgot to mention clearing NVRAM ! Doh!

Those UEFI entries in the OPs BIOS just look wrong, not enough info as if the BIOS can't read them, yet the P1: Legacy option looks fine. That's what set me on the reset BIOS or install as Legacy path.

Dear friends I managed to change the boot sequence, but I gave up to run two ssd at the same time. I really don't have that courage to work around clover update etc.. By far when I want to use Catalina connect tat SSD. And when I want to return HS I disconnect other and put HS one. I works fine so far. Thank yo so so so so much both two of you for your patience and great help. I wouldn't be at this ponit without your helps.

The last question will be bout my Catalina installation especially Clover screen. When I stop and look the Clover scrren I found that there is 2 boot arguments there.
dart=0 and nvda_drv=1
COLVER3.jpg

I especially not select option "inject nvdia driver" in the boot USB creation Unibeast screen. Because I got GT 740 card.

And I looked at he GFX injector section and i see "Use Nvidia Web Drivers" option also ticked.

And "InjectIntel option" (I guess its my mainboard's onboard GFX card) also ticked.

When I tick off both two and use nvda_drv=0 system works flawless with no problem and system sees my GFX card normally with 2 GB ram actually (NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB)

When I don't tick off them leave them Its says its a NVDIA card with 6GB ram and more important its feels like the gfx are kind of slow. I cant find the exact word but it's kind of slow.

If I am not wrong ,I guess I should permanently tick off web driver and use nvda_drv=0 permanently.

Am I right? If so how can I do this changes ?

I know I asked a lot.

Thanks from now.

My all best regards.

CLOVER1.jpg

CLOVER2.jpg

Attachments

• CLOVER1.jpg
    CLOVER1.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 31
Dear friends I managed to change the boot sequence, but I gave up to run two ssd at the same time. I really don't have that courage to work around clover update etc.. By far when I want to use Catalina connect tat SSD. And when I want to return HS I disconnect other and put HS one. I works fine so far. Thank yo so so so so much both two of you for your patience and great help. I wouldn't be at this ponit without your helps.

The last question will be bout my Catalina installation especially Clover screen. When I stop and look the Clover scrren I found that there is 2 boot arguments there.
dart=0 and nvda_drv=1
View attachment 529048

I especially not select option "inject nvdia driver" in the boot USB creation Unibeast screen. Because I got GT 740 card.

And I looked at he GFX injector section and i see "Use Nvidia Web Drivers" option also ticked.

And "InjectIntel option" (I guess its my mainboard's onboard GFX card) also ticked.

When I tick off both two and use nvda_drv=0 system works flawless with no problem and system sees my GFX card normally with 2 GB ram actually (NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB)

When I don't tick off them leave them Its says its a NVDIA card with 6GB ram and more important its feels like the gfx are kind of slow. I cant find the exact word but it's kind of slow.

If I am not wrong ,I guess I should permanently tick off web driver and use nvda_drv=0 permanently.

Am I right? If so how can I do this changes ?

I know I asked a lot.

Thanks from now.

My all best regards.

View attachment 529050

View attachment 529051
Download Clover Configurator and use it to modify your boot arguments and remove the Nvidia Web Driver option.

Clover.png

Download Clover Configurator and use it to modify your boot arguments and remove the Nvidia Web Driver option.

View attachment 529053
should i remove

nvda_drv=1

"Use Nvidia Web Drivers"

"InjectIntel option"

should I remove all ???

I guess nvda_drv=1should be set to nvda_drv=0 , does this and "Use Nvidia Web Drivers" tick off are they all done tih Clover Configurator ?

should i remove

nvda_drv=1

"Use Nvidia Web Drivers"

"InjectIntel option"

should I remove all ???

I guess nvda_drv=1should be set to nvda_drv=0 , does this and "Use Nvidia Web Drivers" tick off are they all done tih Clover Configurator ?
nvda_drv=0 does nothing at all, you wouldn't use that boot argument as it doesn't exist as a boot argument

nvda_drv=0 does nothing at all, you wouldn't use that boot argument as it doesn't exist as a boot argument
then i should completely remove nvda_drv=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back